• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oshkosh Grand Champion Cub

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
A huge congratulations to Zac Jackson for winning a Gold Lindy, Grand Champion Plans Built.
For his exceptional experimental J-3 Cub on Bauman floats. He was assisted by Jay DeRosier at Javron with parts and support.

C49B0018-AF10-4C80-B0B6-EBF855294CB8.jpeg

E800388C-BA0B-4871-9DA5-EB2E68728578.jpeg

EC258600-ADAF-4FA2-8C64-8B4BDA5A352E.jpeg

Attachments

• C49B0018-AF10-4C80-B0B6-EBF855294CB8.jpeg
    C49B0018-AF10-4C80-B0B6-EBF855294CB8.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 2,927
  • E800388C-BA0B-4871-9DA5-EB2E68728578.jpeg
    E800388C-BA0B-4871-9DA5-EB2E68728578.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 2,805
  • EC258600-ADAF-4FA2-8C64-8B4BDA5A352E.jpeg
    EC258600-ADAF-4FA2-8C64-8B4BDA5A352E.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,806
I drooled over it a number of times…I tried to hookup with Zach for a chat but when I was there, he wasn’t …amazing accomplishment ….even more amazing is how did he find a set of Baumann 1500 A floats? Ha ha Jk.
loved the door gun and placard on the float
F3E92B11-EC94-4B17-88B4-FA0A9858E62F.jpg
E23AE71F-EBCD-4D18-B82D-0011E5BAF1E9.jpg

Attachments

• F3E92B11-EC94-4B17-88B4-FA0A9858E62F.jpg
    F3E92B11-EC94-4B17-88B4-FA0A9858E62F.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 195
  • E23AE71F-EBCD-4D18-B82D-0011E5BAF1E9.jpg
    E23AE71F-EBCD-4D18-B82D-0011E5BAF1E9.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 213
20220728_123811.jpg

Friend of mine suggested belt feed to avoid dropping magazines.

Attachments

• 20220728_123811.jpg
    20220728_123811.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 210
IMG_8041.jpeg

I had the privilege of having Zach come up and spend a few days with me in Alaska this summer. Great fun

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_8041.jpeg
    IMG_8041.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 2,504
Dan Gervae was awarded Outstanding Homebuilt for his PA-11 N906SG and Joel Schoolcraft was awarded Judges Choice for his Beaver N191Z (is this one of the Beavers in Henny’s fleet?). Well done to Dan and Joel.

Dan Gervae was awarded Outstanding Homebuilt for his PA-11 N906SG and Joel Schoolcraft was awarded Judges Choice for his Beaver N191Z (is this one of the Beavers in Henny’s fleet?). Well done to Dan and Joel.

I really enjoyed seeing that spectacular Cub. Based on the grass around it so did a lot of others.

Let me ask what may be a stupid question. What is the piece of clear plastic with the screw through it for above the passenger warning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"That is a fairy doll wing, kinda like a guardian fairy angel wing. Airplane karma"

I had to ask as well

A5EF351D-4B7A-4E29-9E85-A8D4B6BCDABA.jpeg

Zach has given several rides.....

0C8C3E61-A1C1-4DF3-99D9-F45CDE582E7E.jpeg

E00B5F68-FC79-48E9-9A4C-54C001795C6D.jpeg

During the big wind storm just before the show, a dumpster was being blown toward Zach's cub. He had to sacrifice his jeep to save the cub.

Bill

Attachments

• A5EF351D-4B7A-4E29-9E85-A8D4B6BCDABA.jpeg
    A5EF351D-4B7A-4E29-9E85-A8D4B6BCDABA.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 2,458
  • 0C8C3E61-A1C1-4DF3-99D9-F45CDE582E7E.jpeg
    0C8C3E61-A1C1-4DF3-99D9-F45CDE582E7E.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 2,397
  • E00B5F68-FC79-48E9-9A4C-54C001795C6D.jpeg
    E00B5F68-FC79-48E9-9A4C-54C001795C6D.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 2,458
Last edited:
Thanks for solving that mystery for me Bill!

I noticed over by Federal Pavilion the USFS Cub had some fresh wing damage. I asked about it and they pointed to the free sticker guys tent canopy. They said it blew over in the storm and hit the wing and punctured the tail. Glad Zach’s plane didn’t get hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like his workmanship is proving quite successful even beyond the Gold Lindy. Good work!

79535042-DFA0-4D76-99DB-884FAE523D4F.jpg

Thanks for the mention…mine doesn’t hold a candle to Zach’s but it sure is fun! I enjoyed my spot in amphib camping…it was a great place to watch the Stol shows

Attachments

• 79535042-DFA0-4D76-99DB-884FAE523D4F.jpg
    79535042-DFA0-4D76-99DB-884FAE523D4F.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]What an honor. I didn’t intend on winning anything: I just did the best job I could and showed up to the party. The chain of events over the week were really astonishing![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Some of the people that made Airventure 2022 memorable are:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Charlie Becker, Communities Director[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jim Busha, EAA, VP of Publications, Marketing, Membership, and Retail[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Doug Greenfield, EAA Photo Coordinator[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Amanda Greenfield, EAA Photo Liaison; As an aside, one of the more memorable and pleasant (headset hair) corrections of my life. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Greg Larson, Pilot of Photo 1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kristin Kizer, EAA Videography Press [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tom Caldart, EAA Videographer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jim Raeder, EAA Photographer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The professionalism and passion of the above listed, as well as the MANY others that helped to make this happen, is recognized appreciated. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Humbled by OSH 2022,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Zach Jackson[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is a refresher of the initial build thank you. These folks ought not be forgotten. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The build took 1,776 days, and much was learned throughout the process. I figured out how to build an airplane but learned more about living. It’s remarkable how much can happen in the amount of time it takes to build an airplane. Lifelong friends were made, disposition tested, life created, and life taken. There were tears of laughter, tears of shared sorrow. Kindness and joy were found in people unexpected. Even though the plane is now finished, if it were pushed out into the middle of the yard and lit on fire, it would still be a success. The people and memories will remain long beyond tubing and fabric. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There isn’t one nut, bolt, cotter pin, or rivet in the airplane that I didn’t make, install, alter or touch in some way, but I by no means lived the last 1,776 days without help. The following is a list of people who positively influenced my life in some way, shape, or form. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Jim Jackson, my dad and life long airplane builder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Doug Junker, (posthumously) legal scholar, banker, philanthropist, teacher for all things creative, mentor, non-official flight instructor, friend to the end[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mason Zetah, the man that can make metal magic happen, an authentic craftsman, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jason Anderson, out of the norm thinker, excellent welder and fabricator, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kelsey Saba, aircraft structural and component virtuoso/cookie maestro, Javron [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beau Oium, gifted machinist and extremely helpful for figuring out and duplicating oddly threaded “stuff,” Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ben Wing, fantastic machinist, lathe expert, and my go to when I dorked **many** drill bits, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matt Solderman, wing expert and great source for miscellaneous hardware, cantankerous soul with a profound, and much appreciated desire to help, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mike Karlson, fantastic help for all office and ordering needs, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mike Brown, spectacular welder, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tim Bach, my go to when I needed to find something and I didn’t want Jay to know what I was up to, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesse Montague, excellent structural fuselage welder, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jay Derosier, Cub guru, chief detective for shop pranks, “one wheel” slow speed pursuit co-defendant, Javron[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Fiedler, Chief Aircraft Therapist specializing in remedying psychological issues involving Cub construction, Captain of the “Screaming Super Chicken.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Rusk, mental health therapist for my mental health therapist [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brandon Wilson, a guaranteed source for a belly laugh when needed, cub guy brother from another mother, co-conspirator in slow speed one wheel pursuits [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Joe Birkemeyer, Baumann amphib expert, formerly of Baumann Floats, North Point Aviation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jay Poshak, J.L.H.B.F. R. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mark Poshak[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Linda Poshak, extremely tolerant lake home baron who facilitated me covering an airplane in a spectacular space fit for a national geographic photographer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Patka Family, (et al), tolerant neighbors who never called the cops once![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Douten Thomas[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve Trutschel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rob Palmer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jonathan McCormick, Evoke Aircraft Design[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chris Weis, when others couldn’t get cockpit placarding accomplished, this man performed faster than I could imagine, and with stellar results, I strongly endorse this company, Aerographics[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kris Wells[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brandon Tautges[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clyde Smith [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Huston Marlowe[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bob Turner[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kevin Dunrud, Horizon Aircraft Engine Services[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lycon Aircraft Engines[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Randy Apling, Carbon Concepts [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Steve Wagner, DAR[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bill Zarn, a “can do” person who provided after hours energy service and good conversation to boot. Remarkable how when the need arises, the white haired oil company owner shows up to the farm to solve my problem. Thank you Bill, you are appreciated. Zarns Oil Co. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To those above, and those who I have failed to mention, thank you for your willingness to share your abilities, patience, kindness, and in many cases friendship. The vocation you have chosen isn’t just a job, you are contributing happiness to the world and peoples lives depend on you. You all have added value to my life, and soon to others who will be enjoying NX91RJ with me, for (hopefully) many years to come. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Temporary steward for Romeo Juliet,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Zach Jackson”[/FONT]

Congratulations Zach, Glad I could be of a little assistance. I now have 2 PA-11's legal on the Baumann floats N5082H and N5081H. Hope to see your plane up close some day. Douten

Congratulations Zach, Glad I could be of a little assistance. I now have 2 PA-11's legal on the Baumann floats N5082H and N5081H. Hope to see your plane up close some day. Douten
Douten, We'd all like to see a picture of your new Plane:)

Tried to post some but can't figure it out they were taken with my I phone and put into my mac just gives me a number but photos won't come up. I'll keep trying.

Thanks guys it came out nice and is a sleeper with the little c-90. Bill hope to meet up in Greenville this fall.

Hey Zach, show us a picture of your overhead gear retract Johnson bar….I forgot to take a pic of that.

After watching around a dozen "hot �� rod" Super Cubs blast out of Fairground field this Saturday morning, I couldn't help but notice the cute little PA-11 in the above pictures; pulled up and simply beat 99% of the pack of the big tire 18 boys, off the ground, in his 90hp Amphip !! This will certainly be one in the money, at Greenville for sure. He did a first class job on this "Cub Special".

Could Glen be planing to try to assault Douten at Greenville, with a 90lb girl driving his float rocket ???? Stay tuned for that one, lol. ( Wasn't that an old Tim Hodgkin's trick?) Greenville is sure to not disappoint.....

Last edited:
Back