• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Animal print identification

frequent_flyer

Arizona, USA
Does any one know what animal made this print? Environment is central AZ near Verde river. My index finger tip to thumb tip about 8 inches (edit - relaxed hand as in photo is about 6.5 inch index to thumb) . Track was not continuous, maybe 2 or 3 only where the wet gravel had just the right consistency.

Attachments

• print.PNG
    print.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
No claws showing so not K9, I'm thinking young lion or Bob Cat.

I was thinking Bobcat too but there is no rear central pad showing. I imagined the cat at the edge of the flooded area testing the ground with an extended paw.

I have heard a least one report of a mountain lion sighting in this area but it wasn't recent.

Sure doesn't look like a cat track to me, not rpund enough. How big are the coyotes in that area? Claws don't always show in a k9 track, my money is on it being a domestic dog, or a 40lb+ coyote.

I edited the hand size reference in the original post. Relaxed hand as in photo is more like 6.5 inches between thumb and index finger. That makes the print about 2.2 inches wide. Seems a bit too big for a Bobcat but about right for a Coyote. I had previously eliminated coyote because no claws showing.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll see the critter one day and have the long lens on the camera.

Looks like a fox,

I have to agree. The canids have bigger feet than a lot of people realize. I’ve watched foxes just being foxes, hunting and such, and after they’ve passed by gone and investigated their tracks specifically for the purpose of getting a size reference. A foxes “dainty” little leg is disproportionate to the size of their feet. And no, especially depending on the terrain they live in, their claws don’t always show. Rough, rocky terrain will keep their claws worn down to the point they’ll rarely if ever show. Based on the finger in the picture, looks to be about two inches long or just a bit more…easily within the realm of a mature adult fox.
Could possibly be a young coyote I suppose also.

Oz

Back