• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bill Rusk Flies Us Off Into the Sunset and on to New Adventures!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
rusk.jpg

We had the privilege of flying on Bill Rusk's last flight as a captain on SWA last Friday and a fun weekend in Sandpoint to boot. Bill spent 29 years flying for Southwest, and he was joined by a number of us from Denver to Spokane. The approval for the water cannons came out the day AFTER the flight, but it was a great day to fly and to celebrate Bill.

I know it almost goes without saying what an incredible resource Bill is to so many folks at SuperCub.Org. Congratulations, Bill and thank you for your years of service to us here at SuperCub.Org also!

sj

Attachments

• rusk.jpg
    rusk.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 2,057
mom.jpg

Bill's 85 year old mom was one of the many dignitaries on board for the flight!

Attachments

• mom.jpg
    mom.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,998
Congratulations Billy,
Good luck on your next adventures, and thank you for your continued Super Cub support. I appreciate your help.
John Egan

Congratulations, Bill. Enjoy your retirement. It's not as bad as you might think :wink:

Congratulations Bill! You now have your choice of any of those 'special' projects you've been thinking about.

Web

Congratulations Bill! Now that you have all this time (;-)) we need to get together this summer in Nampa. Job well done my friend.

A special day for a very special person. Best wishes for lots of future adventures in retirement! Hearty congratulations Bill. Thank you also for being an exceptional resource for all of us here on SuperCub.org.

Thank you Steve, and everyone. WOW......what an incredible, FUN, and great way to go out!! And also very humbling. That so many folks took a HUGE chunk of time (and money) out of their lives to be with me at this moment. The last flight turned into a three day party, and what a great time I had, and I hope everyone else as well.

I can't possibly thank you guys enough. You have made my life so fulfilling. I cherish and value your friendship so very much. THANK YOU!!

More pictures....

IMG_8619.jpeg

Steve and Laura in the Denver waiting to board the last flight. Denver to Spokane SWA flight 2901

IMG_8646.jpeg

Ken and Naomi. I flew F-16's with ken. He is my longest close friend. There were so many Cub folks at the party he made the comment he felt a little out of place because he did not have a cub and had not been to Alaska. It was a pretty funny moment. I did manage to give Ken a front seat ride in my Cub on floats while he was here, and Naomi a back seat ride.

IMG_8630.jpeg

My mom at 85 made it. My sister and her two boys (nephews) as well. Unfortunately my other sister was not able to come for health reasons. She was there in spirit.

IMG_9249.jpeg

My party help did a great job of making the hangar feel warm and decorating it. Mike and Susie helped as well

IMG_8622.jpeg

Our resident medical doctor, Randy and Julie, were there. We have adopted each other as brothers.

IMG_7369.jpeg

I got to choose my first officer for my last flight. I was honored that Garth was willing to keep me out of trouble on the last run. He had to work hard. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_8619.jpeg
    IMG_8619.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,732
  • IMG_8646.jpeg
    IMG_8646.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 1,698
  • IMG_8630.jpeg
    IMG_8630.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,692
  • IMG_9249.jpeg
    IMG_9249.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 1,681
  • IMG_8622.jpeg
    IMG_8622.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG_7369.jpeg
    IMG_7369.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 1,653
IMG_3450.jpeg

Gary gave a bunch of rides in his beaver and everyone had a GREAT time. He is a great tour guide. Thank you Gary!!!

IMG_3443.jpeg

Rides and smiles. Mona, June, Kimmie, and Julie. Photo by Sherri. Five beautiful ladies. Gary is a lucky man. LOL

IMG_9297.jpeg

I gave a few rides as well, not as many as I should have.

IMG_7634.jpeg

The leaves were at prime, and we were Blessed with a couple of nice days.

Attachments

• IMG_3450.jpeg
    IMG_3450.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 1,638
  • IMG_3443.jpeg
    IMG_3443.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,619
  • IMG_9297.jpeg
    IMG_9297.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,624
  • IMG_7634.jpeg
    IMG_7634.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 1,623
Last edited:
IMG_7994.jpeg

Hopping rides

IMG_7991 (1).jpeg

I think we wore SJ out. LOL

IMG_7607.jpeg

My friend Wanda got a front seat ride. I'm trying to explain how the avionics work.

IMG_7584.jpeg

One last time up the jetway.

Thank you all again. I have been very Blessed to be a part of this group, and to fly for Southwest Airlines.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_7994.jpeg
    IMG_7994.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 1,556
  • IMG_7991 (1).jpeg
    IMG_7991 (1).jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 2,631
  • IMG_7607.jpeg
    IMG_7607.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 1,551
  • IMG_7584.jpeg
    IMG_7584.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 1,536
Last edited:
Congrats Bill, Now the pressure is off, the real fun begins! 8) The next 20 years will go by faster than you think.

IMG_9269.jpeg

Proof that it was a greaser!!! LOL

IMG_3415.jpeg

Except my First Officer, he gave me a 9.9. The rating system was from Buck Wyndham. Great fun.

Attachments

• IMG_9269.jpeg
    IMG_9269.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 1,535
  • IMG_3415.jpeg
    IMG_3415.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,529
Congrats, Bill! We all know you have a lot of passions whether they be airplanes or motorcycles. Now you will have time for them all.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It was such a pleasure and honor to board Bill's last flight as Captain for SW Airlines. What an emotional flight for Bill! It was my first time flying on SW, and it was a pleasurable experience from start to finish.One of the amazing things about this trip was the terrific people who came to celebrate the occasion. We literally sat around Bill's hangar for 3 days, and we enjoyed every moment. He has some really nice friends, many of them Supercub.org people, but what we all had in common was a love for this amazing man. How awesome it was to have our 85 year old Mom on his last airline flight!Congratulations, Bro. A job well done.Randy

Congratulations, Bill! This is a well-deserved celebration and retirement.

Anne.

Attaboy Bill, I retired 22 years ago and still wonder where it all went. When I was working, I was always tired.
Now I’m re-tired……

Back