• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Windshield Installation

rv6ator

Sherman, CT
Should the engine be installed prior to fitting the windshield? Reason being is there any appreciable fuselage bending that would effect the fitment.
Thanks

There are probably as many ways to do it as guys that do it. Firewall forward was the biggest part of my build. I didn't even start preliminary fitting until the cowl and panel were complete and painted. Mike has some short spar sections with nose ribs to put on for fitting. Actual install of windows, skylight, and windshield was one of the last tasks we did before rolling it out and bolting the wings on. And I mean like a day or two before. Everything was painted and fitted to size and once the holes were burned, the screws and stand-offs went in once. No put it together, take it apart with the plexi items.

Windshields expand and contract far more than any steel parts involved. The windshield just slips into a trough, then once aligned, there are maybe five bolts or screws at the top, and maybe five each on the pillar posts. Make the holes plenty big for expansion and contraction - I make mine twice the size of the bolt/screw.

If you build a 3 part boot cowl without the engine on the bottom screw holes won't line up once you hang the engine. I would hang engine and wings then fit the windshield but that is just me.
DENNY

FWIW. The plane was assembled and disassembled so many times by that point I lost count. Final reassembly sure did feel good. Mine was built in a shop. We did have space to hang wings early-on for fitting controls but the windshield went in with no wings on. Mike’s butt rib and spar stubs fixture made it possible. Remember you can’t finish the windshield until the skylight is in place. Measure twice cut once really applies on windshield day.

If you’re using a glass panel you really need to think about future access for behind the panel. I can’t say enough good things about how my boot cowl is put together. I’ve needed access to the components and connectors of my G3X several times.

Attachments

• 04F9C1C4-CFB5-4AD5-BC45-5E3C152841BD.jpg
    04F9C1C4-CFB5-4AD5-BC45-5E3C152841BD.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
The fuselage does move when the engine is installed. Not sure it would effect the windshield a lot the way the lip of the boot cowl overlaps and the oversized holes on everything but it does move.

Back