• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Twitchell Airport closing

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ozbwmLNtAGuCxbZYpLSYBWaR7VU3p7eduiRxBTpSXEiqocXLwgbJ2WT6E9BK92P5l&id=100042828527519<br

A sad day, indeed. Very fond memories of Twitchell's, including one very interesting landing a long time ago in another life....

I have finished the first phase of my waterfront "marina" upgrade (hint, see SC.org new, awesome calendar) and will apply for a chart designation this winter. The least I can do to try and keep development in my part of the world in check.

We as aviators may need to reach into our own pockets collectively and buy some of these key private airports, or help fund the RAF to buy them. Encroachment and influx of more people will continue, as will the increase in complaints by those that buy cheap land near the airport.

I dug a little deeper into local code a couple weeks ago and realized that anything other than scheduled air helicopter flights are legal from my airport, and sent the local government a letter explaining as such, (been getting pestered for letting Raw TV fly off the runway). My intent is to use every right I have on my land so when idiots try to buy property around they won't have much room to complain. The realtor advertising my neighbor embraced it and included that there was a heavy equipment shop and airport next to the property for sale.

It is up to us folks. Pay up to protect our private airports if we want to keep them.

This is very sad news for the aviation community in Central Maine and will hit us hard. We really need to try to get in front of potential sales of these airfields that cater so much to the general aviation community. How can we do that? The best starting point would be to reach out to your local RAF Liaisons and do it early. They can help with getting the word out that a local airport is up for potential sale and start looking for buyers. The problem with the Twitchell's sale is they already had a non-aviation cash buyer before the RAF got involved. So even if it seems like just a rumor at the moment reach out to the RAF or any other local Aviation group in your area, getting up front of a potential sale to a non-aviation buyer could save a landmark airport and seaplane base like Twitchell's.

Larry.

One of Maine's flyingest family's for sure. I was always amazed at the knowledge Mrs Twitchell had of airplane parts, I was always scrounging parts for a Cub or old Champ and she was always the best when it came to finding them........... She knew aviation inside out, and was the cornerstone of that business for many years. This is a huge loss for aviation in Maine. Old fashioned fly em, fix em, lease em, rent em, go pick up the wrecked ones sort folks. Sorta "Alaskan Style" but here in Maine. Ronnie would be proud of what he, and his flying family accomplished in Turner, Me!

or WORSE--a solar panel farm---

Up here we lost a really great strip to a Pot Farm. Maine needed another pot farm....and certain more "pharmacies" storefronts dotting the downtown landscapes. Meanwhile, we can't seem to find anyone to fill positions at The Company. Hmmm. What's going on?

Back