• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PK vs EDO Strut Material

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
I'm looking at a set of PK 1800's. Does anyone know if the PK float strut and spreader bar tubing is available and is it the same as an EDO 2000, for example.

Thanks

D.A.

Doesn't answer your question but my friend has a set of those for sale with 18 rigging and fuselage fittings

Glenn

Have you flown with them? If so, what is your impression of them?
I installed and flew a set of PK1800s on a Citabria which had been on a set of EDO 2000s. The best of my memory was that the PKs had less floatation forward which under certain wave conditions meant that you had to be more cautious in your handling. The plane floated a little "flatter" on the water than with the EDOs. Personally, I wouldn't want them unless nothing else was available.

Have you flown with them? If so, what is your impression of them?

Only flew them once, but flew along side them a bunch. Eds 18 is an early 0320 cub. Very light 1040lbs if that. Stock 7656 prop and it was flying faster off the water then any edo 2000 cub I ever saw. Even Borer or Catto ones. Turbobeaver might remember them as Dan put them on Phil's Zinks cub back in the day

Glenn

On that F-19 Taylorcraft above they were overfloated and slow aloft. Owner tried adding some length to the rear strut for speed but the takeoff was longer. Also the struts were tall and that probably added some drag.

Gary

I think if you research it you will find even though the tags say 1800. Those floats are very similar to 1650's in actual floatation......... On an 1100lb Citabria they take water OVER the front of the floats taxing at 1000 rpms. They worked ok on a 95hp Super Cub a friend had that only weighed 880lbs. They would probably be ok, on a 115 Cub if you were careful in the wind, but would be pretty under floated: with 2 people and full tanks... Edo 2000's would come up onto the step alot better, with a load aft for sure.
On a 900lb plane sure, on a 1100lb plane I think you will be pretty disappointed???? When you put a float trailer under 1800 PK's they are NARROWer than 1320's!!!!!( Tippy)
Yes I am aware of Phil Zinks 180hp Cub on 1800PK's, but
Reid mopped that up with his 160hp Cub on 2000's.......
As Pete said:" probably be my last choice", as well. In a 15 mph wind it will submarine the downwind float completely
underwater on an 1100 lb airplane! Sorta spooky setup imho. You will be limited to a 'big load' in small whitecaps; to a small box, of styrofoam cups! LoL.;-)
Good luck with that one!
E

Last edited:
PK typically added that inside bottom cupped chine extension to the 1800's (see pic of bottom #4). Common on their others - I guess to add some float bottom area and keep water spray off the aircraft's belly? CAP did similar on the 3000's but made that chine lip vertical and extended back to the step instead of cupped. I'd be tempted to add something similar to the outside chine of a marginal float.

Gary

I'd be tempted to add something similar to the outside chine of a marginal float.

Gary
This would help in getting on and maintaining on the step but would do nothing for inadequate floatation. And as Earle said with a narrow spacing between the floats including less than desirable floatation they would be very tippy (high danger towards capsizing). Many under floated airplanes have capsized in any of 360 degrees of direction. I found the remains of an under floated 185 on 2700 amphibs in the Canadian bush. By coincidence I later met the person who did it at Greenville. It had capsized while sailing backwards in high wind.

Back