Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Filter Out of Stock

Post Thanks / Like
    To the tractor comment? Compare your engine oil filter to your hydraulics filter. I think it’s more about volume of fluid being filtered than rate of flow. But that’s a presumption. I’m doing a tractor fluid change today. 4 quarts in the engine, 9 gallons in the transmission. With NAPA filters, $300.00 for the stuff, plus two trips to drop off waste oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    With spin-on filters are older style pressure screens usually eliminated?

Gary
    The pressure screen housing is replaced by the filter adapter.
    Thanks BC12D-4-85 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I think it’s more about volume of fluid being filtered than rate of flow. But that’s a presumption.
    For any fixed time period the volume filtered is in direct proportion to the flow rate. Double the flow rate and twice the volume has to be filtered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had two cases of 110’s , Tempest filters arrive from back order with Spruce. Took about two months .I think they were about 160.00 per case , not sure as I don’t do the billing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    With spin-on filters are older style pressure screens usually eliminated?

Gary
    On Lycomings the filter adapter replaces the oil pressure screen housing. On small Continentals people were not removing the pressure screen, installing a filter adapter, not cleaning the screen and having issues with oil delivery when the screen became clogged up with carbon etc. I think the instructions were then modified to eliminate the option of leaving the screen in place.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    The K&N HP-1008 doesn't fit the adapter on the little C engines

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

JP
    Post Thanks / Like
    the HP 2006 does fit it has the 13/16 16 thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Happiness is planning ahead bought 1000 gallons of fuel. A few cases of oil and a years worth of oil filters . Before the shortage.
    Likes DENNY, RaisedByWolves liked this post

JP
    Post Thanks / Like
    1000 gallons is only about 110 hrs of flying for me. I like my fuel fresh even if its avgas. I fly about 300 hrs a yr. the cost of fuel is miniscule compared to alot of other stuff we are getting gouged on. I buy my fuel 100 gallons at a time with a tank in the back of my truck. also have a 100 gallon diesel tank in the truck for my equipment , grader and tractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did get a ship notification on a Tempest 48108-2 today that I'd had on backorder for about a month from spruce. They're still saying September on Champion 48108-1's. Same story at Stoddards and Airframes except they don't have tempests in stock right now either.

Does anyone have an opinion on how critical it is to change the filter within 5 hours of changing from mineral to ashless dispersant on a new engine? Lycoming says to change oil and filter AGAIN within 5 hours of the oil changeover. After taking delivery with 5 hours on Aeroshell 80 mineral I did oil and filter at 10 hours, just oil at 35 hours, oil and filter at 60 hours and swapped to Aeroshell 15w50 at that 60 hour point. I'm up to 10 hours on that last oil and filter since the change to Aeroshell 15w50 (Lycoming IO-360 variant). I guess I should put the new filter on right away as much as I hate to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    I did get a ship notification on a Tempest 48108-2 today that I'd had on backorder for about a month from spruce. They're still saying September on Champion 48108-1's. Same story at Stoddards and Airframes except they don't have tempests in stock right now either.

Does anyone have an opinion on how critical it is to change the filter within 5 hours of changing from mineral to ashless dispersant on a new engine? Lycoming says to change oil and filter AGAIN within 5 hours of the oil changeover. After taking delivery with 5 hours on Aeroshell 80 mineral I did oil and filter at 10 hours, just oil at 35 hours, oil and filter at 60 hours and swapped to Aeroshell 15w50 at that 60 hour point. I'm up to 10 hours on that last oil and filter since the change to Aeroshell 15w50 (Lycoming IO-360 variant). I guess I should put the new filter on right away as much as I hate to do it.
    Why wait so long to change to ashless dispersant? I changed to ashless dispersant 15W/50 with a new filter at the 35 hour change when it was on CubCrafters bill. Oil consumption had stabilized long before that change.

Don't know why the filter would care what oil is being used so interested to hear more about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Late to the party, but I have 5 champ CH48103-1
    avail $40 each plus shipping, prefer you take them all and I’ll pay shipping lower 48
    located in So cal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BFE1BB3-9C76-433B-BA66-2FFE11F277F2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	61735

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Why wait so long to change to ashless dispersant? I changed to ashless dispersant 15W/50 with a new filter at the 35 hour change when it was on CubCrafters bill. Oil consumption had stabilized long before that change.

Don't know why the filter would care what oil is being used so interested to hear more about that.
    Most online guidance and the Tac Aero mechanics said not to be in a rush to switch off mineral oil until about 50 hours as long as I was going to be flying every day. I didn't want to do an oil change during the trip from Oregon to Alaska so I changed the oil right before I departed at 40 hours total tach time, but stayed on mineral oil until reaching the destination at about 60 hours total tach time. Oil consumption was about 1.25qts per 10 hours and CHT were stable at 390 max even running hard at 25"/2500 RPM and that didn't really change much, if at all, between 6 hours at delivery and 60 hours when I swapped to 15W50. I asked the mechanics assisting me with oil changes about changing to 15W50 at the 10 hour point and again at 35 hour point since consumption and CHT was stable. I was advised against it by several mechanics in Oregon that I spoke with who said there would be no harm in staying on mineral oil until closer to the 50 hour point.

The recommendation to change the filter within 5 hours of swapping to ashless dispersant mostly applies to engines that have been run for several hundred hours on Mineral Oil if I read Lycoming service instruction 1014N page 4 correctly. I'm asking here just to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    The recommendation to change the filter within 5 hours of swapping to ashless dispersant mostly applies to engines that have been run for several hundred hours on Mineral Oil if I read Lycoming service instruction 1014N page 4 correctly. I'm asking here just to be sure.
    I think that is because the change to ashless dispersant can free up all the crap (sludge) that has accumulated in the engine rather than being dispersed in the oil. Most of that crap will be caught by the filter so change it before it causes bypass. I doubt it would be a factor on a new engine with only 50-60 hours total time.
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Most online guidance and the Tac Aero mechanics said not to be in a rush to switch off mineral oil until about 50 hours as long as I was going to be flying every day. I didn't want to do an oil change during the trip from Oregon to Alaska so I changed the oil right before I departed at 40 hours total tach time, but stayed on mineral oil until reaching the destination at about 60 hours total tach time. Oil consumption was about 1.25qts per 10 hours and CHT were stable at 390 max even running hard at 25"/2500 RPM and that didn't really change much, if at all, between 6 hours at delivery and 60 hours when I swapped to 15W50. I asked the mechanics assisting me with oil changes about changing to 15W50 at the 10 hour point and again at 35 hour point since consumption and CHT was stable. I was advised against it by several mechanics in Oregon that I spoke with who said there would be no harm in staying on mineral oil until closer to the 50 hour point.

Are you saying that this new airplane’s first oil change was at 40 hours? No oil changes after the first few flights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by G44 View Post
    Are you saying that this new airplane’s first oil change was at 40 hours? No oil changes after the first few flights?
    No I am not saying that!!!! We are talking about the switch from mineral oil to ashless dispersant and whether or not an early oil change is warranted after the switch.

After taking delivery with 5 hours on Aeroshell 80 mineral I did oil and filter at 10 hours, just oil at 35 hours, oil and filter at 60 hours and swapped to Aeroshell 15w50 at that 60 hour point. I'm up to 10 hours on that last oil and filter since the change to Aeroshell 15w50 (Lycoming IO-360 variant). I guess I should put the new filter on right away as much as I hate to do it.
    Thanks G44 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I find the safest way is to follow what the Lycoming service letter said to do, then you are following what the testing at the factory has proven to work. It’s just me getting old but I don’t care to guess at these things anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I’m a little more curious than some. I change oil and filter at 10 hours and again at 25 hours so I can cut the filter and inspect for what’s in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I’m a little more curious than some. I change oil and filter at 10 hours and again at 25 hours so I can cut the filter and inspect for what’s in there.
    That was the schedule used by CubCrafters for my FX-3. Oil also sent for analysis.

For the oil changes I did after I got it home I opened the filter, flushed it, filtered the flush, weighed the contaminants and viewed under a x10 microscope. It was at that point that I realized how poorly Lycoming Service Bulletin No. 480F is written.

I did get a baseline for comparing the results of future obsessive behavior.

The other engine I maintain (O-360) has an oil change about once a year and the oil filter usually goes in the trash. I did open the last one though to see how a 3,000 hour Lycoming looks compared to a 200 hour Lycoming. There was a difference but nothing that scared me or stopped me flying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    I did open the last one though to see how a 3,000 hour Lycoming looks compared to a 200 hour Lycoming. There was a difference but nothing that scared me or stopped me flying it.
    Sometimes these things get a bit too excessive compulsive. There isn't a one rule fits all answer. Much depends on the environment in which the engine is operated and how it is stored.
    N1PA
    Likes 40m, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a snapshot of my Lycoming manual. No requirement for a 10 hour change but given how dirty the oil gets after those first hours? Everyone I know does the same. Oil seems cheap to a guy who just bought a new engine.

I can’t find any advice for once a year changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1AD2BDB8-0E0C-4FDC-BF0A-EAB8CB1582E7.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	236.4 KB 
ID:	61740  

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t find any advice for once a year changes.
    It's typical for car engines but not approved by Lycoming. Hard to argue with over 3,000 SMOH though. When cylinder 3 was pulled at about 2,800 hours the rear 3 cam lobes and lifters looked like new.

New engine is flown more and oil changed more frequently. I don't expect to be flying long enough to see that engine reach 3,000 hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received a half-dozen Tempest AA48108-2's that I ordered 3+ months ago. If anyone is in a bind for a filter, I'll share for cost.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    the HP 2006 does fit it has the 13/16 16 thread
    Nope, didn't fit, hole too big, mine is 3/4x16

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 07-24-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Found this

Name:	Screenshot_20220724-120217.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	61841

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	Screenshot_20220724-140910.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	61842

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve still got two Champions on the shelf, but I got curious this afternoon. The K&Ns were $15 each. All of them nominally 3/4”-16 thread and said to be made in USA. The Champion is heavier, feels and looks better constructed. Might cut open one of the K&Ns when I run out of other things to do.

K&N HP-2004: weight 456g, height 4.12”
    Champion 48108-1: weight 632g, height 4.62”
    K&N HP-3001: weight 568g, height 5.8”

K&N HP-3001:

Champion 41808-1:

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand when I've seen that (some) aviation filters have a "bypass feature".
    How does that work?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oil will bypass the filter media in case the media becomes clogged or oil is to thick to flow through it properly. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    48108 filters have a bypass. 48110 filters rely on the bypass being in the filter adapter. My 180 used 48110s for years until one annual it was returned with a 48108 and an invoice for the adapter conversion. I recall seeing a service instruction about it.

The bypass filters have a spring in the top to hold the filter cone in place. I presume if there's a restriction the spring compresses and the oil flow passes under the filter media.

https://support.cessna.com/custsupt/...df?as_id=44239
    Last edited by stewartb; 07-25-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    I don't understand when I've seen that (some) aviation filters have a "bypass feature".
    How does that work?
    All filters have to allow bypass if blocked but it is my understanding that some engines have internal bypass while others rely on bypass in the filter itself. If the engine has internal bypass the specified filter won't (or may not) include a bypass valve.

Ref - https://www.lycoming.com/content/understanding-oil-flow

"The oil filter is another part of the system where blockage could cause serious problems. For this reason, an oil filter bypass is built into the oil filter adapter, or in the case of engines utilizing a dual magneto, into the accessory housing. These bypass valves are built-in safety features which activate as a result of excessive pressure in the oil filter. The oil filter bypass is not adjustable."

Edit to add - I see Stewart posted while I was composing. We agree so not changing my post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just talked to Tempest and there is a letter on their website where the FAA approved replacing AA48109 filter for the AA48108. Only difference is the AA48109 is longer.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Thanks sjohnson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Just talked to Tempest and there is a letter on their website where the FAA approved replacing AA48109 filter for the AA48108. Only difference is the AA48109 is longer.
    Do you know if the longer filter will fit under the cowl with a B&C filter adapter on an O-320?
    There are three simple rules for making consistently smooth landings. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not. Not near my airplane.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't think this longer filter won't work in either application I have, for sure not in the super cub, but if it frees up the smaller ones....

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks sjohnson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    K&N HP-2004 works fine on my C85. Came ready to safety wire

Glenn
    Likes topwater1956 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I see some talking about the K&N HP1008 Filter. Mine has the Champion ch48108-1 on it now. Can't get one so i went and got the K&N HP1008 but it fits the threads a little loose. I took my filter adapter off and went back to the auto parts and started trying filters. The K&N HP2004 was exactly the same size and fit as my Champion ch48108-1. I cut the Champion open and K&N has a exploded view of theirs and i see no difference at all. Truth known K&N makes the Champion filter. The specs show the Champion to have a 13/16 thread but its not. Its a 3/4 thread. Got on the computer and looking at the specs and the K&N has a 500lb burst limit, and both filters have a internal bypass plus it was 1/3 the price. My SC is experimental and this will be the filter i will be using from now own. I don't know why the aviation industry wants to gouge people so bad. No reason for a oil filter to be 50+ dollars and a world wide shortage. The shortage is the best way to drive up cost. Now i'm having the same issue with brake disc. Up about $30 from last year and out of stock.
    Last edited by topwater1956; 09-21-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    Terry Tanner

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of those K&N filters use M20x1.5 pitch metric threads. Champion and Tempest use 3/4”x16 UNF threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of those K&N filters use M20x1.5 pitch metric threads. Champion and Tempest use 3/4”x16 UNF threads.
    The K&N HP2004 Specs are 3/4 x 16 UNF and fit my filter adapter perfect
    Terry Tanner
    Likes frequent_flyer liked this post