Thread: Lost hunter near Deadhorse.

Post Thanks / Like

Lost hunter near Deadhorse.

I am not hearing much about the lost hunter near Deadhorse, seems like there is not a lot of effort from local authorities to organize a search for him. Apparently, he left his companion to go get food and was never seen again. The State is not involved in the search which seems odd. He has been missing for several days and some family members have flown up from the lower 48 to try and get a search underway!

Post Thanks / Like
    News: https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...issing-hunter/

Area in question: https://www.google.com/maps/@69.6298.../data=!3m1!1e3

If he stepped or got chased by a bear into the Sag River he may have drifted north. Or, maybe bear caught and buried him like they do. Hope he's found safe soon.

Gary
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mention of going to get caribou meat cached. That make me think bear. https://www.newschannel5.com/news/to...nter-in-alaska

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
    Likes stid2677 liked this post

Fairvew East (Crane Road Airstrip),Wasilla, AK
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to go fly and help search, but Deadhorse is out of my league. If anyone here has the capability for such assistance to our Alaska guests from Tennessee, I will throw some green rectangles your way. SA
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was getting fuel in Deadhorse earlier in the week, there were three helicopters and at least one CAP plane looking for him. The story I heard was he went back for some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way to camp. The guy missing went back for the meat without a gun and adequate clothing…then the fog moved in like it does up there…That is not a good scenario for survival.
    Thanks tedwaltman1, Charlie Longley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    When I was getting fuel in Deadhorse earlier in the week, there were three helicopters and at least one CAP plane looking for him. The story I heard was he went back for some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way to camp. The guy missing went back for the meat without a gun and adequate clothing…then the fog moved in like it does up there…That is not a good scenario for survival.
    Ouch! Not good for sure.

MTV
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That country is mostly wide open spaces with not much for brush to hide things. A couple of adjacent rivers to the main Sagavanirktok River that parallels the Dalton Highway with small tundra ponds/shallow lakes interspersed. https://www.google.com/maps/@69.6298.../data=!3m1!1e3

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    Sucks for the family but might be a Darwin moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    That link says a pa-12 crashed and pilot was dead

nevermind I think the news video changed before I clicked to play it

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, have a little respect. Until you know, you don’t know.
    Likes OLDCROWE, Tennessee liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were my choice I'd get some scent dogs up there and go looking. But, water can hide lots of things until it doesn't.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    If it were my choice I'd get some scent dogs up there and go looking. But, water can hide lots of things until it doesn't.

Gary
    Does this area have sink holes? A couple of times I’ve stepped into holes in the tundra that appear to be like all of the rest of the tundra but act like quick sand. The last time my son was a couple hundred yards away when I yelled and he didn’t hear me. I threw my rifle out in front of me onto hard ground and pulled myself out after sinking to my waist. If I’d had a load of meat on my back it would have been difficult and I picture myself just disappearing from sight and the green scum closing back over the hole.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've not seen sinkholes there but they might exist. Also never heard of anyone finding them. I worked there some the last century but mainly near lakes and rivers not involving much walking across the rough tundra. There are areas of newly melting permafrost.

This is a tragic event, and soon enough that area of Alaska will refreeze sealing up any lost, buried, or submerged objects. Current temps 9/9/22 are in the mid-30's.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the sinkholes. I broke through on a caribou hunt in the Mulchatna area once. Looked like good ground, glad I wasn't loaded down either.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I haven’t heard of the any news on the hunter who is missing up near Deadhorse.
    I picked up a lost hunter in the Jack Rabbit hills out Iliamna back several years ago, he had gone four or five days with no coat, food or weapon. He was wet and cold and weak when I found him and I doubt he would have survived much longer . He survived on blueberries.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org