• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lost hunter near Deadhorse.

Airguide

I am not hearing much about the lost hunter near Deadhorse, seems like there is not a lot of effort from local authorities to organize a search for him. Apparently, he left his companion to go get food and was never seen again. The State is not involved in the search which seems odd. He has been missing for several days and some family members have flown up from the lower 48 to try and get a search underway!

Mention of going to get caribou meat cached. That make me think bear. [video]https://www.newschannel5.com/news/tough-as-a-pine-knot-sons-join-search-for-missing-tennessee-hunter-in-alaska[/video]

I would love to go fly and help search, but Deadhorse is out of my league. If anyone here has the capability for such assistance to our Alaska guests from Tennessee, I will throw some green rectangles your way. SA

When I was getting fuel in Deadhorse earlier in the week, there were three helicopters and at least one CAP plane looking for him. The story I heard was he went back for some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way to camp. The guy missing went back for the meat without a gun and adequate clothing…then the fog moved in like it does up there…That is not a good scenario for survival.

When I was getting fuel in Deadhorse earlier in the week, there were three helicopters and at least one CAP plane looking for him. The story I heard was he went back for some caribou meat that they couldn’t carry all the way to camp. The guy missing went back for the meat without a gun and adequate clothing…then the fog moved in like it does up there…That is not a good scenario for survival.

Ouch! Not good for sure.

MTV

Sucks for the family but might be a Darwin moment.

That link says a pa-12 crashed and pilot was dead

nevermind I think the news video changed before I clicked to play it

If it were my choice I'd get some scent dogs up there and go looking. But, water can hide lots of things until it doesn't.

Gary

Does this area have sink holes? A couple of times I’ve stepped into holes in the tundra that appear to be like all of the rest of the tundra but act like quick sand. The last time my son was a couple hundred yards away when I yelled and he didn’t hear me. I threw my rifle out in front of me onto hard ground and pulled myself out after sinking to my waist. If I’d had a load of meat on my back it would have been difficult and I picture myself just disappearing from sight and the green scum closing back over the hole.

I've not seen sinkholes there but they might exist. Also never heard of anyone finding them. I worked there some the last century but mainly near lakes and rivers not involving much walking across the rough tundra. There are areas of newly melting permafrost.

This is a tragic event, and soon enough that area of Alaska will refreeze sealing up any lost, buried, or submerged objects. Current temps 9/9/22 are in the mid-30's.

Gary

X2 on the sinkholes. I broke through on a caribou hunt in the Mulchatna area once. Looked like good ground, glad I wasn't loaded down either.

Unfortunately I haven’t heard of the any news on the hunter who is missing up near Deadhorse.
I picked up a lost hunter in the Jack Rabbit hills out Iliamna back several years ago, he had gone four or five days with no coat, food or weapon. He was wet and cold and weak when I found him and I doubt he would have survived much longer . He survived on blueberries.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back