• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rock Damage- horizontal stabilizer

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
Put my first ding on my pristine cub. Woops.

Must have thrown up a rock on landing or maybe taxi/takeoff. Mike on my field thought landing as it was in line w the mains.

Whatever hit it must have been moving pretty good to ding that metal. Any potential for structural issues here? I gave it a good tug up/down and felt solid.

Just want to make sure its not a safety thing, or something that needs addressed immediatley. Anything i need to do?

a948564752434b7d8130939e653f0133.jpg

How far out from the fuselage side? That's a pretty good hit. A lot of leverage going on there too if it's very far out. The dent itself wouldn't bother me if it didn't actually make a break in the tubing, but look things over carefully. I can see a little distortion top and bottom from the impact. That is an interesting one.

Check the condition of the front bolts (both sides) which hold the stabilizer to the cross tube. The loads from the impact would concentrate there. The dent appears to be mostly cosmetic in that location.

ps. I'm surprised Mr. FAA hasn't said something about the N number being hidden behind the stabilizer.

ps. I'm surprised Mr. FAA hasn't said something about the N number being hidden behind the stabilizer.

That is precisely where mine is..........and legal. Only hidden if you look up at any angle..........otherwise very readable within 50' or so :lol:

Mine had a dent bigger than that when I got it. I sandblasted the tail feathers when I recovered it looked fine. Still there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is precisely where mine is..........and legal. Only hidden if you look up at any angle..........otherwise very readable within 50' or so :lol:

Hypothetically if you flew by someone taking your picture and you lifted your wing it also lifts the tail too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the advantages of treadles (smooth) tires is that they don’t pick up AS MUCH junk and throw it at the tail.

But, sometimes the most benign looking places can result in this stuff. I was taking off from Allakaket in a 185 and actually SAW the rock come off the back of the tire, go forward and come back through the prop, with a loud “ding”.

Shut down, and huge ding in one blade. Called maintenance and they said wait right there. Prop blade turned out to be junk. It was a frosty morning, and those tires picked up lots of rocks.

MTV

If it's a certificated aircraft, allowable dents in tubes would need to be published by Piper. If Piper provides no guidance, AC43.13 has tube inspectiin and repair data.

Reasonably certain what you have is not within limits for acceptable damage to primary structure.
S

From AC 43.13-1B CHG 1. Just a reader here not an A&P,

4-94. WELDED-PATCH REPAIR. Dents or holes in tubing may be repaired by using a patch of the same material, one gauge thicker. (See figure 4-36.)
a. Dented Tubing.
(1) Dents are not deeper than 1/10 of tube diameter, do not involve more than 1/4 of the tube circumference, and are not longer than tube diameter.
(2) Dents are free from cracks, abrasions, and sharp corners.
(3) The dented tubing can be substantially reformed, without cracking, before application of the patch.
b. Punctured Tubing. Holes are not longer than tube diameter and involve not more than 1/4 of tube circumference.

Gary

Bushwheels will throw rocks.
Sucks when you have a brand newly rebuilt 180 and land on a gravel bar for the first time 4E5F26C8-342F-4E34-BD1F-A75DC65FBD9C.jpg

Attachments

• 4E5F26C8-342F-4E34-BD1F-A75DC65FBD9C.jpg
    4E5F26C8-342F-4E34-BD1F-A75DC65FBD9C.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 82
Here's a boot installation instruction: https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=34171

I recall them on Cessna's having a raised center to help absorb impact. What takes a hit are the exposed elevator counterweights outboard of the stabilizers. They get shotgunned. I never had a LE dent on a C-185 thanks to the boots but did manage to crease the lower stab surface a few times. The bigger the rock the bigger the damage.

Gary

From AC 43.13-1B CHG 1. Just a reader here not an A&P,

4-94. WELDED-PATCH REPAIR. Dents or holes in tubing may be repaired by using a patch of the same material, one gauge thicker. (See figure 4-36.)
a. Dented Tubing.
(1) Dents are not deeper than 1/10 of tube diameter, do not involve more than 1/4 of the tube circumference, and are not longer than tube diameter.
(2) Dents are free from cracks, abrasions, and sharp corners.
(3) The dented tubing can be substantially reformed, without cracking, before application of the patch.
b. Punctured Tubing. Holes are not longer than tube diameter and involve not more than 1/4 of tube circumference.

Gary

Correct criteria for repairs but I think the OP is looking to asses whether he can continue to fly safely or ground it for repairs.

Web

Here's a boot installation instruction: https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/contacts/pubs/ourpdf.pdf?as_id=34171

I recall them on Cessna's having a raised center to help absorb impact. What takes a hit are the exposed elevator counterweights outboard of the stabilizers. They get shotgunned. I never had a LE dent on a C-185 thanks to the boots but did manage to crease the lower stab surface a few times. The bigger the rock the bigger the damage.

Gary
1/4"-5/16" at the center, tapering back to almost nothing at the trailing edge, top and bottom. The 185s also have a sheet metal leading edge doubler as part of the increased gross weight for extra strength.

All later model Skywagons have a LE doubler. Most I lnow have the thick nosed abrasion boot, too. My LE dents tend to be below the equator of the LE. Maybe a design feature or maybe because I keep the tail up as much as possible.

With the milled tubes that insert in the front and back tubes of Cub stabiliazers I can’t imagine the bolts at either place take much stress from rock hits. With through tubes fore and aft the overall stab is hell for stout on the lateral plane. Not dent-proof but that’s a different thing. Cardiff needs to get in the habit of inspecting tail brace wires and tabs to make sure those aren’t getting rock damage. The rock that dented his tube could have easily damaged a brace wire or end.

Tanalian Air’s website says their removable leading edges are designed to hold up better to rocks thrown when landing. If that’s the case, tire shape has more to do with it than anything. The round profile of a Bushwheel throws fewer rocks than an Air Hawk. I’m certain of that. Exactly when the rocks are thrown is less certain. In my ownership my Skywagons’ tail tips have seen more damage than leading edges.

Id take Kookies hail dent over this one any day….

B47C48D3-BC91-43F6-AA4D-33442F77794A.jpg

35s picked up this big flat rock and it got the leading edge, tail brace wire and bent the internal structure before exiting out the top. I could see the rock kick up from a 1/4 mile away.

Attachments

• B47C48D3-BC91-43F6-AA4D-33442F77794A.jpg
    B47C48D3-BC91-43F6-AA4D-33442F77794A.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 82
That dent will compromise the strength and integrity of the tube. In my opinion that is NOT airworthy. Pull it and replace.

Id take Kookies hail dent over this one any day….

View attachment 62577

35s picked up this big flat rock and it got the leading edge, tail brace wire and bent the internal structure before exiting out the top. I could see the rock kick up from a 1/4 mile away.

I had similar on this mountain LZ, clear thru, taped it up with pipe wrap tape, used by well drillers for securing cabling to the drop pipe, great stuff and doesn't leave the gunk behind that duct tape does, even if left on long term. I also put a bend in the lower brace strut/wire, mid span, gently straightened with no end fitting stress, so I thought....but a few hundred hours later that fitting failed.

That was a few years ago, this year I rode my new electric Sur Ron motorcycle up to the exact same spot, and right after I took this picture dropped my phone and busted the screen on a rock. Later I thought..., it was probably the same darn rock!

Attachments

• SCOUT 031.jpg
    SCOUT 031.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20220627_160003140.jpg
    IMG_20220627_160003140.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 89
I had similar on this mountain LZ, clear thru, taped it up with pipe wrap tape, used by well drillers for securing cabling to the drop pipe, great stuff and doesn't leave the gunk behind that duct tape does, even if left on long term. I also put a bend in the lower brace strut/wire, mid span, gently straightened with no end fitting stress, so I thought....but a few hundred hours later that fitting failed.

That was a few years ago, this year I rode my new electric Sur Ron motorcycle up to the exact same spot, and right after I took this picture dropped my phone and busted the screen on a rock. Later I thought..., it was probably the same darn rock!

Hijacking my own thread- but that Never heard of the Sur Ron so looked it up.

That thing looks fun!

Back