• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EFII Pirep

NE
Looking for pireps on the EFII, electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition. Has anybody been around either or know of any systems running.

Thanks Brian

Last edited:
Do you mean EFII?

If you’re considering EFI, take a look at SDS and EFII. I went with mechanical injection but can’t stop wondering about EFI. It definitely provides better LOP ops, if that’s something you like. All the current EIs are pretty good. If you like to fiddle, as in panel programming? You’ll like EFII. I’m not as familiar with SDS. Maybe Greg Pepperd will chime in. He’s very familiar with both SDS and EFII.

Keep in mind that EFI requires a fuel return to an accumulator tank. Read the system manuals to see what’s required. No fuel return was a large part of why I went with mechanical injection.

Last edited:
Thanks Stewart,
The main reason I am interested in the electronic fuel injection is the simplicity of the install, return line not withstanding. Was talking to a gentleman yesterday about avionics and fuel systems came up and he was wary of electronic fuel injection because there aren’t many around and continental spent several thousand dollars in research and decided to pass, certified of course. There are thousands of cars with electronic fuel injection, but if they quit you just coast to the shoulder! Also would electronic fuel injection be mogas friendlier to the aviation engine world?
Thanks Brian

I think my FI is a big step up from carbs but admit that EFI offers more control than mine. Some of the resistance to EFI is the E part. Airplane guys are conditioned to use systems that aren't dependent on the electrical system. That's why Pmags dominate exp EI. Guys running capacitive EI require back-up power, usually a redundant battery on a separate bus. EFI will need the same consideration. Not a huge deal these days with lightweight batteries and products like the EFII bus manager. To the fuel? EFII's website says it's ready for unleaded fuel but compatibility with mogas would be more about compression ratio. I'm at 10-1 so no mogas in my future, and no research done.

Have you looked at the crossflow IO550-P? That's a great advancement in cylinder design. Can't be cheap, though.

Back