• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA Extending Aircraft Registration Period to Seven Years

Another question that begs asking: Why did it take the FAA 4 years to make the change when it was forced upon by Congress in 2018?
Four year is lightning speed for the FAA. Making thing onerous on users is their intention, especially GA. There is no culpability or responsibility, and they even have many internal "processes" to ensure nothing ever gets done. I know this as a fact.

Last edited:
Many here will remember that the registration never expired. We were so annoyed by the 3 year renewal that we think renewing every 7 years is productive? Just completed a renewal in the last 30 minutes so may be over sensitive.
As it should be again.

Many here will remember that the registration never expired. We were so annoyed by the 3 year renewal that we think renewing every 7 years is productive? Just completed a renewal in the last 30 minutes so may be over sensitive.
One of their many "tricks". Three steps backwards, a half step forward (required by an act of Congress). Care to guess how many FAA "working groups" worked on this revised requirement?

Last edited:
Why does it take so long to get a registration? I bought this aircraft months ago and had local fisdo check my paperwork before sending to Ok and I see they cashed the check yet another month and yet no registration.

The way AFS-750 is going, you might have to renew your registration before you actually get the registration. I think my extension on my temporary is for 240 days!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why does it take so long to get a registration? I bought this aircraft months ago and had local fisdo check my paperwork before sending to Ok and I see they cashed the check yet another month and yet no registration.
They want you to believe it's due to their incompetence. Most of the time it is, but they purposely built that incompetence into the system. It's intentional.

Fixing a non existing problem. Renewals happen in days right now. Took mine less than a week to come. And $5 every three years won’t break me. My buddy is on his second 180 day extension on a new registration. Extending the renewal requirement, which is totally automated will not free up any significant resources. But I’ll take the $25 bucks I’ll save over the next four years and use it for fuel……..in my tug.

So,in reading the text it says registration issued in 2020 will expire in 2027. My registration was issued in March of 2020. It has a printed expiration date of 2023. Will they automatically send me a new one?

Fixing a non existing problem. Renewals happen in days right now. Took mine less than a week to come. And $5 every three years won’t break me.

The cost of the 3 year renewal was not significant to me. What was significant is that, if I missed a renewal, my IA would not sign off an annual inspection and the aircraft could not be flown until I sorted the mess out.

Why should I be put at risk of grounding every 3 years, now to be extended to 7 years, when I was previously at no risk of having my registration expire?

Last edited:
Interesting to me that FAA renewal is only $5.
That can't even come close to covering the time spent processing the renewal.
Washington nicks me $65 a year for my state registration.

So,in reading the text it says registration issued in 2020 will expire in 2027. My registration was issued in March of 2020. It has a printed expiration date of 2023. Will they automatically send me a new one?
I noticed that too. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Interesting to me that FAA renewal is only $5.
Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas. :evil:

We aviators are going to really miss the Senior Senator from Oklahoma. He had a big hand in the FAA re-authorization act and told me about this fix last time I saw him in DC. I'll contend that nobody in modern history has done more for general aviation than Jim Inhofe who is entering a well-earned retirement where he can fly upside down and toss all the snowballs he wants, have fun Jim. I'll see you at Tulsa Riverside (RVS) or South Grand Lake Regional (1K8).

We aviators are going to really miss the Senior Senator from Oklahoma. He had a big hand in the FAA re-authorization act and told me about this fix last time I saw him in DC. I'll contend that nobody in modern history has done more for general aviation than Jim Inhofe who is entering a well-earned retirement where he can fly upside down and toss all the snowballs he wants, have fun Jim. I'll see you at Tulsa Riverside (RVS) or South Grand Lake Regional (1K8).

He and Ted Stevens were great gate keepers. Don Young in the house.

Do we have anyone left?

Yes, Inhofe was invaluable for GA pilots. I may not agree with his politics, but I sent him a thank-you note. Sorry he won't be there to help us in the future - but surely some other ornery aviator will take his place? How about unlocking the FSDOs so we can see how many of these folks actually show up and do a day's work? Or unlocking them so they can actually help us?

Re-registration is not a problem - missing the due date should not have any more consequence than an e-mail exchange within, say, an hour on a workday, to make your IA happy!

Fixing a non existing problem. Renewals happen in days right now. Took mine less than a week to come. And $5 every three years won’t break me. My buddy is on his second 180 day extension on a new registration. Extending the renewal requirement, which is totally automated will not free up any significant resources. But I’ll take the $25 bucks I’ll save over the next four years and use it for fuel……..in my tug.

I sent in my renewal application in August and have not received my renewal.
My registration expires year end, I am desperate to get this behind me, an attempt to call was unproductive. I am not up to speed on new technology!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I sent in my renewal application in August and have not received my renewal.
My registration expires year end, I am desperate to get this behind me, an attempt to call was unproductive. I am not up to speed on new technology!
I renewed on line with very quick results. A week or two... very surprising.

The rationale for the whole re-register thing was to clean up the database. Done. Do it again in 30 years. The drill these days is to complain by writing after 90 days, and they issue a letter that gives you a year. Ummmm... just give me the registration?

I online renewed 10 days ago and got my registration yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It got to the point ridiculous, we reg. Five of our aircraft and four of the boss’s and it was always a joke. The problem is if you are expired the insurance company will not pay a claim.

It got to the point ridiculous, we reg. Five of our aircraft and four of the boss’s and it was always a joke. The problem is if you are expired the insurance company will not pay a claim.

This depends on state regulations. In NYS if you have insurance and you are paid up, they must pay. Unless of course you have done something specifically prohibited in the policy. My policy does not say anything about valid registrations being required.

And, yes. The FAA registration process is a joke at this point. Why even bother?

I renew online and it arrives very timely every time, 8 different airplanes. The one that took time was when I bought the new Super Cub, that took about 7 months.

Renewals without changes are pretty quick. New registrations (during aircraft sale) and some changes are very slow. I haven’t checked in the past few weeks but when checking in recently, the FAA registry was taking 190 days to process new registrations. A lot of time is getting wasted processing extensions right now too, which doesn’t help the new registration timeline.

—Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when checking in recently, the FAA registry was taking 190 days to process new registrations. A lot of time is getting wasted processing extensions right now too, which doesn’t help the new registration timeline.

Last week they told me they were working on (new) registration applications from 19 May 22. Then they sent me a letter of extension for someone else's N number! Just got the right one this morning.

Note - not trying to dump on the FAA. Everyone makes mistakes. I just thought it was funny. I'm sure they'll get my paperwork processed by May when this extension runs out - right?

I bought a Super Cub in June. FINALLY- I see online the FAA got around to registering in my name. I sent the paperwork in 3 times, each time with the $5 fee and got one to hit. It took 7 months. FWIW- it's only valid for 3 years.

AK737

Back