• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help with prop for 100 HP J-3

Flightrider

Jupiter, FL / Spirit Lake, ID
Hi guys, I'd appreciate any advice relative to the following:
I have a '46 J3 with an STC'd 0-200 that was installed 15 years ago and I recently damaged the Seninich wood prop that had been installed at the time under a 337. So I'm now trying select a replacement prop.
The issue is that the Univair STC for the 0-200 on the J3 only has one prop called out as approved -- that is the McCauley 1A101/DCM 6944 and Univair says that prop may not even be available anymore. And as I think about it, that may why the former owner put the Seninich W72GK-46 prop on it 15 years ago. That prop has worked fine up until now, even though it was never listed as an approved prop on the airplane to my knowledge.

So my question is:
1. Can I simply buy a replacement Seninich W72GK-46 and legally have my mechanic install it since that is what was previously installed under a 337? Keep in mind that almost assuredly the only prop that IS listed, the McCauley 1A101 DCM 6944 is not available.
2. Any other suggestions would appreciated.

Man needing a Prop...

Dave C

If the wood prop 337 was done properly and approved (not just by the IA) and was not serial number specific, yes you can replace with another just like it. Don't laugh about the serial number . I did an 0200 in a champ some years ago with a field approval and the fed made that prop the only one that could ever be used on it. Ridiculous but true. I had an stc for it too but he didn't like it an insisted on his own field approval. Go figure.

Hi guys, I'd appreciate any advice relative to the following:
I have a '46 J3 with an STC'd 0-200 that was installed 15 years ago and I recently damaged the Seninich wood prop that had been installed at the time under a 337. So I'm now trying select a replacement prop.
The issue is that the Univair STC for the 0-200 on the J3 only has one prop called out as approved -- that is the McCauley 1A101/DCM 6944 and Univair says that prop may not even be available anymore. And as I think about it, that may why the former owner put the Seninich W72GK-46 prop on it 15 years ago. That prop has worked fine up until now, even though it was never listed as an approved prop on the airplane to my knowledge.

So my question is:
1. Can I simply buy a replacement Seninich W72GK-46 and legally have my mechanic install it since that is what was previously installed under a 337? Keep in mind that almost assuredly the only prop that IS listed, the McCauley 1A101 DCM 6944 is not available.
2. Any other suggestions would appreciated.

Man needing a Prop...

Dave C

This McCauley could be repitched to 44

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1623382-McCauley-propeller.html

Also, I would have no problem installing a wooden prop on the J3.

Last edited:
Best off the ground pulling prop I ever flew was a Mac DCM 6948 that was only 67" on a 0200 on my Pa11

Glenn

Back