• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1952 L18c Value?

ratc

I know this is a “how long is a ball of wool” question but here goes.

1952 L18c 3500 hrs airframe and engine.
Currently flying but has had Some damage history in the past, probably like many others!

C90-8F 1100 SMOH and 100 STOH.
Radio and Transponder with battery and air driven alternator but no electric start.

Average condition, at $42k is it worth restoring?

Currently flying but has had Some damage history in the past, probably like many others!

Radio and Transponder with battery and air driven alternator but no electric start.

Figure on at least that much to restore. Is there a market for a 90 hp cub? Probably, but most want the big engine and flaps. It’s a shame to see them converted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it in need of a restoration, or is it airworthy as is? If it's airworthy, fly it until it's on its last legs, then sell it for whatever you can get for it. Put that money towards the next plane.

If it has sentimental value, restore it just the way you want, and don't let the fact that you'll have more invested in it that it's worth, bother you.

Another option is to take advantage of the current market and sell it for 20k more than it was worth 3 years ago, and wait to buy the plane of ypur dreams when the market crashes in a few months, years, etc...

Last edited:

Yep.

That sounds like a fun project. I’ve always wanted a Cub Special. That one’s close enough. The flip-flopped SQ in the classifieds may be a steal at $60K, too. Pick your poison.

If it’s average condition probably could still fly it 10 more years. 10k less than a Javron kit and comes with a motor. Be a nice project someday.

That sounds like a fun project. I’ve always wanted a Cub Special. That one’s close enough. The flip-flopped SQ in the classifieds may be a steal at $60K, too. Pick your poison.

It has been sold, coming to this field in 3 weeks or so.

The SQ-12? That should be a fun project and ultimately a fun airplane to fly. My nephew just bought and finished one. And quickly had a pulley mount tear off the tubing. The pulley mounts are a weak spot for Backcountry airframes. They need to be reinforced!

Back