• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA 11 Repair

Freddyp

Hi I am a new member. I have an amateur built PA11. It was a certified PA11 and has been converted to amateur built and the original owner made some changes to the turtle deck that I don't like. I am recovering the fuselage. It has not been recovered since 1961. My question is does the turtle deck on the certified version use plywood frames and wood mushroom stringers ? Or does anyone have drawings or pictures of how it is constructed ? Thanks

A reprint PA-11 parts manual will show what the configuration looked like. The stringers (mushroom) are wood. The rest soft steel channel for the birdcage and then over to 4130 for the frame.

A reprint PA-11 parts manual will show what the configuration looked like. The stringers (mushroom) are wood. The rest soft steel channel for the birdcage and then over to 4130 for the frame.

Thanks I will have a look.

Even more interesting - if you are experimental, is it Experimental-Amateur Built, or some exhibition variant?

I have never seen mushroom stringers on a Cub (except the aluminum ones) but I have not been into a PA-11.

Got a copy of the manual. It does not show much detail on the turtle deck. Mine has plywood forms from the 4130 longerons to the mushroom stringers. Any place else I could get some details ?

It is registered amateur build in Canada. I was thinking of rebuilding the frames and using aluminum tubing for stringers. You got any pictures or drawings of something similar.

4711 Musroom.jpeg4711 Mushroom 2.jpeg4711 Mushroom 3.jpeg4711 Musroom 4.jpeg

Attachments

• 4711 Musroom.jpeg
    4711 Musroom.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 4711 Mushroom 2.jpeg
    4711 Mushroom 2.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 4711 Mushroom 3.jpeg
    4711 Mushroom 3.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 4711 Musroom 4.jpeg
    4711 Musroom 4.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 95
Taylorcraft used them on the L-2. They are probably overkill on a Cub, although they look nice. Mine are Douglas Fir, ripped from 3/4" planks in 1969, and are still dead-straight under their second cover.

Back