Thread: Thinking about a Moose! The Murphy one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about a Moose! The Murphy one.

Ok… kind of stupid probably but me and a buddy are thinking about a Murphy Moose.
    Does anyone around here have any experience with one? Speed, payload etc?
    We are thinking of something to supplement and support our Cubs and would prefer a radial powered moose.
    Also see post in classifieds, if someone knows of one let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend has one with a Barrett spiced-up engine and Whirl Wind custom blades on the prop. It's the best performing piston floatplane I've ever seen. He's Anchorage based. I can connect you with him if you're so inclined.
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard some say that the handling is not their strong point. I have never flown one. Just passing on what I’ve heard. I would recommend that you try to fly one before you decide to spend several years and many thousands of dollars building one. Make sure you like the way it flies. And that is true for any Homebuilt airplane. Be it a fly baby, Murphy moose, a RV-8, or any other experimental airplane. Fly it before you build it.

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Ted Waltman has experience

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes cubscout, aktango58 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about a Moose! The Murphy one.

There’s an unfinished one in a hangar in Middlebury VT. Was going to go on floats. Got dejected about lack of support and stuff. On wheels with M-14. Probably not for sale.

There is also a somewhat recent purchase of one that now resides in central NH, new owner pretty excited about it obviously.

Long term rumors I’ve heard are - 1) build manuals are crap or non-existent.
    2) had some tail issues somewhat midstream and a number of owners took it upon themselves to address, (and eventually Murphy) to ensure the tail didn’t come off.
    3) hell of a good looking airplane, with space and capacity for days
    4) there’s a Murphy Moose conversion guy that installs LS3 motors
    5) like a beaver, flys slow and burns a lot of fuel with the M-14 Radial.
    6) as Bill said, some say Murphy designs don’t handle well. Pure rumor as I’ve never flown one.

Would be neat to have one.
    Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Ted Waltman, he seems to be the go-to guy for those planes. He has built more than one.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a FedX Mad Dog pilot at lake hood with a Moose. See if she will take you up for a ride. Great looking planes.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I have flown precisely one Moose, equipped with the M-14 engine. The plane was mounted on PeeKay amphibious floats. At the time, I had quite a lot of recent PeeKay float time, so my comments are based largely on the plane. I am nowhere near qualified as a test pilot, by the way.

I was impressed with the performance of the plane in the water. Takeoff performance was impressive, though we were light. In the air the plane flew much like a 185, as best I could tell. The engine, of course, turns the “wrong way”, which takes a little getting used to.

Generally, I was impressed with the plane. The ONLY detractor I noted was in landing on wheels in a fairly strong cross wing, I felt the plane could use more rudder authority. With those castering nose wheels, maintaining directional control in a crosswind always is an exercise in braking effectiveness, however. So, while I felt more rudder in that mode may have been helpful, it seemed at least adequate during the rest of the flight.

A Beaver it’s not, not even close. And alternative to a 180/185/206…….maybe. My overall sense of the plane was that it was fairly crude, which could also be stated as being “utilitarian”, depending on your perspective. In the eye of the beholder, as they say.

But, all in all, I was pretty impressed with the plane during my short time with it.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy to discuss Murphy Moose information.

Here's a link to my Moose (and Super Rebel) experience: https://fly2ak.com/PDF/TedWaltman_CV2022.pdf

Regarding the above points:

1. Yes, build manuals are total crap, with many errors. To be reasonable though, there are over a 100 (no one knows the exact #) that somehow followed the build manual(s) to completion
    2. There are tail issues, especially if one doesn't follow "best industry practices" and fully balance all the control surfaces. And the tail hinges quickly wear out (wobble out) due to vibration. Fix exists but it not published.
    3. If you can fit whatever it the plane it will indeed carry it. Moose gross weight is 3,500 lbs. Useful load is, depending on build, around 2,100 lbs
    4. Stay away from the LS3 build guy. Just my recommendation.
    5. The M-14 actually (usually) burns less 100LL than suped up Lycomings. Having flown approx 14 Moose with both radial & Lyc, I know.
    6) The Moose flies like a Beaver. I've flown both. Easy to fly, but it is, like many tailwheel planes, a "rudder" airplane. You can't have lazy feet.

Thank you all,

Ted Waltman
    Thanks Farmboy, VNrotorhead thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    Useful load is, depending on build, around 2,100 lbs
    Really?! Murphy lists the useful as 1750-1850 for a Lyc and 1550-1650 for an M-14P. Can the factory claimed empty weight be beat?'

https://www.murphyair.com/models/
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops, I can’t do math. Empty weight is often 2,100 lbs or thereabouts.
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to muddy the waters, and perhaps it's not what you're looking for, but for a Cub Supplement, and to carry 1500 lbs, build the new Bearhawk Model 5. Keep it simply and empty weight is 1500 lbs. Gross is 3000. With the IO-540 or in particular the 580 the thing is a beast, and fast as well. Doesn't have the headroom of a Moose but has big cargo doors.

pb
    Likes 40m, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"