• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Shock Cords on Hydrasorb Struts?

bob turner

Shop ordered 1280HDs. Aircraft is a lightweight 160 Super Cub used on paved airports only.

Would 1080HDs be better for weekend flying? Pilot is a 120 lb blonde. Rarely carries passengers.

Also I note that the Hydrasorb ears can be rotated 90 degrees so I can use the J3 installation tool. Is there any difference? I am set up with the floor jack, so I can go either way. The J3 tool spreads the cord for easy installation over the ears.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I prefer a bit tighter suspension even light. People tend to get used to what ever they have after a few landings.
DENNY

I have been searching! I apparently asked the identical question in 2019, and found a Univair statement saying the 1080s were standard. This year both Univair and Spruce say the 1080 and the 1280 are standard (HD on both).

Still hoping for a comment on rotating the ears - will put the 1280s on tomorrow.

I put 1080HDs on, and realized that you cannot rotate the Hydrasorbs - the bolt holes need to be parallel (of course).

I did them with the engine hoist method shown here in past threads. I doubt I will do that again - I shall make an adapter for my Chevy bumper jack to enable me to use it. Much safer. No need for ropes.

I used up an entire package of rope with the engine hoist.

I recall the bolt holes were 90 degrees to each other back when I ran hydrasorbs. That was a while ago, but worth confirming.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back