• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mowing my 6 acre runway in 32 minutes

Fortysix12

RanchAero Grand Vista, Brooksville
A faster better way to get it done. The entire rig was under 10K and works very well. I cut at the maximum recommended speed published by the Swisher manufacture which is around 5 mph.

https://youtu.be/zTFr_GrpTZc

Last edited:
I use a Jacobson 5' flail mower, 3 bangar Kubota powered, I got a deal on it and then refurbished it, on my .16 acre runway, sometimes the 6' brushhog if I already have it on the rear of my Kubota L3301. Either one takes about 10 minutes, no one ever said life was going to be easy!

I would add my testimony to this as regards the performance of those Swisher tow-mowers. We mowed our 1900 ft runway and 4 acre "yard" without help (now we have neighbors who fly and help) for a decade with only one of them. Ours also has adapter bars and swiveling front wheels that allows for fixed mounting in the front of a 4-wheeler. It is easily the most efficient, least expensive, and lowest maintenance machine we have ever had for the job.

Fortysix12,
i know this is just a lawnmower. But when looking at the design (0:24 in the video) there is a welded 90 degree joint which takes a tremendous amount of load trying to break it, opening the 90* angle. I would run a piece of something from outboard on the mower to where the red piece connects to the tow bar completing the structural triangle. I can hear you from here, when you are at the far end of your strip and the mower separates from the rest of the rig. :evil:

Skywagon8a, You are correct. To be honest this was a semi temporary configuration but it worked out so well I never changed it. One reason for minimizing the support structure is because the angle would have to be removed to service the JD Hog tires or unbolt the entire rear tire system from the bush hog. The angle is is .375 thick and I did weld it on two sides. You would be surprised at how maneuverable the trail mowers are . There is less strain then you might think. But to be bulletproof a triangle gusset would be needed. My biggest problem was bouncing the hitch pins out and loosing the mower, solved that using spring pins. Thanks for your input. I will say that I'm amazed how nice the bushhog cuts with sharpened blades yet its rated up to 3 inch saplings.

Back