Thread: Oil Pressure on 0 200

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Pressure on 0 200

Hi

I am based in New Zealand and own a well maintained Citabria 7ECA – 318 which is powered by a Rolls Royce Continental 0 200.

The engine has run approximately 500 hours since last overhaul and uses very little oil between 25 hour oil changes.

I have two issues that I hope that you may be able to give me advice on. Firstly, very occasionally – perhaps once every 20 hours and interestingly near oil change time (Especially on cold morning after the aircraft hasn’t been flown for a while) – The oil pressure does not rise on the gauge. After warming up, when the revs are increased to around 1500rpm, the pressure rises to normal.

Secondly, around 2 years ago, my engineer was away on a trip when the oil pressure dropped to the bottom of the green range (30 psi). He made an immediate precautionary landing and decided that the oil should be changed to W100. This was done and there were no more issues until last week. I was flying and the oil pressure dropped from the normal 40 – 45 psi to 30 psi. I made an immediate precautionary landing and called my engineer. He sought advice from a NZ engine builder and it was suggested that the oil pressure sender should be looked at. This was pulled out and cleaned, put back and test flown. The engine performed flawlessly with the pressure around 40 – 45psi once again.

Before we start worrying, I thought that it would be prudent to contact the experts for their thoughts. You may know some old time 0 200 engineers that have experience with these engines.

Your thoughts or. if you could put me onto someone that could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Gordon

Post Thanks / Like
    It hard to diagnose remotely but right off the bat I am suspecting a gauge issue. Good call on checking the sender. Was your overhaul field, repair station or factory?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    It hard to diagnose remotely but right off the bat I am suspecting a gauge issue. Good call on checking the sender. Was your overhaul field, repair station or factory?

Thanks Charlie, the overhaul was done by approved Continental factory here in NZ. As soon as the weather improves I intend flying over to the maintenance base to get the gauge checked/calibrated.
    Cheers, Gordon

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds to me like the oil pump gear cavity is showing some signs wear by dropping its prime and a little lower oil pressure. next time it dosent have oil pressure CAREFULLY remove the oil temp sending bulb and use a oil can and pump some engine oil in the filter, install the bulb and try starting and see if theres oil pressure. this is what i would try IF IT WAS MINE!! and my opinion. when you pull the throttle all the way back to idle at the end of a flight what is the oil pressure? just wanted to add, and another personal opinion, if my gauge wouldnt show oil pressure on the gauge on startup, i wouldnt let it run for more than 30 to 40 seconds tops.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 08-07-2022 at 08:49 PM.
    Likes Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How about carbon chunks holding the pressure relief valve off the seat?

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this an electric or mechanical pressure gauge setup? I assume the former, but ?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the oil pressure slowly come down as the oil temperature rises?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem last fall. Both times it sat for a month and wouldn't prime itself. I had an extra overhauled acc case and bought new oil pump gears. Also check that your oil sump pickup tube is tight. How hot is your oil temp when you see 30 psi?

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 08-08-2022 at 07:53 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks Travelair3000 thanked for this post