• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Control sticks

wireweinie

FOUNDER
Palmer, AK
I'm trying to collect drawings and information on front and back seat control sticks. PA18 stuff for sure (already have the drawings from the Northland CD for the early straight sticks), but I'd welcome drawings for any other similar. PA11, 12, J3, etc. Looking to be able to fabricate sticks from scratch.

Thanks

Web

I have "some" PA-12 drawings; I'll look. Edit: Absent drawings I will measure from my -12.

Last edited:
I don't have the PA-12 drawing, sorry. On my plane the stub O.D. is approx 1.06 - 1.07 (not perfectly round), so probably nominally 1 1/16 for the stick to slide over. Stick length is 15 1/2, O.D is 1.14 (it's painted), and it is straight. Both sticks are the same.

I don’t have a drawing. Just a picture. Had to replace a rear control stub on my PA-12. Got a new part from Stoddards…a new PA-18 rear stub. Waaay too short. PA-12 is a couple inches longer.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have the Northland copies of the Piper drawings for the early straight sticks on the -18. But I have not been able to find drawings showing lengths and curves for any others. I'll swap a stick for a copy of any of the Piper drawings that I don't already have.

Web

Correct. The Piper drawings show an expanded section of the stick that slides over the stub. That part should be universal to all Pipers unless the stick diameter was changed at some point.

Web

If the Northland drawings are an example, the drawings of the sticks take into account the length of the stub and the position of the pivot.

Web

-18 and -12 stubs are different, measuring from centerline of torque tube to cable attach point. I don't remember details though. The rear stub on my -12 has an extension attached to the bottom for the cable attach. It "looks" factory, but I can't be sure of that. If there's interest I'll get a picture later today.

Was in hanger today looking at handle, you are correct that the extension is required for the -12 so it can attach to the control rod.
I did not measure the length of the upper control stick.
Ken

I'm trying to collect drawings and information on front and back seat control sticks. PA18 stuff for sure (already have the drawings from the Northland CD for the early straight sticks), but I'd welcome drawings for any other similar. PA11, 12, J3, etc. Looking to be able to fabricate sticks from scratch.

Thanks

Web

Are you wanting to just replicate or make small changes? I've always wished the front stick in my -12 was angled slightly forward at the base of the grip for better wrist angle.

I have the tubing bender but still need a quality expander for the lower end. Once I have the expander I can make a stick to whatever spec you want.

Web

B19294E4-4AB3-4F52-808D-305680F1ACF7.jpeg
Are you wanting to just replicate or make small changes? I've always wished the front stick in my -12 was angled slightly forward at the base of the grip for better wrist angle.

Like this? I sat in the seat and figured out what angle felt good. I don’t remember what that angle is…I did it a couple years ago. Stick grip now has the buttons installed for PTT, trim and AP disconnect.

Attachments

• B19294E4-4AB3-4F52-808D-305680F1ACF7.jpeg
    B19294E4-4AB3-4F52-808D-305680F1ACF7.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 50
I have the tubing bender but still need a quality expander for the lower end. Once I have the expander I can make a stick to whatever spec you want.

Web

I have used a urethane plug and hydraulic press to expand a tube. The result was a bit lumpy because I didn't use something to constrain the amount of expansion. The results were promising

Back