• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing tip bow

kodiakcub

I'm in the process of rebuilding some PA11 wings. A local cub builder suggested I use formed aluminum tubing for the wing tip instead of the wooden wing tip bow that piper used, he says it's much more rigid. Is this a modification anyone else has done?
Thanks
Dan

I'm in the process of rebuilding some PA11 wings. A local cub builder suggested I use formed aluminum tubing for the wing tip instead of the wooden wing tip bow that piper used, he says it's much more rigid. Is this a modification anyone else has done?
Thanks
Dan

I would not do it...

Me neither. First, the ash bow is shaped. Second, ash bends on impact; aluminum stays bent. Third, ash absorbs shock better when you hit that fencepost or the hangar door. Fourth, it is probably lighter.

I no longer drill holes for the spar attach fitting screws. I glue the bow, then wrap it with fabric around the fittings. Seems to stay there, and they don't break at the spars.

Being rigid is usually great once the lights go out!! The rest of the time flexible is usually best. :wink:
DENNY

Me neither. First, the ash bow is shaped. Second, ash bends on impact; aluminum stays bent. Third, ash absorbs shock better when you hit that fencepost or the hangar door. Fourth, it is probably lighter.

I no longer drill holes for the spar attach fitting screws. I glue the bow, then wrap it with fabric around the fittings. Seems to stay there, and they don't break at the spars.
What are you using to glue the wood to the steel fittings?
Thanks
Dan

My IA says his wife gives him crap every time she finds the bows in the hot tub the night before they go on!!
DENNY

I have had no issue with broken tip bows at the spar but I don't use nitrate/butyrate dope that continues shrinking over the life of the fabric, pulling the tip bow in my flate spots between each attach point. I have a simple plywood fixture to shape the bow in, good epoxy varnish and install just like Piper did however the PA11 probably only had braces between the front and rear spars. Later model Pipers used 4, 2 to the top spar cap and 2 to the bottom spar caps. Keeps the tip bow from twisting up over the years. Got into that on J3 and PA16 wings I have rebuild.
102_5237.JPG

Attachments

• 102_5237.JPG
    102_5237.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 707
Tha tip bow that I removed was twisted and had a flat spot. It didn't have nearly as much bracing as you show in the picture.
Thanks
Dan

Steve is right, of course, unless you use nitrate/butyrate. But if you hit something the tip bow will crack at the holes.

I use Pliobond, and I wrap 102 fabric, attached with Super Seam, and heat shrunk. And yeah, once in a while I hit the hangar door - less lately with decent tow bars, but still . . .

I have had no issue with broken tip bows at the spar but I don't use nitrate/butyrate dope that continues shrinking over the life of the fabric, pulling the tip bow in my flate spots between each attach point. I have a simple plywood fixture to shape the bow in, good epoxy varnish and install just like Piper did however the PA11 probably only had braces between the front and rear spars. Later model Pipers used 4, 2 to the top spar cap and 2 to the bottom spar caps. Keeps the tip bow from twisting up over the years. Got into that on J3 and PA16 wings I have rebuild.
View attachment 63582

Do you treat the bow in some way ( steam or soak in hot water) before you put it in your plywood fixture?

Do you treat the bow in some way ( steam or soak in hot water) before you put it in your plywood fixture?
The tips are preformed when made but get straightened out for shipment. I bought a gross from the original makers and paid to have them motor freighted. They came in a fixture that holds them in the proper shape. When I was buying them from Univair I would soak them in a kiddie pool and put them in a fixture I made to put the shape back into them.

This is how a gross of tip bows come from the Amish.
PXL_20221118_173119381.jpg
And this is my fixture I use to use when I bought tip bows from Univair.
PXL_20221118_173329078.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221118_173119381.jpg
    PXL_20221118_173119381.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 369
  • PXL_20221118_173329078.jpg
    PXL_20221118_173329078.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 369
Make a soaking pipe. A length of PVC pipe and two caps from the plumping aisle. Put the bow in, soak or steam as necessary. Form in place on the wing. A section of gutter works, too.

Back