• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shake your tail feather

OLDCROWE

FRIEND
Meanwhile,...
A couple days ago I was giving the Super Cub a Pre-Flight before an early morning mental floss flight and as I did my regular routine of walk, wiggle, touch and pat I gave the tail a wiggle and while looking down I noticed movement at the tail-wheel to spring connection. Never had that before, the Ni-lock nut had loosened a bit allowing for it. So a few seconds with the appropriate pair of channel locks (just kidding) and it was back tight. I typically change the bolt every annual or so and always the nut so it hadn't been that long. Anyone else seeing such?

Last edited:
One of our Goose drivers was preflighting a Goose. There had been a big wind storm recently and the Goose was outdoors during. Pilot walked up and wiggled that BIG rudder, and it fell off.

Didnt fly that day.

MTV

I’ve wondered if it’s more bolt stretch than nut loosening?

I have one that I take care of and its always loose. It's a real heavy airplane. going to suggest a two bolt tailwheel for him next annual.

My tail wheel was loose because the spacer had wore, welded the spacer up, ground down to fit snug and no more loose tail wheel.

They’re almost always loose at annual. I’ve thought it has something to do with the bolt going through two leaves that slide in relation to each other, somehow loosening or wearing over time. Agree with Steve- lose the castle nut if you have one, put a nylon locknut on there, and keep an eye on it. Fwd bolt loosens sometimes too, but not as common.

They’re almost always loose at annual. I’ve thought it has something to do with the bolt going through two leaves that slide in relation to each other, somehow loosening or wearing over time. Agree with Steve- lose the castle nut if you have one, put a nylon locknut on there, and keep an eye on it. Fwd bolt loosens sometimes too, but not as common.

I participate in owner assisted annuals with my A&P so I see what's loose and such first hand, never had this and its a nylock.

Thanks all and I will check the bushing.

Back