• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rudder service bulletin 1379 2nd December 2022

Can you give details on your internal sleeve installation? Tube O.D. X wall thickness? How installed, etc.
Thanks

The original rudder post is 7/8" OD x .035" wall 1025 mild steel. If you clean up some of the weld slag on the inside of the rudder tube you can slide a 3/4" OD 4130N tube inside all the way to the top. I would think that .035" wall thickness would suffice more than adequately. NTSB Report With Data

Regarding rudder post liner tube

Steve,
Thank you for that information. Wonder why Piper and NTSB did not propose that solution. If a 7/8” 4130 tube has that much safety margin, surely a 3/4” 4130 liner tube will get you home if the 1025 tube fails.
Don

If available be sure to suggest that sleeve method as an alternative means of compliance if a NPRM is developed for Part 91.

Gary

I wonder if new rudders for J-3s and PA-11s made by Univair and others use 4130 steel. My guess is that to comply with manufacturer specs for a PMA approved part, they are made from 1025 steel, but I emphasize that is a guess.[/QUOTE]

My guess was wrong. I just spoke with Jason at Univair. He stated that all Cub rudders made by Univair have used 4130 chromemoly steel since the mid 1970s.

Yes, Univair states that they use 4130 tubing on their website. Has anyone found a source for small quantities of 70% nitric acid?

I have not seen a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking which is usually what precedes the FAA issuing an Airworthiness Directive but just got an email from Airframes Alaska with this video saying the AD is coming. Curious to their insight.

Can any one on this website confirm if Back country supercubs had the rudder made of 4130.My machine was fabricated in 2013.Thanks. in advance.

Can any one on this website confirm if Back country supercubs had the rudder made of 4130.My machine was fabricated in 2013.Thanks. in advance.

1025 hasnt been available for a long long time. Piper started using 4130 for flight controls in ‘74 Your fine.

Last edited:
The NTSB found 5 occurrences, 3 PA12, 1 PA14 and 1 PA18. the FAA has found 12 occurrences. Not sure what all models they were on. Bottom line is all the rudders are the same part number and seems the 1025 mild steel ones built by Piper prior to June 3, 1974.

To answer a previous question, neither Piper with a fractured rudder post had the required ventral fin installed.
I am trying to find out where the three non-accident rudders the NTSB cites were located. Two were in repair facilities (unnamed and no location) and one was in response to the Airworthiness Concern Sheet.
All five rudders mentioned here had an after market beacon or strobe mounted on the rudder. All five involved aircraft had higher horsepower engines.
But I'd really like to know where those other 3 rudders came from.
Anyone who can share an answer, I'd appreciate it.

Back