• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fairleads during cable replacement

There is a ring tool, KD-2354, with flat ends that work well for installing the rings. Not so much for taking them off.

GearWrench 2534 E-Ring Lock-Ring Pliers

KDT2534_1200Wx1200H.jpg

attachment.php

All control cables I have installed in the past have been at recover. This is the first time installing with cover on the bird. So my advice, even though not solicited, is to never, never buy a pre-made set to install on a covered cub.
Every fairlead and pully needs to come apart. Pulling a cable with one bare end would be a simple process. Never too old to learn the hard way.........and no pheasants in the freezer yet.

attachment.php

All control cables I have installed in the past have been at recover. This is the first time installing with cover on the bird. So my advice, even though not solicited, is to never, never buy a pre-made set to install on a covered cub.
Every fairlead and pully needs to come apart. Pulling a cable with one bare end would be a simple process. Never too old to learn the hard way.........and no pheasants in the freezer yet.

Sense your an old pro now, want to swing by and help with these rudder cables? I already replaced the elevator. Not during recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that's a bad thing how? I used to have a girlfriend who would read a particular film reviewer in the paper. If they hated the movie it was going to be good. Worked every time. Just because someone doesn't want to do something your way doesn't mean they're unsafe or even disrespectful. The person who fails to endorse your advice is not belittling it. Perhaps they're even looking for something they can eventually join you in, but haven't gotten there yet. The mere act of asking indicates some level of respect, so "Accentuate the Positive" and enjoy that - even if it's not what you'd hoped for.

And that's a bad thing how? I used to have a girlfriend who would read a particular film reviewer in the paper. If they hated the movie it was going to be good. Worked every time. Just because someone doesn't want to do something your way doesn't mean they're unsafe or even disrespectful. The person who fails to endorse your advice is not belittling it. Perhaps they're even looking for something they can eventually join you in, but haven't gotten there yet. The mere act of asking indicates some level of respect, so "Accentuate the Positive" and enjoy that - even if it's not what you'd hoped for.

Save the time and don't ask. It gets old when 10 people or more a day ask you questions

You've missed the point. The guys from the sign don't really want the advice, they want you to affirm that THEIR way is the best.

And, by the way, if you see Dolf Lundgren in the cast, don't bother with the movie.

Web

Save the time and don't ask. It gets old when 10 people or more a day ask you questions
I definitely get that, but also it depends on whether they're freeloaders or good customers. I think Redowl is right in the point he makes, but I also agree that it's a different point than you had in mind. Asking for advice then insisting on receiving a particular answer is not honest asking.

They usually ask for my opinion and then when I give them my experience and opinion they want to argue about it. Like wireweinie posted, they just want affirmation when they argue about my response. It works for me and I don't need any practice.

This was just a joke with Dave cause he called me and I told him how I would do it. He chose a different way and there are way more pheasants flying around Yankton because of it. 8)

After climbing inside to do the fair lead close to the baggage I figured there would be a 0% chance I’d ever get back out.
f93f66636ac52fc26f8958d431baeaf3.jpg

e9457da49fe5f7b3cb4f58225c71ade5.jpg

Jeeze it’s like pierce has done this once before. Ha ha.

Total time to get the rudder cable fairleads out plus post on supercub.org 19 min. Sorry Dave.

Total time to get the rudder cable fairleads out plus post on supercub.org 19 min. Sorry Dave.

Yeah, but I don't have a hole in my cub ;-)
Also, I'm not using the top aileron cable sets from Univair.....making my own. Those pre-made sets would be nice to install with no covering but I wouldn't advise
it on a covered cub. Elevator cables look good so I'm only going to replace the short forward section around the pulley.

attachment.php

and no pheasants in the freezer yet.

You know how to fix that?...

Fun fact the rudder cable attachment to the rudder won’t fit through the metal fairlead holes in the fuselage.

I was trying to pull the new cables with the old ones. It’s a one way road! Had to drop some parts off for paint, 4 hr drive or an hour flight.
cca68d3eacfe618a189e61c310023a83.jpg

Easily distracted in the way home
abeff278a0f5126ad9d0361ee772ab3e.jpg

Back