• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PSTOL flaps Landing technique

Anyone else notice that the original post made comments most of us with PStol flaps have made. He never asked for advice.

Took a CFI up yesterday in a 160 Cub. We had to go to 5000’ before he was comfortable, and after a reasonably good straight ahead stall and recovery he refused to even induce a break in any condition except flaps up straight ahead. And no demo stalls.

He knows I routinely fly upside down, and he has done stalls with me previously. He used to trust me.

old age is a bitch.

that CFI would not do well in UPSET training... LOL...time for him to quit---age is not always an issue--I`m 89 and still "play" seriously with CUB and RV-8---you get old when you stop flying---Capt Cub------PS--how did he pass the check ride???

A flight review is not a check ride. And my stall sequence is now completely outside FAA requirements. I cannot force a student to go beyond FAA requirements - it has to be voluntary.

I do not mind demonstrating or watching an FAA recommended stall sequence, but I want to see if pilots can fly on the ragged edge without stalling, and then I want them to force the aircraft to stop flying, followed by a minimum altitude loss recovery. Not everybody sees the value in this.

I no longer recommend folks for checkrides. First, I do not know 4000 factoids about anything, much less aviation. A six hour oral is officially longer than any oral I ever took, including those in a university environment.

And second, most designees are unable to specify what they want during a checkride (can you show me a 60 mph approach with power on?). Had a J3 student flunk because the examiner couldn't say that sentence. I don't understand that philosophy.

... but I want to see if pilots can fly on the ragged edge without stalling, and then I want them to force the aircraft to stop flying, followed by a minimum altitude loss recovery. Not everybody sees the value in this.
That sounds like slow flight to me. Don't they do that anymore?

Isn't that what they are doing during those STOL contests such as at Valdez? That fellow a few years ago in Talkeetna couldn't do slow flight.

Establish and maintain an airspeed at which any further increase in angle of attack,increase in load factor, or reduction in power, would result in a stall warning (e.g., airplanebuffet, stall horn, etc.)
Accomplish coordinated straight-and-level flight, turns, climbs, and descents with theairplane configured as specified by the evaluator without a stall warning (e.g., airplanebuffet, stall horn, etc.).

Yep. I see less value in that than I do in notifying airmissions.
The stall warning horn in my Decathlon was set to go on a full 8 mph before onset of buffet. Obnoxious on approach.

Back