• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electric drill style float pump

skukum12

The Last Frontier
I hear that such a critter exists. Any information, thoughts and experiences welcome.

I remember wishing for such a think pumping norseman floats....100 pumps at 5am was a workout lol.

When I first picked up the amphib Beaver for Kodiak, it hadn't been in water for a year or so.....those floats leaked like sieves. I rigged up a small 12 V pump with a plastic hose that fit the pump outs. After a week in the water, the floats gradually sealed up, with just a few minor leaks. According to JJ Frey, the Zinc Chromate paste tapes that EDO used between laps actually absorbed some water, helping to seal the floats. After Maintenance sealed up the few remaining leaks, life was good and the pump wasn't needed.

If you really NEED a powered pump for your floats, get them out of the water and seal them up. We've been over a really easy procedure on this board a couple times. Seal them and all you'll get is a few squirts out of each compartment.

MTV

I remember wishing for such a think pumping norseman floats....100 pumps at 5am was a workout lol.

I just did a 90 pump round in a single compartment. Definitely have a project on my hands.

They leaked some but not too bad. But after usage they are getting worse quickly.

When I first picked up the amphib Beaver for Kodiak, it hadn't been in water for a year or so.....those floats leaked like sieves. I rigged up a small 12 V pump with a plastic hose that fit the pump outs. After a week in the water, the floats gradually sealed up, with just a few minor leaks. According to JJ Frey, the Zinc Chromate paste tapes that EDO used between laps actually absorbed some water, helping to seal the floats. After Maintenance sealed up the few remaining leaks, life was good and the pump wasn't needed.

If you really NEED a powered pump for your floats, get them out of the water and seal them up. We've been over a really easy procedure on this board a couple times. Seal them and all you'll get is a few squirts out of each compartment.

MTV

I am thinking the same thing. My shoulders are crazy sore after 3 straight float days.

MTV

Enough said.

Leaky floats are a problem. Somebody has to tend to the plane every day or two. That’s not practical for very long. Park someplace shallow.

Our local float changeover guys use a couple of these
4B123DDD-6748-43AB-B9D9-C0734C592A03.jpg

Attachments

• 4B123DDD-6748-43AB-B9D9-C0734C592A03.jpg
    4B123DDD-6748-43AB-B9D9-C0734C592A03.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 215
One step that might prevent future leaks is putting RV antifreeze in them before winter storage. Ice can expand and loosen float seams. Not a new idea just thought I'd mention it.

Gary

I bought a 2 “D” battery driven pump at harbor Freight, haven’t used it much but seem good. I don’t think I would have it as a last ditch pump considering the source. Think it was about $12.00

Back