• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops? Or WTF???

Speculation that P2 had a door (tail ramp) open and fell while attempting to inspect the gear rather than intentionally abandoning the aircraft.

Fell? From how high? Without a parachute? And lived? Went home from the hospital the same day? I'll go with WTF?

Fatal accident... (pilot falls to death before emergency landing)
(29/July/2022)
- United States of America [emoji631] :
A Spore Ltd LLC/Rampart Aviation LLC CASA CN 212-200 Aviocar twin engine plane, registration N497CA, sustained unknown damage when it was involved in an accident at Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU/KRDU), Morrisville, North Carolina.
The captain sustained minor injuries, and first officer was fatally injured.

Preliminary information indicates that the aircraft (call sign Shady 02) was used for civilian contracted aircraft for training military troop jumpers. Review of the flight data shows that the crew were conducting flight maneuvers, the aircraft landed hard at Raeford West Airport, and the crew decided to divert to RDU after suffering problems with the fixed right-hand landing gear (lost the wheel).

What happened after that remains unclear, multiple news sites reported that the co-pilot, aged 23, "jumped" from the plane. On going speculation on aviation blogs suggests the pilot fell from the airplane while trying to inspect the damage. Review of the accident photos (photo number 2 on this post) shows that the tail gate was open.

The captain managed to reach RDU, made a low pass, circled around and landed, during the landing sequence, the aircraft veered to the right and sustained unspecified damage.

The NTSB defines an aviation accident as the following:

"Aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage."

- ATC recording:
https://archive.liveatc.net/kfay/KFAY1-App-Dep-Jul-29-2022-1800Z.mp3

- Flightaware:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N497CA/history/20220729/1710Z/NR20/KRDU

- ADS-B:
https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?ica...m=15.8&showTrace=2022-07-29&leg=4&trackLabels

- Photos via various media sources

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1082.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG

IMG_1084.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1081.JPG
    IMG_1081.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 99
Okay…. Back to WTF!
WTF.
One time I returned from flying the 185, parked, and decided I was having a very fun day, so I fired up the cub and went up the river, exploring. When I return to our yard my wife was gone and left a message saying WTF!
I texted back, "Was That Fun?, why yes it was." She found my response humorous enough to forgive me. I don't think this copilot's experience was that fun. What Thinking Friend?

Would be interesting to know who was flying during the “hard landing”, but no way to know.

Pretty bizarre accident in any case.

MTV

No one thinks that one guy threw the other out?
I doubt it in that CASA. The pilot would have had to leave his seat, leaving the cockpit unoccupied. There was an incident near hear a few years ago when a person went for a local "sightseeing" trip (Cessna 150 as I recall) asking to circle his "girl friend's" house. While they were circling the house the passenger opened the door and jumped out. Surprised the pilot who couldn't hold him back. ........ Splat! True story.

Back