• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

DHC-2 New Style Regulator

wireweinie

FOUNDER
Palmer, AK
Some of you Beaver drivers already know that the usual Jasco J12M24SP regulator is no longer made. Instead, the Plane-Power R1224J regulator is to be used. If you order one up, don't forget the 'J' on the part number. VERY important.

So, to educate myself, I began looking for a wiring diagram for this new product. Don't waste your time, there isn't one. Best thing available is the R1224 Installation Instructions, PN 12-1001, Section 'N'. This gives written instructions pertaining to installing this new reg in existing Jasco charging systems. And lets say they are a bit lacking in clarity. For instance C, (2) says to remove the load resistor we have always installed for the Jasco reg, but says NOTHING about keeping/removing the AUX wiring between the reg and alternator. Then, B, (2) says add a jumper from reg 'ENABLE' to reg 'AUX'. But the generic instructions at the beginning of the manual states to always connect reg AUX to alternator AUX any time there is an AUX terminal on the alternator.

After several unanswered emails from Hartzell, I called them this morning. After being told repeatedly to just follow instructions (including 'always install a connection between reg AUX and alternator AUX) an extremely annoyed young lady put me on hold in order to confer with someone (engineer?). When she came back, she instructed me to install the jumper for reg 'ENABLE' to reg 'AUX'. Then instructed me to never connect the alternator 'AUX' as it is not a 'true AUX' (her words, not mine). When I, again, pointed out the problems with the instructions and the need for a specific diagram for this installation, she began to get angry and kept repeating that engineering had been told all this and has not made any changes. So there we are, Lol. Once again Hartzell is just TO busy to bother with little things customers need, such as clear instructions.

So I took the info from Section 'N' and the info from the angry woman and made my own diagram. This is the standard generic diagram from Plane-Power. I have labeled some hard items for clarity and color coded the changes in wires. For this diagram remove anything in red (AUX wire and ground on regulator) and add the green wires (jumper from 'ENABLE' to 'AUX' and the ground wire from reg 'GROUND' to the alternator case ground). If you are installing one of these new regs, I'd highly recommend using all new wires at the reg, as this is a fairly simple install and its easier to install clean wires than screw around with old stuff.

I've attached Section 'N' info and the diagram I modified. Between the two you should have enough info to make this install. As usual, ask any questions, and I'll answer them to the best of my abilities.

Web

Attachments

• Section 'N'.pdf
    251.1 KB · Views: 169
  • Jasco connections.pdf
    122.9 KB · Views: 159
what a life saver sad that Hartzell has really ruined the Jasco quality and instruction. Support is terribe. We use 14 Jasco's on our filed here.

Completely agree here. I was a Plane-Power dealer way back. They treated me incredibly well. When Hartzell bought them, I called to ask how I could be their Plane-Power dealer for Alaska. I was told 'we don't even want to deal with you'. Yup, actual quote. As far as I'm concerned, they have not improved.

But, since I am a huge Plane-Power fan, I'll just have to suck it up. Good product, bad customer service.

Web

Completely agree here. I was a Plane-Power dealer way back. They treated me incredibly well. When Hartzell bought them, I called to ask how I could be their Plane-Power dealer for Alaska. I was told 'we don't even want to deal with you'. Yup, actual quote. As far as I'm concerned, they have not improved.

But, since I am a huge Plane-Power fan, I'll just have to suck it up. Good product, bad customer service.

Web

We seem to lose Plane Power alternators faster than we change oil. Not impressed.

Try getting any help out of Hartzell when they issue an AD on your prop.

Company is developing a really bad rep, unfortunately, they’re buying up other product lines.

MTV

I’m new to this site and I have a question about the mentioned load resistor. Does anyone have a part number for this? The one installed on the beaver I’m working on has a significant crack and needs replaced. I searched the part number stamped on this resistor and came up with a dead end. I have found some generic resistors online that would work but wanted to check with the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Any information is greatly appreciated!

IMG_0741.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 33
I’m new to this site and I have a question about the mentioned load resistor. Does anyone have a part number for this? The one installed on the beaver I’m working on has a significant crack and needs replaced. I searched the part number stamped on this resistor and came up with a dead end. I have found some generic resistors online that would work but wanted to check with the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Any information is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 66728

Go to mouser.com and search for part number RHA02575R00FE02. This is the correct 75 ohm resistor rated at 25 watts. It has a metal case which means it will last longer than the Beaver will, and the leads solder on instead of using a spade connector (better security).

Give me a shout if you have any problems.

Web

Back