• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How much to plumb 185 for amphibs?

There is no 'ballpark figure' for most first time installs. Just time and materials. No accurate way of estimating the labor hours as each aircraft is different inside.

Web

Don't even know what pump, reservoir you will be using. What floats?

Some pumps have a reservoir built right on to it so it may be a simple, one piece, install. I've seen the pump removed from the reservoir and buried inside the tunnel, next to the flap handle (Cessna). Great install as it can be left in place year round as it takes up almost no space on the cabin floor. But miserable when it comes to installing as each fitting and line needs to be customized to fit THAT aircraft. Then there are some electric pumps. Kinda cool as they can be mounted back in the cargo compartment. But that also means more plumbing and now more wiring too.

See what I mean? If you bring it to me, I CAN do most any pump install. But what system are you going to use? What will I find when I open up your kick panels and floor boards. What other equipment has been added that I now need to work around?

To many questions to answer accurately.

Web

I used to do a lot of these. It took me 80 hours to do a complete assembly and installation of new EDO amphibs on a 185. When done at EDO's local installer they allowed a flat rate 120 hours for the job. A first time installer takes more time than one who has done it before. You should figure at least 100 hours of labor at shop rates. This assumes there has not been any other modifications done to the airplane which need to be worked around.

You should budget $100k +/- for a new set installed. These floats are excellent and are built near where you live. https://aerocet.com

I used to do a lot of these. It took me 80 hours to do a complete assembly and installation of new EDO amphibs on a 185. When done at EDO's local installer they allowed a flat rate 120 hours for the job. A first time installer takes more time than one who has done it before. You should figure at least 100 hours of labor at shop rates. This assumes there has not been any other modifications done to the airplane which need to be worked around.

You should budget $100k +/- for a new set installed. These floats are excellent and are built near where you live. https://aerocet.com

I think you are low on the cost estimate for a new set.

And, as Stewart pointed out, if you think tailwheel insurance rates are high, an insurance quote on an amphibian, especially for a low time float pilot, may bring tears to your eyes…..

MTV

Locally there's a beautiful C-185 amphib (Aerocets) that sits. Belongs to a reality TV (Nat Geo) bush man that allegedly led a rugged survival life in the wilderness. They pay well apparently.

Gary

Last edited:
And, as Stewart pointed out, if you think tailwheel insurance rates are high, an insurance quote on an amphibian, especially for a low time float pilot, may bring tears to your eyes…..

MTV

Yes. I am realizing that if I wanted to not spend alot of money I should have chosen a different hobby.

I'm asking this question for the following reason:

I am looking at a 185 that is "plumbed for amphib."

While I have no immediate float plans, I think "that could be fun to do one day."

So I am trying to figure out if being "plumbed for amphibs" is a plus. if it is a plus, and assumming I would like to maybe put amphibs on it, what $ value should I assign to "plumbed for amphibs" over a similarly equipped plane not "plumbed for amphibs." What $ amount does it potentially increase the resale value?

So yea, that's what is pin balling in my head.

So I am trying to figure out if being "plumbed for amphibs" is a plus. if it is a plus, and assumming I would like to maybe put amphibs on it, what $ value should I assign to "plumbed for amphibs" over a similarly equipped plane not "plumbed for amphibs." What $ amount does it potentially increase the resale value?

So yea, that's what is pin balling in my head.
That would depend on what make and model of amphibs the plumbing is intended for. Also how much of the plumping is included? Does it include all the electric pump, wiring, hand pump etc? You would be committing yourself to whatever floats were on it before for the plumbing for it to have any value. I'd place zero $+/- value on the plumbing. Is it an old style with an engine driven pump? That should be removed when the floats are not installed to protect the pump.

How about getting an amphibian? Like a Lake or something. I have no experience in either but it might be an option.

Gary

Now a picture of things is coming together. I didn’t realize the plumbing was specific to the floats
It is similar between the different models of floats, yet it must be specific for that particular model in order to comply with the appropriate STC or TC approval.

As Gary mentions there are many other types of amphibians which would be less costly than a 185 yet each has it's own issues relative to experience levels, requirements for insurance etc. It is easier for a person to learn to fly a Lake first and then transition to floats, than it is to learn in a float plane and then transition to a Lake. Then depending on your plans in using the seaplane, sometimes a float plane is more practical than a flying boat. There are so many options, it is best that one has a perceived use prior to deciding on a particular type. I understand your excited enthusiasm, take it slow what ever will be for you will make it's appearance in it's own time.

Yep- please dont misinterpret my desire to learn quickly as a desire to act quickly. I would say the relationship is inverse. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for all the info.

Yep- please dont misinterpret my desire to learn quickly as a desire to act quickly. I would say the relationship is inverse. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for all the info.

I am not trying to be critical, but more often than not, directly asking the specific question MAY get the answer you’re looking for quicker. No offense intended.

MTV

For what its worth- turns out the plane in question is plumbed for Aerocets.

Lots of good info above. I have wip's on my 185, I love them (fast) but I live in the land of crystal clear freshwater lakes. Wip's are a very close second to Aerocets and like Aerocet, they are fully supported. Not sure I'd proactively "plumb" or make a purchase decision based on having it or not because as others stated, there are a lot of variables, quality of work, STC's, etc... My guess is that you will spend at least $100k to do floats right and not cut corners or cobble.. wait, what does a set of new floats cost these days??

The insurance rates here in MN are reasonable; one reason is you can pro-rate the insurance when you drop the float coverage for the other six months of the year when we're tailwheel/skis.. Interestingly enough, off-airport / skis don't raise my insurance.

Last edited:
I saw a set of 250 hr 185 aerocets floats for sale recently for $100k. That doesnt include the plane plumbing or parts i dont think.

Lots of good info above. I have wip's on my 185, I love them (fast) but I live in the land of crystal clear freshwater lakes. Wip's are a very close second to Aerocets and like Aerocet, they are fully supported. Not sure I'd proactively "plumb" or make a purchase decision based on having it or not because as others stated, there are a lot of variables, quality of work, STC's, etc... My guess is that you will spend at least $100k to do floats right and not cut corners or cobble.. wait, what does a set of new floats cost these days??

The insurance rates here in MN are reasonable; one reason is you can pro-rate the insurance when you drop the float coverage for the other six months of the year when we're tailwheel/skis.. Interestingly enough, off-airport / skis don't raise my insurance.

Which model Wip floats are you referring to?

MTV

Back