• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hartzell-Style CS Prop Bolt Safety Wiring

I've had an Anti Splat wrench since I built the plane. It's a useful tool but it's still a PITA chore.

Being more curious than practical, and since a good friend told me my bolts need to torqued to 65#, not 55# (verified), so I need to clip my wires and start over (yippee!), I'll pick up an .032 safety cable tool and 50 cables/ferrules this afternoon. Spruce has them in stock and I'm tired of fighting with prop bolts. It makes no sense for a guy needing to pull three cables but it looks cool, I like cool toys, and cool toys are never practical. I wonder how many cables I'll screw up to finish three pairs of bolts? :)

FWIW, per Grant's advice I looked at Ebay for a cable tool. Most of the used tools don't include a nose piece. The ads say what you see is what you get. I found that odd. Maybe I'm missing something.

Hartzell torque specs below. My Trailblazer is R flange. Don't know if your prop is the same but I would assume the manufacturer provided a specification.

Attachments

• Hartzell torque table.PNG
    Hartzell torque table.PNG
    86.1 KB · Views: 54
Hartzell torque specs below. My Trailblazer is R flange. Don't know if your prop is the same but I would assume the manufacturer provided a specification.
Stewart is correct, the Whirlwind 1/2" bolts are torqued to 65 ft-lbs. If it was on a smaller engine with 7/16" bolts it would be 47 ft-lbs.

A quick Pirep. I’m in love with this safety cable concept. Three for three on my first try. Remove spinner, remove safety wire, adjust a few bolts, thread safety cable, torque bolts, finish the safety cable ends, reinstall spinner. One hour. So simple. I can thread safety cable into nuts I couldn’t thread wire into. Probably could have done the first couple that were at a right angle with the help of a 90° pick. Live and learn. Great product!

A quick Pirep. I’m in love with this safety cable concept. Three for three on my first try. Remove spinner, remove safety wire, adjust a few bolts, thread safety cable, torque bolts, finish the safety cable ends, reinstall spinner. One hour. So simple. I can thread safety cable into nuts I couldn’t thread wire into. Probably could have done the first couple that were at a right angle with the help of a 90° pick. Live and learn. Great product!

Can you post a pic?

FWIW, per Grant's advice I looked at Ebay for a cable tool. Most of the used tools don't include a nose piece. The ads say what you see is what you get. I found that odd. Maybe I'm missing something.

I set an auto search and email alert for Daniels Saf-t-cable tool on ebay. I would get emails as soon as they would go live. It took about 6 months of waiting for the right deal. Sometimes its better to just buy new anyway... Also you should get a pack of these too...

https://www.wirecare.com/interest/s...ble-self-looping-cable-032-x-18-50-piece-pack

Super exepnsive but worth it when you need it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by stewartb

Can you post a pic?​

Yes please. I've never seen 'safety cables' in lieu of safety wire, or lock wire so I can't visualise what you're talking about.

Thanks.

My favorite saying "If it were easy everyone would do it. "
My favorite tools for the job. A Snap On tool for removing those little pins on automotive carburetors and the safety cable tool.
PXL_20220801_180835688.jpg
PXL_20220801_180845485.jpg
PXL_20220801_180941937.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220801_180835688.jpg
    PXL_20220801_180835688.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 316
  • PXL_20220801_180845485.jpg
    PXL_20220801_180845485.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 285
  • PXL_20220801_180941937.jpg
    PXL_20220801_180941937.jpg