• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Iditarod or bust

jrussl

BENEFACTOR
Madison, WI
The lack of sunlight here in Wisconsin appears to be affecting me a bit early this winter. So I've hatched this plan.......why not fly my cub to AK and follow along the Last Great Race.

I am thinking of wheel skis for the WI-AK portion of the trip and then switch to my Federal 2000's that I will have shipped up to AK. I'll fly solo on the trip up and Rhonda will commercial up and meet me in ANC.

Two people in a Super Cub along with winter camping gear may be a bit much so we are looking to find a place to stay in Nome for a few days around the expected finish time. Might anyone here have a suggestion on locating accomodations in Nome for the finish? It looks like we may already have a place in Rainy Pass. Accomodations at other spots along the trail would be great but I suspect they are non-existent.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

The lack of sunlight here in Wisconsin appears to be affecting me a bit early this winter. So I've hatched this plan.......why not fly my cub to AK and follow along the Last Great Race.

I am thinking of wheel skis for the WI-AK portion of the trip and then switch to my Federal 2000's that I will have shipped up to AK. I'll fly solo on the trip up and Rhonda will commercial up and meet me in ANC.

Two people in a Super Cub along with winter camping gear may be a bit much so we are looking to find a place to stay in Nome for a few days around the expected finish time. Might anyone here have a suggestion on locating accomodations in Nome for the finish? It looks like we may already have a place in Rainy Pass. Accomodations at other spots along the trail would be great but I suspect they are non-existent.

Jeff

I'd keep the wheel skis on for the ANC to OME leg as well.

Good luck! Should be an adventure....

MTV

Two people in a Super Cub along with winter camping gear may be a bit much so we are looking to find a place to stay in Nome for a few days around the expected finish time.

Jeff

No way I’d fly out of the Anchorage general area, much less to Nome, without winter camping gear. Enough to comfortably live in the snow for a few days minimum, even if I’m not planning on it. With quality gear, you’d only be looking at maybe 30 lbs extra at most. And don’t forget you’ll need wing and engine covers.

Otherwise, it sounds like an awesome trip, and you definitely wont regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
I flew that twice on wheel skis stopping in local towns and finally Nome. We had camping gear and a couple sources of heat - 8x10 wall tent, wood stove, and propane catalytic for the Cessna's engine. Today I'd take a small gas generator for power and heat plus in case the battery got cold. Plan it like a camping trip and it'll be a great escape. Lots of daylight that time of year. The coastal weather can be brutal from the Yukon River westward so expect delays if camping. And as noted wind spoiler wing covers because the wind does blow. Screw ice anchors plus plenty of rope if parked on ice.

https://iditarod.com

Gary

You need to be prepared for camping a 3-4 days in -20 degree weather at a minimum you never know when that mag will go bad or the weather will hold you down. I would try to get one of the hotels right by the finish line but it is getting late for finding rooms. McGrath Hotel is great they had a plug in at the runway. also had some houses you could rent during Irondog. A sat phone is great for calling flight service and checking weather or to make a change in you room reservations. Skwentna roadhouse is a great place to get stuck until you get through the range. Get some numbers for the Iditarod Air Force. They will have a lot of up to date info. If you do not have a belly pod now is the time to get one. You can have it waiting in Anchorage and put it on in my hanger at birchwood if you want. How much fuel do you have? Might be a good ideal to carry a couple of bushwheel bags you could fill if weather means a big detour. Don't rely on any shore power for pre heat. If you need electricity bring a generator. Engine cover/wing covers with spoilers/ropes/anchors. It will be a great adventure.
DENNY

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions in your responses and pm's. Great advice as usual.

Wheel skis vs straight skis...........I have Trickair wheel penetration skis that are fine skis but they are definitely not fast off the snow, especially when loaded. And I absolutely love my Federals. Super light and very quick off the snow....at least most snow. It's good to know that wheel skis are the preference for access to fuel. Thanks Mike and others that PM'd

Winter camping gear.......I will definitely have a full complement of winter camping gear in case we need it. My reference to camping gear above should have been more specific. If I was "planning" to camp with my spouse, I would want a wall tent and stove. This,in addition to all the other stuff that I will bring along for unplanned winter events, is probably a bit too much for my Super Cub. I do have a Firmin pod and upper and lower extended baggage. Hotels and cabins will keep my passenger smiling more.

I've already have a great cowl cover, electric engine heater, Northern Companion gas heater, and ice screws. I'll need to get some wing covers with spoilers. I know there are lots of good threads about them and I'll check them out. I do have VG's so that's a consideration.

I have an InReach but will most likely also rent a Sat phone

I've got Dakota 24 gal tanks and usually burn around 7-7.5 per hour so have reasonable range. Will probably also bring along at least one Bushwheel bag.

Just starting to get reservations and planning done so lots more to learn and do.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming. Lots to learn and this group has so much good advice to share. I feel so fortunate to be part of it.

Jeff

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions in your responses and pm's. Great advice as usual.

Wheel skis vs straight skis...........I have Trickair wheel penetration skis that are fine skis but they are definitely not fast off the snow, especially when loaded. And I absolutely love my Federals. Super light and very quick off the snow....at least most snow. It's good to know that wheel skis are the preference for access to fuel. Thanks Mike and others that PM'd

Winter camping gear.......I will definitely have a full complement of winter camping gear in case we need it. My reference to camping gear above should have been more specific. If I was "planning" to camp with my spouse, I would want a wall tent and stove. This,in addition to all the other stuff that I will bring along for unplanned winter events, is probably a bit too much for my Super Cub. I do have a Firmin pod and upper and lower extended baggage. Hotels and cabins will keep my passenger smiling more.

I've already have a great cowl cover, electric engine heater, Northern Companion gas heater, and ice screws. I'll need to get some wing covers with spoilers. I know there are lots of good threads about them and I'll check them out. I do have VG's so that's a consideration.

I've got Dakota 24 gal tanks and usually burn around 7-7.5 per hour so have reasonable range. Will probably also bring along at least one Bushwheel bag.

Just starting to get reservations and planning done so lots more to learn and do.

Thanks again for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming. Lots to learn and this group has so much good advice to share. I feel so fortunate to be part of it.

Jeff

On the west side of the range, you will want the wheel skis. Half the places you will land will be pavement, especially OME. I am flying support for an irondog team this year IF my wheel ski's show up in time.

Jeff, this sounds like a GREAT ADVENTURE! Don't tell my wife... she will want to do it!

sj

I have VG's on the cub wing covers are fine just be careful putting them on and off. The places with fuel will be plenty long for the wheel skis and usually well maintained. That time of year straight skis can be a pain especially Nome. DENNY

Jeff,

I wouldn’t worry too much about the performance of the penetration skis on that route. Most of the places you’ll land are going to be well prepped by other aircraft. You likely will not have to pioneer a landing site, unless weather or ?? causes an unplanned stop.

MTV

Sometimes Alaska winter days don’t suck. Unfortunately, sometimes they do. That’s part of what makes life interesting.

Morning has broken. -10° F but pretty. The lull between two big snowstorms.

Attachments

• 07E1986D-8BF2-4332-9FC9-B6B1E2B9B0F7.jpg
    07E1986D-8BF2-4332-9FC9-B6B1E2B9B0F7.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 85
Sometimes Alaska winter days don’t suck. Unfortunately, sometimes they do. That’s part of what makes life interesting.

Winter often produced some of my favorite flying memories. The air is calm. But, Alaska offers some pretty hostile environments in winter especially. Go prepared, and you'll have a great time.

I have to say, however, that the only good thing about -40 is that you don't have to convert.....

MTV

Last edited:
Jeff

Just pack and prepare like you do not have an InReach or a sat phone. Then you should be ok. I'm not so sure about the wall tent concept. The Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT is the best tent I have ever owned for serious winter camps without a serious weight penalty.

Good Luck on your trip.

Jerry

Bunch of SWA pilots from Texas did this a few years ago. Here is part 1 of a three part video series. It was quite the adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vmuryjkano

Bill

I can set up my Hilleberg in a 40 mph rain storm by myself in about 5 minutes. Easy to put up is a big deal for beginning an unscheduled stay. And after that the sleeping bag is your friend. Choose wisely!

The best event during Iditarod is sitting around a bonfire as the mushers pass by. With the modern daytime restart the best place to do the bonfire thing is Shell Lake. Worth it if you can find a place to stay.

The best event during Iditarod is sitting around a bonfire as the mushers pass by. With the modern daytime restart the best place to do the bonfire thing is Shell Lake. Worth it if you can find a place to stay.

Fact.

My brother has a place a mile and a half upriver from Yentna Station. Iditarod night is always a favorite.

Still, I'd love to follow the race in my Cub someday. Maybe spend a few days in Takotna watching the pack come through, the leapfrog along the coast. The logistics seem a bit daunting - I'm enjoying following this thread.

Wind likes to tear up tents. Freestanding way less for damage, so that's a real concern if going to breezy camps. Pioneers used open floor canvas wall tents year round (that's all they had) but they'd take the time to rope them down and support well with timber. I stayed in one a couple of winters on a frame over a platform while building a cabin and trapping. Unlike the double wall Arctic Oven any stiff breeze at -20F or lower sucked the heat out. A wood stove that later heated the 16X24 cabin would barely keep up in a storm. Still, they are easy to use and make for a quick camp or lean-to wind break.

Arctic's tents are a very nice kit.

Gary

From March through May is a secret time for enjoying Alaskan flying. I say secret but for locals it's not. Daylight returns, daily temps start varying more than mid winter, there's lots of places to explore and enjoy, and look...no bugs or bears to share camping space with. That period and later July through September are the best of the year for many.

Gary

Until you have spent a week at Denali high camp at 17,200 feet stuck in a winter storm and praying your tent holds together with 70mph+ winds, you really won't know what your tent will survive. For me my ancient but stout Northface VE-24 is my save your ass tent. My Arctic Oven 10 is for glamping but too heavy to haul around. And quality snow stakes are a must. When the wind blows hard go set your tent up in the snow for practice and stake it down. Do some real world tests in your yard before you get out in the middle of no where. I had some custom hoops sewn into my VE-24 to make it easier to pitch with mittens on. When it's -30 or colder with wind, you don't want your fingers trying to work little plastic clips or feeding a ice cold rod through a sleeve.

Sounds like lots of fun!!

If you want, I have a single pole Arctic Oven you can borrow. I might have a set of cub spoiler covers also, need to look as I passed some gear on to a cub guy last year.

My single pole was called the 'Shockey', one of the early ones, so newer ones might be a bit different, it weighs in about 25 pounds.. I also have a VE-24 North face 4 seasons that is a tight three person, good two person winter tent, unless you need to spend a few days in it. I have both propane and wood stoves for the oven, but a lantern does great getting either tent warm with time.

60 below bags should never be out of your reach on that trip, and GOOD snowshoes- as in real ones with some length.

You can do it in the cub, but you need to be very careful in gear selection, and make sure every piece counts, but also have enough to keep safe.

Give me a shout if you want to talk gear

And here’s the same view 24 hours later. The leading edge of a multi-day storm. Better take some Snickers. At least it warmed up! ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 70
AK getting yet another big snow dumper. Not even Christmas and avalanche warnings and gridlock occurring. I think Anchorage is at 4 school day closures. Better have a good shovel, not one of them half ass midget shovels I carry on my Skidoo Tundra!

We got enough snow to confuse the dog when we opened the front door. It would have been a good enough night to test some of your winter gear pile and how it deploys in a mild blizzard.

IMG_5688.jpg
IMG_5689.jpg
Jerry

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 109
Same story here, and still dumping. My dog is going to make me take him on his morning walk. I’m going to play dead.

Supposed to snow for the next three days and then rain on Thursday. Then back to -10° over the weekend. Good times. I sure don’t miss parking outside right now.

There's a photo of a Cub (I think) on Facebook at MRL with the wings folded down.....ugh!!

MTV

Remember to take a couple books to read while you wait!!

You guys in Anchorage area, send some our way! We have less than knee deep on the ground here. A bit frustrating for plow contractors like me.

I’m watching a 980 loader working around the airport trying to make space for the grader to clear snow. And it’s only mid-December. This reminds me of how winters used to be around here. Except I was younger and more willing to dig out back then!

Still snowing.

Back