• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

High Temp Silicone tape/wrap

WWhunter

FRIEND
Near the Headwaters of the Mighty Mississippi Rive
I've got a SCAT tube that runs very close to my exhaust. The exhaust is wrapped with an exhaust wrap that is abrasive to the SCAT tube and will wear a hole through it. The engine is tightly cowled and there really isn't anyplace else that I can run this tube. Generally I have used the high temp RTV to hold things in place. Has anyone used any type of high temperature silicone tape near the exhaust? Mainly want to wrap the SCAT tube for added protection and to hold it out of the way. I was thinking about something like this: Permatex 82112 Self-fusing Silicone Tape

Any recommendations of what I can use? Thanks!!

If there’s room, and it’s practical, you may also consider clamping a metal heat shield to exhaust.
even a 1/2” air gap will provide big drop in temps. Also act as a stand-off for scat tube.
maybe combination of both - heat shield and hi temp wrap?

Make a standoff with a glob of RTV. Put a shim in place to hold the spacing while the RTV cures. Maybe make a bundle of exhaust wrap to make the spacer.

Last edited:
It's going to be a trial and error thing to see what works best, but I'd recommend starting with what Stewart said. Glue a metal shim between the two and run it for a while. And use high temp RTV instead of the regular.

Web

I have a place where my exhaust contacts exhaust. I bought some exhaust pipe wrap from O’Reilly’s and folded it into a 4 layer packet with high temp RTV to hold it together. Left it in a vice grip to let the RTV cure. Pushed it into place. So far, so good.

I have wrapped a piece of silicone baffle material around SCAT tube before but wasn't in direct coct with the exhaust. Might need a little experimentation.

Thank everyone for the great help and advice. I got some high temp RTV and I think I have some baffling material. will try that first. I'll tie the scat tubing in a position that I want it and then goop it up good. Hopefully it'll be a little warmer out today to allow me to get it done. Had to get a 3rd function hydraulic installed on my tractor and the high yesterday was around 5 degrees. -14 windchill earlier and no heat in my shop. Brrr.

Back