• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Does the O360 Fit inside a standard 150 HP Cowling

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
I realize there are lots of 180HP PA 18s, but was curious what mods if any are required to install the O360 into the standard 150 Cub with regards to fitting. Sutton Exhaust if possible but could go with an alternate exhaust system. Experimental build with a stock factory cowl assembly, conical mount. Thanks MT prop

Nose bowl can be the stock bowl but the cylinders on the o-360 are taller. Mount can be either type conical or dynafocal. Are you planning to shorten the mount?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Putting an o-360 on my -12. I’ll have all the old cowling up for sale come Feb. Using a new aluminum stock -18 nose bowl with new cowling.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Thanks for the input. I will check out the other related thread. I haven't purchased the motor mount yet. This an experimental conical application so i would think the motor mount is ready to go and not requiring any mods. The cheeks are an easy fabrication and otherwise using a serviceable stock super cub cowling group.

Looking at the old Jensen/Johnson 180 hp STC, (the easiest, simplest STC) they use the same nose bowl. New doors and new lower center cowl peice.

Web

Randy Rubbert just pounds out a bump on each side cowl door to clear the aft cylinder head. Not the prettiest, but it works.

MTV

Randy Rubbert just pounds out a bump on each side cowl door to clear the aft cylinder head. Not the prettiest, but it works.

MTV
Anyone ever use those sheet metal dimples similar to the Cessna 170/O-360 Doyne conversion to allow for the added width of the O-360? Probably a little cleaner look than pounding out a dimple.

Anyone ever use those sheet metal dimples similar to the Cessna 170/O-360 Doyne conversion to allow for the added width of the O-360? Probably a little cleaner look than pounding out a dimple.

Sure seems like that would work, if you can find a set.

MTV

MTV

I don’t think he dimples it. I am getting ready to install the o360 on my bird and none of the pics show a dimple to clear the cylinder.Image1668444906.452440.jpg

The cowling keeps a clean traditional cub look with a stick nose bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1668444906.452440.jpg
    Image1668444906.452440.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 100
Whose 360 STC you use will determine the cowl. Anyone know what Univair (the old Dans’s STC) uses for the nose bowl? I recall Penn Yan provides a new nose bowl with their PA-18 180hp STC. I’m pretty sure Carbon Concepts has a +1” nose bowl for 180hp installations. Mine’s +2” for the 390. With a short mount and Cub-style cowl nobody would recognize the nose bowl width.

I don’t think he dimples it. I am getting ready to install the o360 on my bird and none of the pics show a dimple to clear the cylinder.View attachment 63547

The cowling keeps a clean traditional cub look with a stick nose bowl.

I was discussing Randy’s personal 180 hp Cub, didn’t mean to imply customers cubs. Your plane almost assuredly has larger cowl doors.

Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse.

MTV

Attachments

• 20221002_143829.jpg
    20221002_143829.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220826_160428.jpg
    20220826_160428.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 64
I was discussing Randy’s personal 180 hp Cub, didn’t mean to imply customers cubs. Your plane almost assuredly has larger cowl doors.

Sorry, didn’t mean to confuse.

MTV

MTV, I didn’t think you implied anything. They sent me a whole passel of pictures and none had a dimple. I’ve never seen Randy’s plane. The pic is just one of the pics they sent me. My is still sitting in a hangar waiting for the engine.

Looking at the old Jensen/Johnson 180 hp STC, (the easiest, simplest STC) they use the same nose bowl. New doors and new lower center cowl peice.

Web

I’m familiar with the original Dave Johnson conversions created for his glider towing operation. He used the original cowl but hammered out the bulges on the side doors. Not very pretty but effective. He also had trouble with overheating and had dual coolers mounted on some. He may have cleaned up the design in later renditions.

I used the Penn Yan kit for my cub. They provided a new standard sized, closed off nose cowl intended for using a small starter and rear oil cooler. The lower cowl and carburetor air box was made by Rubbert. (Very nice quality!)

The side cowl design was left to the installer. I made new side doors; rolled to get adequate engine clearance which ends up with 3 - 3 1/2” opening at the aft end compared to the original of 2 - 2.5 “
I soon realized that this opening resulted or contributed to a very cool running engine. Cylinder temps avg 360 and oil temp rarely above 160 without covering the cooler.
To the contrary I have a 150 horse cub with the exact same configuration but with the original tighter side cowl clearance and is a “warm”running engine.

I said all of this to recommend making new side cowls avoiding the temptation to bulge out the sides. They will look much better and may result in much better cooling.

I used cowl bumps riveted onto standard sized doors. The nose bowl was 'standard' and had no holes for oil cooler or starter. Seemed to work well for me.

Web

The side cowl design was left to the installer. I made new side doors; rolled to get adequate engine clearance which ends up with 3 - 3 1/2” opening at the aft end compared to the original of 2 - 2.5 “
I soon realized that this opening resulted or contributed to a very cool running engine. Cylinder temps avg 360 and oil temp rarely above 160 without covering the cooler.
To the contrary I have a 150 horse cub with the exact same configuration but with the original tighter side cowl clearance and is a “warm”running engine.

I said all of this to recommend making new side cowls avoiding the temptation to bulge out the sides. They will look much better and may result in much better cooling.
I have no interior in my 180 hp Cub. When I place my hand against the inside of the fabric next to the door, it is very warm and I do believe it contributes to heating the cabin. For the inside of the fabric to be this warm there must be a lot of warm air coming from the 2-1/2" opening of the side cowls. My CHTs are like yours.

Plan on installing my new 0360 in the Crow in the spring is possible. I think I may be able to make it as is but it will be close for sure. I use a Pitts nose bowl which is a little large to start with and I can easily build new side cowls if needed. Because I use a J-3 boot cowl I have very large side openings and have had no engine heat issues even with a 10-1 compression ratio. I could use cowl bumps if needed but will try to do it a little more cleanly. Still on the fence about trying one of the prop balancers.

Back