• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fairleads during cable replacement

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
Any tips on installing the snap ring of the rear rudder fairleads? I have just the one inspection panel on the left side other than the jackscrew panels and the far aft rectangular panel.
Looks like I might have to add another inspection hole so I can use both hands. Thoughts?

Maybe modify some internal snap ring pliars with little dimples to capture the spring while spreading it???

Leave it in, mark the cable for the proper length, run the cable and swedge the thimble at the tail last.

Put the snapring over one of the fairlead pieces centering the snapring with the open part toward the other half of the fairlead . Then slide the other half in and work the snapring as you push the fairlead into place. Its easier to show than explain.... It can be done with one hand.

What Grant said does work, but if access and dexterity do not allow..

Cut a short piece of tubing that fits close over the back end of the fairlead. Cut a slot in it so it can be slid over the cable. Stretch the ring over the tube, put the tube over the cable, over the fairlead end, and slid the ring off the tube onto the fairlead.

Last edited:
Easy to glue and cut an inspection ring.

Those fairleads just outboard of the fuel tank can be a bear. I have used .041" safety wire instead of the snap ring.

Thanks guys..........I'm stubborn enuf to try anything before I cut a hole in my fabric, although it might come to that.

I misplaced a nice set of snap ring pliers that had a dimple for holding those rings. Actually had a conversation with snap on last week about a replacement. Sticker shock might make you cut a hole in your plane though.

I guess if the regular snap rings are a PIA why not use what works easier? It might be helpful to note a part number for replacement. Maybe that's why some A&P's up here have used safety wire instead.

Gary

I guess if the regular snap rings are a PIA why not use what works easier? It might be helpful to note a part number for replacement. Maybe that's why some A&P's up here have used safety wire instead.

Gary
Every mechanic has a "fits all" roll of safety wire on his work bench.

This is what the book calls for.

Web

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 13-17-05 U40081-000 UNIVAIR FAIRLEAD SNAP RING - FITS PIPER.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 13-17-05 U40081-000 UNIVAIR FAIRLEAD SNAP RING - FITS PIPER.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 49
Are you replacing fairlead due to wear?
or to thread new cable assy?
Suggested earlier was to make new cables in place.
sounds like you’re beyond that phase though.
It may sound intimidating but saves a lot of work and expense.
there was a thread that discussed the process s few years back.
I just made up a complete fuselage set last week, I’ll need to do wings as well soon and happy to rehash the process if a search dosnt turn it up.

I made my own at rebuild. Should have done it this time also......but bought Univair set. PITA !
But......I will have all the old cable ends should anyone need them.

I told you to glue grommets and cut holes. Just think about all the pheasants you missed by being stubborn. :lol:

Stewart's method glue is great for this. I have several on my Taylorcraft added post recover. Clean surface, apply glue and ring with fabric overlay. Wipe off excess along edges with wet cloth before it drys. All still attached 6 yrs later on plane parked outside +80's to -50's.

Gary

Back