• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Looking for a tachometer or repair shop for one

Ab0ngcd

Looking to buy a new or good working recording tachometer with clockwise drive for my PA-11 that uses a non-retained cable, the standard cable just about everyone uses.
I bought a replacement tach from Aircraft Spruce, a Mitchell tach, but after receiving it, I found out it requires a retained cable and will not work in my cub.
I cannot return the tach because I installed it into the cub, hoping it would work.

Buyer Beware of Mitchell mechanical tachometers. They don't mention anything about the specific cable type except in the installation pdf you have to go looking for. Another beef with Mitchell, is the gentleman that I talked to on the phone at Mitchell told me afterward that they do sell cables that match their tachs, but they don't mention that on their web site. You have to call and ask.

Anybody know of an instrument repair house that can repair a Stewart Warner recording tach made for a Cessna 140/150? The tach works fine except it stopped recording at 99.99 hours.

Thanks

I guess that's the only type I've worked with in small aircraft.

If you need the old school look of the needle and face, keep looking for a mechanical type. If you want accuracy and functionality get a digital tach and lose the cable all together.

Web

Last edited:
If you need to repair the existing mechanical tach, talk to the local car restoration guys. They'll point you to a shop that specializes in the old school instruments.

Web

I've had tach cables that would only let the core be removed from the engine end. There was a washer or something in that end over the rotating core that blocked lateral movement inside the sheath. Plus a felt oil seal. Not an A&P so anything can happen.

Gary

I have used the other popular instrument place out East, and personally I’d go to John Wolfe for anything in the future.

Zach

I had my j3 tach rebuilt at keystone instruments in lockhaven, pa a number of years ago and had a good experience. I talked to Clyde Smith, Jr. just 2 weeks ago at a restoration seminar here in Denver at Univair and he's still recommending them for instrument rebuilds.

Also, you don't need a recording tach. There are hobbs style meters that work off vibration that you can just stick in the baggage compartment and they record just as well. Call Clyde and ask for his recommendation.

https://www.cubdoctor.com/

Back