• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Axe mounting/storage

Kodiakmack

winters in Utah, Summers in Idaho
Curious how people mount/store their axe. The struts seem like a good place with rubber grip straps but probably is frowned upon by the feds in the lower 48. I don’t have extended baggage in the -12, but do have a fishing Rod tube and the -14 cathedral brace. 27” axe. Let’s hear what y’all do.

I usually keep mine in the belly pod. In extended baggage if I have pod full of meat/props/struts. I would only hang it on a strut/gear if I had no other place to stick it. Everything you put out on the gear or struts is drag!! I have stuck survival gear on strut because cub was full of bypass mail. If you use it for a step then you are trading step drag but I think a ax has higher drag. While we are on the topic (caution wine on board) Having a ax onboard is weight, but it is a extremely useful tool for driving in Duckbills/tent stakes/clearing runways/cutting wood/ect!! If I had my choice to survive in Alaska and most anywhere I would take a ax over any firearm!! Packing aircraft is simple put in what you need after the crash. Everything else fits or stays on the ramp!! DENNY

D3619376-92F0-4D47-8220-596D364520E7.jpeg

D8872BC6-50A2-4F6B-8886-AF1610B3F3A1.jpeg

Incidental pics of handles in belly pod. Best place IMO.

Attachments

• D3619376-92F0-4D47-8220-596D364520E7.jpeg
    D3619376-92F0-4D47-8220-596D364520E7.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 146
  • D8872BC6-50A2-4F6B-8886-AF1610B3F3A1.jpeg
    D8872BC6-50A2-4F6B-8886-AF1610B3F3A1.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 156
I don’t have a belly pod or extended baggage, and I have stock gear so the step thing may not work. Not as worried about drag on the strut as I am about the feds. I reckon it’ll just go in the fishing tube with the tie downs and soft stuff.

I seriously doubt the FAA would care if you had an axe lashed to a strut. No different from snowshoes or rifles, which are allowed.

Here’s what a couple of neighbors have on their gear. They make great steps.

Attachments

• 34DDABC5-0D93-43EB-9F33-98C5936135BB.jpg
    34DDABC5-0D93-43EB-9F33-98C5936135BB.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 0EC9149C-7424-4B43-B2A5-B8A14AC06026.jpg
    0EC9149C-7424-4B43-B2A5-B8A14AC06026.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 128
I'm curious. Can each FSDO, or state, determine what's legal in their jurisdiction? Or do FAR's apply?

How long have you been around Dave? ;) Interpretation of FARs and attitude of the particular FSDO is the determining factor.

I get that, but has any FSDO determination been challenged vs. another FSDO determination? I know of several, when denied by their local FSDO that have gone to
another FSDO. Now, when that someone returns to their state can their local FSDO again deny the approval of the issuing FSDO? Are previous field approvals in question
depending on location? Is there a requirement that FA's be presented to the local FSDO prior to going out of state? Maybe we should work on identifying the sanctuary FSDO's? :rock:

I get that, but has any FSDO determination been challenged vs. another FSDO determination? I know of several, when denied by their local FSDO that have gone to
another FSDO. Now, when that someone returns to their state can their local FSDO again deny the approval of the issuing FSDO? Are previous field approvals in question
depending on location? Is there a requirement that FA's be presented to the local FSDO prior to going out of state? Maybe we should work on identifying the sanctuary FSDO's? :rock:

Yes, I had a field approval done by a FSDO in the state the plane was operated in. Inspector from neighbor state was doing something there and determined that the plane was unairworthy.

The two FSDOs got into a significant tiff, which ultimately was settled by the Region. Field approval was legit all along, but this ding dong said you can’t field approve external antennas……

And, we had “disagreements” between the ANC FSDO and some guy in the Region…..

I had a totally legit field approval signed by a FAI Inspector, which was subsequently rescinded by a new FAI Inspector, and that stuck….loooong story, but true, the second guy screwed up, but Inspectors do not make errors, so it stuck……even though the boss knew he’d screwed up.

I view Flight Standards offices as a local version of the Afghan model: Dozens of local “Tribes” sorta allied with the “National” organization. They all allegedly operate under the same set of rules, but they each interpret those how THEY see fit, without regard to what the guys down the road think.

MTV

Last edited:
Yes, I had a field approval done by a FSDO in the state the plane was operated in. Inspector from neighbor state was doing something there and determined that the plane was unairworthy.

The two FSDOs got into a significant tiff, which ultimately was settled by the Region. Field approval was legit all along, but this ding dong said you can’t field approve external antennas……

And, we had “disagreements” between the ANC FSDO and some guy in the Region…..

I had a totally legit field approval signed by a FAI Inspector, which was subsequently rescinded by a new FAI Inspector, and that stuck….loooong story, but true, the second guy screwed up, but Inspectors do not make errors, so it stuck……even though the boss knew he’d screwed up.

I view Flight Standards offices as a local version of the Afghan model: Dozens of local “Tribes” sorta allied with the “National” organization. They all allegedly operate under the same set of rules, but they each interpret those how THEY see fit, without regard to what the guys down the road think.

MTV

Really the only way they could make you take a Field Approval off an aircraft is to initiate a certificate action against the airplane airworthiness certificate. I’ve challenged any number of inspectors and haven’t lost yet (I’m sure there will be a first time). It all depends on how far you want to push. On more than one occasion an inspector has written a “condition notice” that says operation of this aircraft may be a violation of the regulations. While the inspector was still there I told him I was going to go fly around the patch and when I get back I want either the condition notice gone, or a letter of investigation. Since the letter of investigation requires a LOT of work on the part of the inspector, they have always backed down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really the only way they could make you take a Field Approval off an aircraft is to initiate a certificate action against the airplane airworthiness certificate. I’ve challenged any number of inspectors and haven’t lost yet (I’m sure there will be a first time). It all depends on how far you want to push. On more than one occasion an inspector has written a “condition notice” that says operation of this aircraft may be a violation of the regulations. While the inspector was still there I told him I was going to go fly around the patch and when I get back I want either the condition notice gone, or a letter of investigation. Since the letter of investigation requires a LOT of work on the part of the inspector, they have always backed down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, in one of those cases, the Inspector hung a yellow tag on the plane. I removed it, handed it to him and went flying.

The case where the FA was rescinded, I clearly showed the Inspector why the FA was valid (he accused me of trying to circumvent the STC system, not bothering to discover that my FA pre-dated the date of issuance of the STC. That office argued the plane was unairworthy, and at the time, my employment required a pilot certificate. I talked to the office Chief and he verified.

So, a **** show ensued, wherein the FAA Inspector got even more egg on his face, and ultimately an STC AND another field approval were applied to fix what wasn’t broke. Fortunately the total dent in my wallet was $50 (and there’s yet another story therein,btw).

Thats when I lost a lot of faith in the FSDO system.

MTV

Curious how people mount/store their axe. The struts seem like a good place with rubber grip straps but probably is frowned upon by the feds in the lower 48. I don’t have extended baggage in the -12, but do have a fishing Rod tube and the -14 cathedral brace. 27” axe. Let’s hear what y’all do.
Always ready, easy access !original.jpeg

Sent from my VS988 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• original.jpeg
    original.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 62
Grant Chapman, I presume. The yellow Cub was his until a friend bought it a few months ago. I wouldn't recognize if they were Atlee's or not. I just like the utility so I snapped the pics.

Back