• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

SC & J3 Engine Blanket

Sikorsky

Does anybody have a print for a well fitting engine blanket for SC or Specifically a J3? I want to make a well fitting engine cover out of a Hudson Bay blanket or bear skin. Thoughts. Pictures. Ideas welcome and appreciated.

Zach

What the local cover makers did was take some thin Visqueen polyethylene plastic sheeting and wrap it around the cowl. Doesn't have to be pretty and leave some looseness. Tape it along the seams and overlaps into one unit, then cut a seam along either the bottom or side. Unfold it then use as a pattern.

Gary

It was a "Trade Secret" until the owner confided over morning coffee. Same for wing-tail-fuselage-windshield-prop covers. Cover the area and tape it down to the fuselage or itself. Once a pattern works keep a fabrication mule hung on the rack for next time.

I've had both insulated and just plain canvass engine covers. Most of the time the simple cover does the job unless parked for hours in the cold before flying again. Windproof helps as much as insulation.

Gary

I told my wife that if I ever became the opposite of dumb and poor that I was going to buy a bearskin rug and a Buffalo robe. She said that’d look great in the trailer house I’d probably be living in.

Better yet...set up a canvas wall tent with wood stove and kerosene lamp. The bearskin rug covering the dirt floor for comfort, and a warm robe, what else can one ask for? Oh, and a rocking chair plus elevated sleeping pad.

I did that one winter on weekends while I built a remote cabin nearby. Should have stopped with that tent and forgot about the cabin.

Gary

You folks to the south have ground pests....snakes bugs and sh+t...I understand the need for an isolation barrier. Anything that can hurt us up here is big enough to promptly kill.

Gary

The nasty old bear hide is toooo Grizzly Adams...... But a nice 6 point Hudson's Bay the way to go, you can pick one up reasonable at the moment, it can double as a survival suit for your rear seat passenger if your flying in below zero temps??? Screenshot_20221123-005136.png
Might save their life.
I can assure you will have the only one! Likely enough left over to make yourself a cool jacket? All the guys around here that have bearskin engine covers just wear one of these........
Screenshot_20221111-072427.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221123-005136.png
    Screenshot_20221123-005136.png
    202 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20221111-072427.png
    Screenshot_20221111-072427.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I told my wife that if I ever became the opposite of dumb and poor that I was going to buy a bearskin rug and a Buffalo robe. She said that’d look great in the trailer house I’d probably be living in.

IMG_2857.jpg

That reminded me of this picture I took in the Cabela's store in Anchorage......

Attachments

• IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 40
Anyone who suggests a bear hide engine cover either hasn't ever picked up a bear hide, or doesn't care about gross weight, especially in a J-3!

It's why God made down and polyester.....

MTV

And I looked and I have a somewhat poor picture of an original buffalo robe.

IMG_0860.jpg

It is hanging under the canoe. In early July of this year my wife and I decided to fly to Ft. Benton, MT and visit the museums there. Early Montana history, fur trade, etc. Well worth the visit and the airport is close to town.

I actually found a horn in the 1990's while we were antelope hunting. It had to have been laying there for 125 years or so.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 52
Back