• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trick Air Bottom Replacement

stewartb

Has anyone replaced the UHMW bottoms on their Trick Airs? Any hints? My plan is to replace the bottoms of my 2250s and make them wider and maybe an inch longer up front. These skis have a slight dish shape to I’ll have to get creative to make a form. I don’t know if 2500/3000s have the same shape or not. With the cost of UHMW sheet these days I don’t want any do-overs. If I buy local a 4x8x1/4” sheet is north of $750!

Stewart
Try calling Steve Schwister who is the guy that makes them. He is super nice and helpful and should give you some solid guidance on what you want to do..
[FONT=&quot]TrickAir Mailing Address:
Silveraire, LLC
18099 Elmcrest Avenue North
Forest Lake, MN 55025[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Telephone: (612) 930-7647
Email: info@trickair.com[/FONT]

I've talked to Steve a couple of times and agree, he's good at customer service. I will call to pick his brain, mostly about adding width to the already extended UHMW that the standard 2250s use. After talking to a friend about his experience with modifying Cub skis he says wider and shorter is his favorite so adding a few inches in width to your old skis may be worth doing for my heavier Cub.

1 inch wider all the way arround including out front worked well on my 3000s on the Maule.

Here’s an idea I’ll welcome comments on. My skis already have approx 2” of UHMW extended from the hard bottoms. I’m thinking of chamfering the edges and stacking a UHMW extension on top of what’s there to increase the width. I can attach with rivets or countersunk screws. Much less daunting than replacing the whole bottom and probably as effective. And with the natural 1/4” lift it’ll only contact snow in soft conditions. Thoughts? What’s the widest unsupported UHMW bottom extension you’ve seen?

Attachments

• C2800EBF-F5E4-4F94-B741-61CA17B850F9.jpg
    C2800EBF-F5E4-4F94-B741-61CA17B850F9.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
  • CD28C115-121D-458D-B558-C1492F06F1AE.jpg
    CD28C115-121D-458D-B558-C1492F06F1AE.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 80
Stewart
i like your idea. It’s a simple approach and is removable for future changes if needed.

The other thought is that those skis not having any sort of runners on the bottoms let them very easily be put into a skid in a tight turn. Having the turned up edge should help prevent the ski edge from trying to tuck under.

Thanks for the response. I already ordered the parts for the extensions and to fab bolt-on fittings. I plan to stagger the attach screws to broaden the attachment and spread the load. I think it’ll do what I want.

By the way, how are you liking your LH skis? My nephew has a Rev 2 very similar to mine and just bough LH-3000s. I’m looking forward to comparing ski performance.

Keep us posted on how this goes. My TrickAirs would benefit from some extra surface area from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Has anyone replaced the UHMW bottoms on their Trick Airs? Any hints? My plan is to replace the bottoms of my 2250s and make them wider and maybe an inch longer up front. These skis have a slight dish shape to I’ll have to get creative to make a form. I don’t know if 2500/3000s have the same shape or not. With the cost of UHMW sheet these days I don’t want any do-overs. If I buy local a 4x8x1/4” sheet is north of $750!

I'm in the process of ordering UHMW for my skis. McMaster has it for $324.70 a sheet. 4x8x1/4". A half sheet will do me for my Federal's $175.34. Shipping on the 1/2 sheet and all the hardware I need is $130.

https://www.mcmaster.com/uhmw-polye...ckness~1-4/width~48/length~8-ft-/color~white/

By the way, how are you liking your LH skis? My nephew has a Rev 2 very similar to mine and just bough LH-3000s. I’m looking forward to comparing ski performance.

I didn’t get to try them in any deep snow last season, but everything worked as advertised. There a bit heavy and have tons of aerodynamic drag being slower then with 35s.

I think there will be ample opportunities this year for the deeper stuff.
Skis are on and ready but I have a little digging to do first.

Im told we’ve gotten about 46 inches at hood this month.

Attachments

• A12BA3EC-AB02-4DE8-930C-CC59BAF9EADD.jpg
    A12BA3EC-AB02-4DE8-930C-CC59BAF9EADD.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 68940DA5-8BEC-4C47-88BB-8169FCC7533E.jpg
    68940DA5-8BEC-4C47-88BB-8169FCC7533E.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 60
UHMW or Teflon tape?

I have a set of FluiDyne A2000A skis with a compound contoured bottom. They have a thin (.013") slippery black tape applied to them that is peeling. Wondering if anyone recognizes this tape or knows a source for it. Have been considering thermo-forming a plastic bottom, but the tape is a lot easier!

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 70
How did the extended bottoms on the trick air skis work for you? Any update

I am looking for a pair if anyone has a Set of Trick air skis for sale.

Rotator cuff surgery preempted my winter activities so I haven’t worked on the skis. I’m not sure I’ll bother so my 2250s may be for sale. I’m open to discussing it if these skis fit your needs.

I put Wetlander 3 part coating on my FliLite 3000s. It's the bomb, super slick as last part is nearly all silicone. Saved 8lbs by taking UHMB off. Tough as nails, can't scratch it. A lot of airtaxis in TKA going to it. Very pleased with performance and simplicity. Did my aluminum skiff too. No leaks and 4mph faster.

Scooter. I have heard great things about that stuff.

Stewart. I was looking forward to your report on the “extensions”

I have had 3” unsupported edges on Airglas L 3000 straight skis on a 185 and the worked great. it was .250” white UHMW.

was at Image Plastics today and they had a bunch of 3/16” UHMW. He said I can get a great deal on a sheet this time of year. FYI for Anchorage guys.

I bought everything I need for the TK-1 fittings and UHMW extensions from Wick’s. I still might get to it next fall. It’d be a fun project. A friend encouraged me, saying he likes shorter skis with wide extensions on Cubs. It would (will) be a fun project. This winter has been a bust, sort of. Our new house in TX is almost finished, and I’m excited about that.

I have a pair of Trick Air 3000 that I have had on 3 different cubs. I sold my cub last fall and the skis are available if your interested.

Back