Thread: PC-680 Battery Mount

Post Thanks / Like

PC-680 Battery Mount

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220827_165407.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	62841

Van's PC-680 Battery box mounted on aft firewall, Javron widebody.
    Likes eskimo77, Scott A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What exhaust are you running. Looks like it would be a bitch to get out and hot with a stock muffler. DENNY
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not following why it will be hard/hot up above his feet inside the cockpit?
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    What exhaust are you running. Looks like it would be a bitch to get out and hot with a stock muffler. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the lower bolt/screw heads holding the case are on the engine side. If you have a stock muffler or Hot Rod not much room at that point and firewall gets hot. Cable lugs are right next to firewall, would be easier to work with if lugs are closer to pilot. I have done some welding working with tight space batteries is the past so it just catches my eye.
    DENNY
    Likes Scott A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Denny, I see what you mean now.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you swapped the nut plates to the firewall and had a 3 part boot cowl it would not be that bad for a battery change. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully the front opens for easy battery removal and space has been made to install an insulation blanket under the battery and box. I'd turn the terminals to the cockpit side, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    ..........and depending on the panel install, or defrost, etc. access may be an issue.
    "Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery has enough clearance to slide out, I plan on using the AN4 bolt on the lower r/h side for battery ground and engine ground on firewall side.
    Also a pic of my Andair fuel valve relocation to lower l/h kick panel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220914_152146.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	62846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220914_152858.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	62847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220914_151500-1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	62848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220914_151326.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	62849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220914_153642.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	62850
    Likes stewartb, Scott A liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious about a couple of things. Why did you put the box on the firewall instead of the tubing? The firewall is not structural and the tubing is structure. Maybe safer to drop the battery down into the box instead of sliding it in from the side? Think about the battery retainer becoming loose.

And the fuel flow transducer is placed between the gascolator and the carb/fuel control as per the installation instructions. This gives it a bit more protection from contamination.

Go ahead. I'm wearing my cup.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Battery box attached to 3 welded standoffs, it's going nowhere. Hopefully fuel tank strainer will block any large debris. Transducer has quite a large opening and is actually an optical sensor.I can always move it FWF, but we'llsee how it works.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220826_173033.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	62851

Post Thanks / Like
    Optical sensor? What fuel flow system are you using?

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Optical sensor? What fuel flow system are you using?

Web

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXJM...nel=JaredYates ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Andair install. Very tidy. And I can’t imagine your cube will work any differently there than forward. Thanks for the battery install pics. Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Electronics International FT-90 "Gold Cube".

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the install instructions that transducer still has a rotor inside it. That's what will catch any trash coming down the lines. Something to think about.

Web
    Likes supercrow, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine will you use? Do expect acceleration to be so great as to test a firewall mounted battery? Deceleration high enough to challenge any firewall mount is going to ruin your day anyway. A guy has to decide when enough is enough. Totally acceptable once out of the clutches of the FAA’s silly book of rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rv6ator View Post

Views:	66 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	62850
    Perhaps I didn't understand this picture. It appears to show the flow sensor in the fuel line between the valve and the gascolator and with the sensor outlet lower than the inlet. If that is a proper interpretation then it does not seem conform with the installation instructions which say:

"The Gold Cube FT-90 should NOT be installed with the wires pointing DOWN (the best situation is with wires pointing UP). Also, the fuel line on the outlet port should not drop down after exiting the transducer. Both of these configurations can trap bubbles in the transducer causing jumpy readings. The inlet port, outlet port and flow direction are marked on the top of the Gold Cube FT-90."

I have a "red cube" in my aircraft so I have taken an interest in their reliability and consistency of calibration at different flow rates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Level would imply level flight. Having the outlet slightly high eliminates bubble potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Views:	28 
Size:	357.7 KB 
ID:	62872
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Perhaps I didn't understand this picture. It appears to show the flow sensor in the fuel line between the valve and the gascolator and with the sensor outlet lower than the inlet. If that is a proper interpretation then it does not seem conform with the installation instructions which say:

"The Gold Cube FT-90 should NOT be installed with the wires pointing DOWN (the best situation is with wires pointing UP). Also, the fuel line on the outlet port should not drop down after exiting the transducer. Both of these configurations can trap bubbles in the transducer causing jumpy readings. The inlet port, outlet port and flow direction are marked on the top of the Gold Cube FT-90."

I have a "red cube" in my aircraft so I have taken an interest in their reliability and consistency of calibration at different flow rates.
    Actually the wires ARE exiting from the top of the cube, the excess wire is tucked down through one of the mounting holes temporarilly to keep it out of the way. Once again, if this location proves inadequate then I may relocate to FWF. Aft of firewall installation leaves one less source of FWF leaks and having to fire protect the cube. Any installation cannot guarantee the outlet will remain above or below the transducer during any given aircraft attitude. I have seen these cubes mounted vertically with no loss of accuracy. Phase 1 flight testing will determine the airworthiness/accuracy of the installation.
    Last edited by rv6ator; 09-15-2022 at 07:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wires must point up AND the outlet port should not drop down.

All brands of fuel flowsystems that I've worked with say that this is to keep air bubbles out of the transducer.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Not just the outlet port. Fuel lines from Cube to carb or servo should all run uphill from the outlet. Easier done when closer to the carb or servo but not impossible from the location shown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounting the battery on firewall moves the CG forward so why do it? Piper put it aft which helps, especially on floats where you can get CG too far forward when light. I guess everyone’s mission is different.
    Have owned same cub for 38 years!!!
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running a light weight Catto so hopefully that will offset the battery move. I like not having to run a ba/ery cable to the back seat. Forrward C.G is easy to adjust with survival gear in the aft baggage, aft C.G you're kind of stuck with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not an EarthX? I'm a little surprised to see an Odyssey in a new exp build.

I'm pleased to see EarthX came up with a front-loading box. It fits the PC-680, too. https://earthxbatteries.com/product/...m-battery-box/
    Last edited by stewartb; 09-16-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The PC680 is a run out spare for fitting purposes. Probably will gok with an EarthX when the time comes.
    However I have had good luck with the PC680 in the RV7, lasted 5 years and was still working fine, figured I would replace it just the same and they are only $125.
    Likes Coondog liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So there you go. Weight's a non-issue. I still can't get over how light my EarthXs are when I go to pick one up. But alas, I just replaced my 180's battery with another Odyssey. It's hard to go wrong with either one.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    ....I'm pleased to see EarthX came up with a front-loading box. It fits the PC-680, too.
    https://earthxbatteries.com/product/...m-battery-box/
    Nice- clean, trim, and inexpensive too.
    Smart of EarthX to make a battery that will physically replace a PC680.
    I thought the box would fit an SBS-J16 also, as I thought they were the same size as the PC680.
    but from the Odyssey website I see they're enough different that it wouldn't work.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Smart of EarthX to make a battery that will physically replace a PC680.
    Ex battery is 79mm wide; PC680 is 76mm wide. Will not replace the 680.. too wide. The only direct pc680 sized lithium replacement comes from Aerolithium.
    And they also have a front loader box for a lot less than $89 !
    Sounds like your drinking too much earthx koolaid...