Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Powdercaot and Superflite

Post Thanks / Like

Powdercaot and Superflite

I've got some bare metal tail feathers that I need to paint or powdercoat. I've powdercoated all of my interior panels and a number of other steel parts but recently learned that standard powdercoating is not impervious to acetone. I'll be using Superflite, and that process uses acetone to cut the glue and is a primary component of the process in general. I've used it before and had no problems on an American Champion.

My questions are:
    • Is there a reason why I should worry about this during covering? Surely I'm not the first person to attach superflite to a powdercoated component. It seems like it would stick just fine even though it would soften the powdercoat until it flashed off and cured.

• Should I just paint the tail parts with epoxy like the fuselage is done? and not worry about it?
      • If so, What product is recommended?

This ain't my first rodeo but I'm hoping for an "8 second" ride for this project....

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coating materials vary just like paint. In paint there are enamels, lacquers, urethanes, etc. Powder coating materials have many different flavors as well. How well it stands up to acetone….well that depends.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Structural integrity of fabric relies on a fabric to fabric bond, thus the required overlap.
    If solvents aren’t cutting too deeply into powdercoating as to compromise it’s integrity I don’t think there’s an issue.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Specify an appropriate powder coat for your materials.
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Some powder coats will literally disintegrate with acetone or mek. Specify the correct powder coat. Stop by the hangar and we can discuss.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have powder coated everything that has been covered in Superflite no problems at all. Does not touch the powder coat. I wipe down the new finish with acetone then purple scotchbrite where the fabric is going to attach and then wipe down again before applying the glue to the frame. No problem at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauleguy View Post
    I have powder coated everything that has been covered in Superflite no problems at all. Does not touch the powder coat. I wipe down the new finish with acetone then purple scotchbrite where the fabric is going to attach and then wipe down again before applying the glue to the frame. No problem at all.
    Might you know what type of powder your coater is using?

Here is a good explanation of the different types of powders that are available.

https://www.ifscoatings.com/content/...wder-coatings/

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes phdigger123 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know Javeron uses Gull Lake Powder Coat in Brainerd, MN. I think they use a zinc rich powder prior to color. I have used them and they do very good work at a reasonable price. They would know.

I used to not be a fan of powder coating but have since done a 180* after seeing their work. And despite the rumors, it’s not that hard to remove for repairs. It softens easily with heat and comes off with a wire wheel. I even had the do some aluminum floor boards. I wasn’t sure the .032 aluminum could go in the oven to bake the PC, but they turned out fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D8E265AD-4CD7-44EA-8159-485527890E82.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	63728
    Last edited by KJC; 11-25-2022 at 08:54 AM.
    PA-12 N418BS
    Likes Farmer Ted liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The powder they use is Cardinal CR1372 zinc rich primer and BK08 to topcoat (Polyester I believe). It does not cost that much more to have them do the primer. The price varies widely for powder coating as I have found throughout the years. I found a place in Portland that is the cleanest most organized powder coating outfit I have ever been to. They did my last fuselage for 636.00, but they did say the next one would be 200.00 more that was on 2/2022. That included the 4 place Airframes fuselage, 4 aluminum lift struts, cross bar, rear seat base and 2 door frames. They did an excellent job. Advanced Powder Coating Inc. Portland, OR.

I had them do my narrow body after wrecking it and they sandblasted it first so I could do the repairs and then did the powder a few months later it also looked great.

I do all my interior panels, but I prep them myself before taking them in. I have done down to .016 no problem at all.