Thread: ADSB removal

Post Thanks / Like

ADSB removal

I have heard once installed it can never be removed. Now I hear that it can be removed at change of ownership. What is the real story?
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    I FSDO called and asked the question this spring because I also was under the impression once installed it can never be removed. Took a bit to get back to me but the answer is YES it can be removed at any time. No need for ownership change.
    DENNY
    Thanks skukum12, Colorado-Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent, thanks Danny!

Any need to report the removal or yank it, toss it and make a logbook entry?
    "Always looking up"
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just log entry for the removal.

I still wonder where the 'can't remove' stories come from. The only thing I've ever found in the regs is that it has to be operating if installed. Nothing saying that it's a permanent installation.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes skukum12, hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Just log entry for the removal.

I still wonder where the 'can't remove' stories come from. The only thing I've ever found in the regs is that it has to be operating if installed. Nothing saying that it's a permanent installation.

Web
    Just scared Karen pilots reading more into the rules than exists. Those types of pilots have been with us since the invention of tricycle landing gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's a natural assumption based on distrust of the man combined with no desire to actually read up on the subject.

Since I am represented by both, I ask the question here.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the ADS-B stories are allowed to run amok by the feds. I think they feel it keeps people on their toes.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes skukum12, Colorado-Cub, algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For most any equipment, if it was installed with a 337, it should be removed with a 337. No real rule that says so, but to keep the configuration straight a 337 for installation and another for removal makes sense. Especially if the installation was an STC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep what dgapilot says. Recommendation for removal paperwork was to follow what ever was used to put it in, Logbook entry only or 337. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Must be on if installed. Sounds like someone took that a little further in their head. My Trig TT22 transponder box can be removed with a logbook entry without disturbing the head and the static line and then again reinstalled with another logbook entry without having to do a pitot/static test. I know someone her who installed a uAvionix skyBeacon and takes it on and off via logbook entry. F%*# Big Brother.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks BradleyG thanked for this post
    Likes bcone1381, Colorado-Cub, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

ADSB removal

Yup, my plan is log book entry to pull the Transponder out of the tray when not flying in rule airspace, and log entry to put it back for flights that will be IFR or go in rule airspace. The transponder is required for the ADSB to work, so if not installed you don’t have to have the ADSB on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes soyAnarchisto, bcone1381, phdigger123 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I know someone her who installed a uAvionix skyBeacon and takes it on and off via logbook entry.
    My uAvionics skyBeacon TSO was installed with a 337 as instructed by uAvionix. I did the installation and prepared the 337. Log entry and 337 submital by the IA who does my inspections. No plans to remove it though as aircraft is based in "rules airspace".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Must be on if installed. Sounds like someone took that a little further in their head. My Trig TT22 transponder box can be removed with a logbook entry without disturbing the head and the static line and then again reinstalled with another logbook entry without having to do a pitot/static test. I know someone her who installed a uAvionix skyBeacon and takes it on and off via logbook entry. F%*# Big Brother.
    I adore my TR22 as well, especially since the unit can be operated with or without the external GPS unit via RS232. Remove the GPS input, the Trig is a standard Mode S. Add the GPS, ADSB-out compliant. Since the GPS unit is an auxiliary input device at that point, might it be argued a logbook entry is not even required?

Rhetorical question really: most of us have opt'd out of the FAAs ADSB game a while ago since they started using ADSB data for enforcement purposes, but the Trig modular design (and weight) sure is nice.
    Thanks gdafoe thanked for this post