• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa18-150a1

redfin

FRIEND
I note that some aircraft are registered as a PA18-150A1. Is this a correct designation?
If so, I am trying to work out what the ‘A1’ at the end of the -150 means?

Is there a reference somewhere other than the TCDS? (which shows PA150A)

Likely a typographical error at OK City or someone long ago made the wrong entry on their application and no one caught it. Then a refusal to change it because "that's the way it has been".
I had a Stinson SR. It was registered as a "SR-JR". There never was a model SR-JR That was a popular name for it as the previous model was a JR. SR was the first of the series SR, SR-1, SR-2, etc. The FAA refuse to correct their error.

Lycoming engines may come in “150” or “160” hp models, and then in -A, -B, -C, or -D variants. These letters refer to various combinations of carburetor and injection settings and Type 1 or Type 2 Dynafocal or tapered mount configurations. (this is out of a lycoming manual.) No error there.

I note that some aircraft are registered as a PA18-150A1. Is this a correct designation?

Lycoming engines may come in “150” or “160” hp models, and then in -A, -B, -C, or -D variants. These letters refer to various combinations of carburetor and injection settings and Type 1 or Type 2 Dynafocal or tapered mount configurations. (this is out of a lycoming manual.) No error there.
Notice the original question was about the registration. Those details are not part of the model designation on a registration.

I think you could be right about the airframe designation… maybe an error or ‘local’ reference?

Other option was the A1 referred to an airframe modification, which possibly could indicate a change from 150 to 160hp?

Just putting all the responses together ….

Thankyou for the input.

If its not here, then it's a typo...This is from the TCDS.

TCDS.png

Attachments

• TCDS.png
    TCDS.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 56
Notice the original question was about the registration. Those details are not part of the model designation on a registration.

They are now! Someone in the seventies walked in smoking a marlboro,wrote down the engine model and the clerk microfiched it. Once it's fich only congress can change it.

I’ve had to get the registry to change model designations in their files several times. More often than not, they will want a DAR to send a letter with the request and documentary evidence (pictures of the data plate) asking for a new registration to be issued. The last one was a DeHavilland DH-60. The registry had it listed as being made by American Moth Company. This one was actually made by DeHavilland in England. I’ve had others where I’ve changed the model designation based on a different engine installation (J3F-65 to J3C-65) where it also changes the Type Certificate.

I think Piper appended additional characters to the model based on optional equipment, but that was only for internal purposes. For Standard Category aircraft, there should NEVER be a different model than what is identified on the TCDS or in rare cases when identified on an STC to change the model designation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back