• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Marion harrasses a beaver with a boat.

Good thing they don't have a commercial dumpster emptying service in Halibut Cove. That banging will wake the dead and some that don't know it yet.

Gary

No medevacs, resupply, disaster relief or any other form of assistance before 1:00pm to respect the privacy of the residents.

One land/business owner putting something out does not make it a unanimous feeling or right to dictate to the the surrounding land owners. Just because she puts it on her website does not make it a rule.

Does anyone know if (or how) we will get to find out if our regulatory/enforcement folks (FAA, Troopers, Coast Guard, whoever) are doing anything at all as regards the obviously unsafe (and surely criminal?) activity of the boat driver?

I am wondering if we should feel encouraged or not. "Investigations" these days seem to be either persecution of the politically incorrect or protection of the political elite. The other "social media" commentaries on this event indicate that the boat driver is clearly part of the political elite around Homer and Halibut Cove.
But I have another question for those with experience on floats - Is the supposed "prop strike" sound towards the end - where the boat wake seems to get high enough to have caused such - really a big deal or not? Doesn't function on floats have some level of assumed wave/spray "impact" on prop tips factored into float ops?

Marian Beck has been screwing around like this for years. This isn't the first incident. This time got a little traction because the video got posted and went viral. Her father, Clem Tillion was definitely a political player. He was known as the fish czar and had his hands all over the creation of the Alaska Permanent Fund dividend. I wouldn't say she is elite but the family name is/was. Her husband Dave usually keeps her in check. In fact in the video I've seen the person recording says "Where's Dave?" as in someone go get him to shut this down.

What happens now? Who knows.

I've been around long enough to know this isn't isolated to Halibut Cove. I have seen guys tear up airstrips, dig trenches and do all kind of other bad deeds to limit access. I can think of a few times people got drug into court but don't recall any jail time. Just scolding and fines with don't do it again orders.

I doubt there was any damage from wake action in the cove on the prop.

Now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Clem Tillion. Geez, another case among some with those that supposedly had “power” politically and long after their tenure their family members/ relatives thinking their s@#* doesn’t stink and can get away with stuff like this. Take that and $.50 and it’ll buy you a cup of exactly nothing anywhere.
Apparently in the case of Marian Beck, there’s no clue how the world works.

Stalledout, your so right about folks limiting access like they “own the place”, though in some cases they do, but far from all. Makes things difficult and in a lot of cases dangerous for others. Sad.

But I have another question for those with experience on floats - Is the supposed "prop strike" sound towards the end - where the boat wake seems to get high enough to have caused such - really a big deal or not? Doesn't function on floats have some level of assumed wave/spray "impact" on prop tips factored into float ops?
In that particular case, it is likely the Beaver engine was running at idle RPM. So the slapping of the water would do no harm. However had the rpm been high, there is definite possibility of the water damaging the prop.

Here are a couple of examples.
iu
300px-Nardi_FN.333_Riviera_N627_OSH_28.07.10R_edited-2.jpg

During the getting on the step phase, all the water blown back by the front prop of the Skymaster as well as the spray created by the floats went through the rear prop. You could see and hear the water hitting the blades. That prop was destroyed with just a few take offs.
A Riviera was ferried to one of my former employers for resale (bank foreclosure). It had a lot less than 100 hours total time since new. All three prop blades were so chewed up they had to be replaced with new. The blades looked like a crosscut hand saw. I was asked to check myself out in it in order to demonstrate it to potential customers. That's another story, an interesting airplane.

In that particular case, it is likely the Beaver engine was running at idle RPM. So the slapping of the water would do no harm. However had the rpm been high, there is definite possibility of the water damaging the prop.

Here are a couple of examples.
iu
300px-Nardi_FN.333_Riviera_N627_OSH_28.07.10R_edited-2.jpg

During the getting on the step phase, all the water blown back by the front prop of the Skymaster as well as the spray created by the floats went through the rear prop. You could see and hear the water hitting the blades. That prop was destroyed with just a few take offs.
A Riviera was ferried to one of my former employers for resale (bank foreclosure). It had a lot less than 100 hours total time since new. All three prop blades were so chewed up they had to be replaced with new. The blades looked like a crosscut hand saw. I was asked to check myself out in it in order to demonstrate it to potential customers. That's another story, an interesting airplane.

All you have to do is watch a Goose land or takeoff from water, and you’ll realize that bit of spray exposure was pretty minor. Thanks to Lycoming and the FAA, now everyone seems to think if your prop impacts a smallish grasshopper, you are doomed to an engine tear down.

Not to minimize true prop strikes, mind you, but what was shown here was not a big deal.

MTV

This whole thing looks like an average event the few times I landed and took off by the Cooperstown waterfront. Boats are like a moth to a flame.

Glenn

This whole thing looks like an average event the few times I landed and took off by the Cooperstown waterfront. Boats are like a moth to a flame.

Glenn

One of my first landings was in alton bay on the weekend. Drunk boaters. Holy cow they all wanted to see the airplane. Pretty big waves too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

..... I have seen guys tear up airstrips, dig trenches and do all kind of other bad deeds to limit access. .......

I recall reading on this website a few years back about a guide (?) in a super cub bounce his wheels off another cub parked on "his" remote hunting strip.
As well as people parking their airplanes on remote strips as to block their being used by others.

I recall reading on this website a few years back about a guide (?) in a super cub bounce his wheels off another cub parked on "his" remote hunting strip.
As well as people parking their airplanes on remote strips as to block their being used by others.

Seems like the difference is that those aircraft did not have to land at those strips, they had alternatives. The Beaver, on the other hand, had no choice but to deal with the waves from the boat. That placed those on board in harms way.

Web

The State of Alaska has a specific regulation which prohibits intentionally blocking a “landing site”. The Troopers fairly actively enforce that statute.

This case isn’t quite as clear cut a violation of statute….maybe. It’ll be interesting to see what the “authorities” decide to do,

MTV

On Google they are giving poor reviews to the WRONG place. I'm all for making sure this type of behavoir is not tolerated, but for goodness sake make sure you get the right place before you ruin the reputation of an innocent business.

SHEESH!

Hmmm. So then the internet bullies are being not much different than the boat bully they are wishing to penalize! But at least maybe not risking physical harm with their self gratification like she was.

Hmmm. So then the internet bullies are being not much different than the boat bully they are wishing to penalize! But at least maybe not risking physical harm with their self gratification like she was.
To give a bad review about a restaurant they have never been to is wrong to me no matter what the owner did. I see too many people jump on a bandwagon and gangbang someone on social media and they know nothing about what really happened. I local non-licensed drone operator videoed a local forest fire and posted it on Facebook. I asked him how he got permission to do that with a TFR in place online. I had been watching the SEAT planes and air tankers working the fire all day on Flightaware. That night Austin, Wichita Falls and Lubbock news stations picked up his video and aired it. I told my wife that night that the FAA would be contacting him because of all the attention. Sure enough the next morning he is ranting about someone calling the FAA on him and everyone came out in droves on a witch hunt. My wife was worried people thought I did it because of my comment the previous day. I could care less, they all just show their ignorance but the mob can cause serious harm to businesses etc. I am not condoning what the boat driver did in any way but that doesn't justify the social media mob lambasting businesses and getting the wrong business.

I spent some time last night flagging all of the 1 star reviews on google as "inappropriate" because they were all made by the internet clowns who have never been to the place. If they had been there they would have realized they were leaving reviews for the WRONG restaurant, effectively destroying the reputation of a little coffe shop that had NOTHING to do with this.

I would invite anyone else who has a google account to also flag these 1 star reviews as innappropriate.

This is the innocent place that got Hammered by the Google 1-Star Review trolls - Halibut Cove Coffee House.

-------------------

This is the place owned by Marian Beck who is at the center of this - https://thesaltryrestaurant.com/

Last edited:
Is the video this behaviour gonna result in entitled people being called "Marions" instead of "Karens"?

I spent some time last night flagging all of the 1 star reviews on google as "inappropriate" because they were all made by the internet clowns who have never been to the place. If they had been there they would have realized they were leaving reviews for the WRONG restaurant, effectively destroying the reputation of a little coffe shop that had NOTHING to do with this.

I would invite anyone else who has a google account to also flag these 1 star reviews as innappropriate.

This is the innocent place that got Hammered by the Google 1-Star Review trolls - Halibut Cove Coffee House.

-------------------

This is the place owned by Marian Beck who is at the center of this - https://thesaltryrestaurant.com/
I did the same thing with a review on my wife's CPA firm. Some woman was trying to up her rating on Google by reviewing places she had never been. I had someone give me a bad review bacause my name came up on a Google search of an insurance company he had had an issue with. I emailed him and he removed it but holy cats.

Is the video this behaviour gonna result in entitled people being called "Marions" instead of "Karens"?

Perhaps the title of the thread should be edited to prevent that. No one named Marion seems to have been involved. (I originally thought Marion was a really bad typo for moron.)

Perhaps the title of the thread should be edited to prevent that. No one named Marion seems to have been involved. (I originally thought Marion was a really bad typo for moron.)

The name of the boat driver is……Marian, apparently.

MTV

Like I said earlier, this isn't anything new, it just got attention now because the video landed on social media this time. I'm sure many of us remember watching the video of Alice balling up her 206.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mirian has acted like this for decades, both on land and on water. She's a 68 year old drunk loudmouthed spoiled child and a bully. No one has ever called her out on it because she's rich and her family owns most of Halibut Cove, including her restaurant. She wasn't terrorizing Eric and his customers over lost revenue, she was terrorizing them because she feels that she owns the whole entire Kachemak Bay and she has always hated floatplanes in 'her Cove.' The only floatplanes she wants to see in 'her Cove' are the ones her drunk pal Alice Rogoff crashes into the Cove.

If it's in the hands of the vaunted Alaska State Troopers, this whole thing is on it's way to being buried deeper than Jimmy Hoffa.

Web

Back