• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best stopping Brake Calipers for Super Cub

topwater1956

seven points,tx
What is the best stopping, salvage yard Brake Calipers that i could put on a Exp. Super Cub with 31" tires, 6" wheels, 11/2" axels
part #'s please. Thanks in advance.

Cleveland 199-62A’s

Buy new, trust me. Had a customer get several used sets that were just plain junk trying to save money and wound up spending more than if he would have went with new from the start.

https://www.airframesalaska.com/Alaskan-Bushwheel-199-62A-Wheel-and-Brake-Assembly-p/abi-199-62a.htm

Grove also makes a nice set of wheels and brakes that have been field approved on several airplanes that I know of. And it would not surprise me if Matco would have something that would work.

Brian.

Last edited:
30-60A is the typical Cub double puck brake (I think). The kit would be 199-71 with the lighter duty 6-bolt wheels most Cubs use. 199-62A is for 185s. I have the 199-62 3-bolt wheel kit on my 180. If you want a Cessna kit that’s more than any Cub needs.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed a difference in double puck calipers on the typical ones used on Cubs 1 1/4" axle or 1 1/2". I did see a difference with Grove brake pads and APS Black Steel brake discs. Far superior in my experience.

I don't think there is a wrong answer for salvage calipers. They just have to fit the gear plate,align and clear the tire. mounting bolts differ from a stock cub gear from say what used. I used the now discontinued McCauley single puck brake calipers,disk and wheels from a RG182. Using boosters, I can lock'm up just you can with any boosted caliper. The wheels and brakes were free from a shop. I did have to drill out the torque plate to accommodate the larger bolts from a super cub gear. The metal is super hard. 1900 hours later they are starting to get tired and I'm ready for an upgrade. But overall they were a great choice for a builder on a budget.

if you buy clevelands go to mcfarlanes or cleveland website and figure out the part numbers for both the wheel halves and the torque plates and the brake cylinders and discs, then watch ebay. i put a 2nd set of wheels together for my bushwheels, this has been awhile ago, for little over 400 bucks.there on to it way more now but theres still deals out there, only thing is it took some time. but still worked out if not in a rush. lot of other types on there also.

I was correct, the standard Cub calipers are 30-60A. At least that’s what the spares on my shelf say on them. Lots of guys have put Cubs on their backs with these brakes. The primary difference between these and Cessna brakes are the thickness of the ears for the pin to engage the torque plates. Here’s a thread with more caliper info that may be useful.

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?58148-Failure-Brake-setup-problem

Attachments

• 1EC7F789-66EE-4310-AFC7-2727BA556B71.jpg
    1EC7F789-66EE-4310-AFC7-2727BA556B71.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 56
....I did see a difference with Grove brake pads and APS Black Steel brake discs. Far superior in my experience.

I've got fairly new Rapco rotors on my C180, and have been using Rapco brake pads--
but I'm always up for trying something different if it's better.
Do you attribute the better braking action to the pads, the rotors, or the combination?

The Grove kit is STCd for 6" through 26" tires, and as I understand it is considerably less expensive than Cleveland. We have it on one J3 (originally 26", but now 8:00x6). Very happy.

Used calipers - be careful to get them with good fitting pins. Chatter is unpleasant, and may lead to failures.

The Grove or Cleveland pads are far superior to the Rapco in my opinion. Rapco's barely pass the brake test.

I have a set of 6" McCauley wheels with double puck brakes, including the 1-1/2" axles as removed from a 1978 206 with ferry time only. As I recall it had 6 hours on the tach when I put it on floats. There is a little surface rust on the discs. If you're interested.

I also have the nose wheel from the same airplane.

I have a set of 6" McCauley wheels with double puck brakes, including the 1-1/2" axles as removed from a 1978 206 with ferry time only. As I recall it had 6 hours on the tach when I put it on floats. There is a little surface rust on the discs. If you're interested.

Is it a 6" nose wheel? If so I might be interested in the nosewheel.

I might hollar at you later about them, but i bought some new disc and semi metalic pads and going to see how they work.

Anyone ever used the triple puck calipers made by Matco? I have a complete set I purchased but never installed on an experimental. I was expecting to need better breaks when I increased tire size, but actually found that the current calipers perform great.

Anyone ever used the triple puck calipers made by Matco? I have a complete set I purchased but never installed on an experimental. I was expecting to need better breaks when I increased tire size, but actually found that the current calipers perform great.

I bought some of those from Matco and got a email that everything was in stock and once assembled and tested it would be 7-15 days before they would ship out. On the 17th day i called and cancelled.

Back