• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Getting the tabs welded on for a set of LW-2500

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Hi Guys, I have a set of LW-2500 wheel skis and would like to mount them on my Husky. I called Airglass and to say the least they were not helpful. Refused to sell the tabs that need to be welded on. They are certified for the Husky , so at least that is easy.
Anybody ever go thru this and/ or have a shop I can go to near Norhern NY. Thanks Tom.

That’s interesting. I bought a set of new Airframes gear and Airglass welded the tabs prior to powder coating. Could this have to do with welding them in a jig? If you go with a set of Trickair skiis, they send you the tabs to weld on yourself. Yes the Trick Airs are approved for Husky’s.

Last edited:
I installed a set of Aero Skis on a Husky. There was no welding required.

iu

Hi Guys, I have a set of LW-2500 wheel skis and would like to mount them on my Husky. I called Airglass and to say the least they were not helpful. Refused to sell the tabs that need to be welded on. They are certified for the Husky , so at least that is easy.
Anybody ever go thru this and/ or have a shop I can go to near Norhern NY. Thanks Tom.

Wow! That company sure went downhill from the way it was when owned by Wes and Gary…..miss thipose guys.

MTV

Atlee has the Jig for welding on the tabs and to build the stub axels, you have to either bring your gear to Atlee to get it done or with of cub gear most guys just buy the atlee gear with the ski tabs and axle.

That would be a bit more of a deal, I’d have to switch over to cub gear first on the husky, again not a big deal but lots more money. You don’t need. Jig to put them on, also don’t want to GRN. The plane while I remove the gear , ship it to Alaska , have it mod.‘ed shipped back, buy new bungee’s reinstall.in general just a pain in the butt and will never do business with Airglass if I can avoid it. I Do thank you for the recommendations , just frustrated with this. I will ge a good welder and have him build what I need.

Another couple of thoughts. Do you have the stub axles and will they sell you the STC paperwork? The stub axles and tab all need to be in alignment with the ski. If you pm me a reminder, I will get you the measurements for the tabs of the new set in my shop. I would assume they are the same for SC and Husky but not positive.

Not familiar with those skis but if you can get pictures of a similar installation, any fab shop can make you the parts and any good welder can attach them. If like TrickAirs, you must align the skis with the airframe before welding. Did my TrickAirs locally in Rochester.

Jim

I see on Airglas’ website that the attachments and welding are part of the sales price of a set of those skis. They obviously don’t want to be bothered with “second hand” installations. Good grief, talk about customer support.

MTV

AEF2A455-032D-4C2A-8855-8DC14B18ED0B.jpeg

F26AB5DF-5077-4625-B24E-526AABC50463.jpeg

Attachments

• AEF2A455-032D-4C2A-8855-8DC14B18ED0B.jpeg
    AEF2A455-032D-4C2A-8855-8DC14B18ED0B.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 108
  • F26AB5DF-5077-4625-B24E-526AABC50463.jpeg
    F26AB5DF-5077-4625-B24E-526AABC50463.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 123
I was able weld the fittings on the gear without pulling the gear legs on my husky by using a hoist and using the ski as a template to get the placement correct.

WOW , these last two post are what I was looking for! I’m going to take the drawing to a local machine shop and see what happens. Thank you very much.

Thanks for posting those drawings. I’ll be keeping copies in my parts book.

I have a CAD drawing of the ears and the radius section they’re welded to but it’ll be Tuesday before I can get to it. With the inboard weldment positioned and welded on the lower gear, as shown above, the stub axle will position itself when attached to the ski. Then a 3/16” hole is drilled through the axle and stub, keeping it aligned, and a roll pin inserted.

EDIT: Found the relevant doc from Airglas that explains why they won’t sell the bracket. Looks like they have a jig to ensure proper placement. Not the way I’d manage the product, but it is what it is…
See attached

Attachments

• Ski Landing Gear Selection Criteria.pdf
    75.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I’ve asked Airframes and Atlee about adding LH tabs to gear. Both said no, not without the STC in hand. I really didn’t want LH skis, anyway. You’d think Airglas would want you to add their fittings!

What skis are you running on your experimental Cub?

I’ve asked Airframes and Atlee about adding LH tabs to gear. Both said no, not without the STC in hand. I really didn’t want LH skis, anyway. You’d think Airglas would want you to add their fittings!

I bought some TrickAirs from another member here but haven’t welded the fittings on yet. They’re a little small for my plane but I have an idea to enlarge them. In a perfect world I’d buy Rosti skis. And I still might.

I bought some TrickAirs from another member here but haven’t welded the fittings on yet.

I would fab a bolt-on bracket. Something like pictured bellow:

BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39 copie.jpg

Attachments

• BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39 copie.jpg
    BDFD5591-A77E-42CC-AB69-6C242EDDED39 copie.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 53
With TK’s bolted-in axles, making bolt-on fittings will be easier than welding, but in truth I could go either way. That’s a January project. I have no interest in flying with the days as short as they are now.

The trick air skis get torqued around this bracket pretty good I would be careful with bolt on fittings.

I ran them on a Maule for several years, the next owner managed to brake the gear itself -- cracked weld on the main tube hitting drifts.

With skis and only one attach point there is a lot of torque on this one mount.

Any movement once the holes loosen up the ski moves a bit more out of line and the forces increase even more.

I did weld mine and the attach obviously was stronger than the maule landing gear.

FWIW the Heavy duty gears have gussets were this Gear broke. Still I would weld the next one again.

With Trick air make sure that you consider the Bungees pulling the ski tip in pretty hard even more with springs if there is any movement.

The Heavy duty landing gear works way better to keep the ski aligned while moving back and forth on pavement.

If I continue down this road my plan is to use a piece of 1 3/4 x .120 4130 tube to slip over my axle support and capture it with longer axle bolts. Then weld tabs to that. It’ll be plenty strong. I may detour and buy Datums instead. I prefer retractable skis and installing Datums will be pretty simple.

Attachments

• B285138E-56EF-4455-BDA6-B5088A55408E.jpeg
    B285138E-56EF-4455-BDA6-B5088A55408E.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 32
Back