• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Filter Out of Stock

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
I need a Champion CH48108-1 which I saw Steve Pierce say is the same as a Tempest AA48108-2.

My mechanic told me he can't get one until sometime in August. Is this the supply chain stuff?

Anyways- I did some looking online and couldn't find any stock.

Anyone know where I can buy one?

Newb here. Didn't realize I needed to stock this stuff. Maybe I should be loading up on oil too.

I need a Champion CH48108-1 which I saw Steve Pierce say is the same as a Tempest AA48108-2.

My mechanic told me he can't get one until sometime in August. Is this the supply chain stuff?

Newb here. Didn't realize I needed to stock this stuff. Maybe I should be loading up on oil too.

Yes, always have a case of oil and at least one filter in stock. Oil is expensive to ship but free shipping at Aircraft Spruce if you spend enough.

Spruce expects to have that Tempest filter in stock soon. Order by phone and request they ship from first available stock. If you don't do that they may place the order with a warehouse with no stock.

Attachments

• tempest.PNG
    tempest.PNG
    71.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I see the tempest filter available on ebay for stupid $. I have been using K&N HP-1008 filters for years. Should be able to get them at just about any NAPA.

I bought a CH48109-1 but i payed 75.00 Canadian for it was to long for the aircraft i picked it up for someone else

Two weeks ago I finally got a pair of Champ CH48109-1s for my Extra that I had ordered from Spruce in the middle of November!

I have 5- 48108s on my shelf and 2 on order. Just gave 2- 48110s away after having them for probably 10 years. Watch for Tempest 48108-2s and Champion 48108-1s. The dash number matters in your search but they’re totally interchangeable. Buy what you can get. Buy two and reorder when you use one.

Put a hose clamp around it and safety to that. Or live crazy dangerously and don’t safety it- can’t tell you how many I’ve pulled off that were dangling by the safety wire; and the one on my truck falls off all the time...

How are you safety wiring the K&N filter?

See above. How many have you ever seen fall off a vehicle of any type. That said, if you want to drill the nut on top like the tempest etc it will probable take a solid 30 seconds off your life span to do so.

Put a hose clamp around it and safety to that. Or live crazy dangerously and don’t safety it- can’t tell you how many I’ve pulled off that were dangling by the safety wire; and the one on my truck falls off all the time...

Not a filter but recently saw a 185 that the safety wire was the only thing holding the adapter on. Holy cow it made a mess in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd guy out, as usual. I have never seen a filter back itself out. I have special wrenches to get at the Mooney filter. My Mustangs have been around for almost six decades, and it always takes a special strap to get them to move.
That said, safety wire is cheap.

Thanks for the info. If the 1" nut is spot welded to the filter housing I'm wondering if it can be drilled for safety wire without causing a leak.

for the naysayers why dont you look at the KN HP 1008 if you did you would see that it is already setup made for safety wire, the nut is drilled on top already, As avid flyer says we have used these for several thousand of hours and never had a failure or issue.

for the naysayers why dont you look at the KN HP 1008 if you did you would see that it is already setup made for safety wire, the nut is drilled on top already, As avid flyer says we have used these for several thousand of hours and never had a failure or issue.

They used to be drilled. The last 2 I bought were not drilled but that takes a solid 30 seconds to do. I haven't done it in years.

Thanks for the info. If the 1" nut is spot welded to the filter housing I'm wondering if it can be drilled for safety wire without causing a leak.

It is formed sheet metal just like all the other filters and not a solid "nut". Yes, as stated above, you can drill it if you feel the desire to.

FandF, buying USA made is at the top of my list, but not a price point 4 or 5 times more than the K&N.

Outside of here I've never heard of anyone using automotive oil filters. I've never found the $30-ish price of aviation filters to be excessive given what everything else on my planes costs, like the $50K engine. And that's from when they were cheap!

Serious question. What's the FAA's position on using automotive filters? What would a pro mechanic say if he was doing an annual on my 180 and I handed him a K&N or another automotive brand equivalent? I'm guessing he'd say no effing way. Heck, that's what MCS Mike said about putting one on the Wildcat.

PS- my Champion filters have made in America on them.

Last edited:
$321 Expensive, but you'll never need to buy another one. When you trade your plane, keep it and replace it with a throwaway.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/challengerLifetime.phpView attachment 61664

Ordered one when i was in tx this winter when you couldn't get filters. Just did an oil change, it works slick. Has a magnet inside. Ordered a couple spare gaskets and a spare element. It also wasn't full of oil, but i did drain it over a week

And, would the insurance company decide not to pay a claim because they discovered an unapproved part, even though it was not the cause of an accident?

I like how threads like this force me to examine my own opinions and why I have them. I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed. That led me to search from the FAA approval perspective since Champion and Tempest both show FAA-PMA on their filters and in their documentation. That led me to this article. Interesting read. Superficial, at best, but it provides some understanding of why we use the big two.

FWIW, while not referenced here at all, Tempest filters no longer have magnets in them.

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/uncategorized/the-right-oil-filter/

I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed.

Does Lycoming mandate the use of any filter at all on any of their engines? The Lycoming oil screen does not filter to 20 or 30 microns. The oil screen holes are huge compared to any reasonable quality filter. The only associated Lycoming recommendation that I'm aware of is shorter oil change intervals (25 hours with no filter, 50 hours with filter).

Our B&C oil filter adapter specifically states only Champion filters on both the housing and paperwork.

I like how threads like this force me to examine my own opinions and why I have them. I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed. That led me to search from the FAA approval perspective since Champion and Tempest both show FAA-PMA on their filters and in their documentation. That led me to this article. Interesting read. Superficial, at best, but it provides some understanding of why we use the big two.

FWIW, while not referenced here at all, Tempest filters no longer have magnets in them.

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/uncategorized/the-right-oil-filter/

The crank case vac system you have is automotive derived.. Prior to bushwheels we used racing slicks. The oil filters are used on engines that get A LOT more hours and miles put on them than our aircraft engines. We all are entitled to our opinions, but to say that anything automotive doesn't belong on a plane is ludicrous at best. Trim cranks. door handles and various other parts of the planes we fly came from the factory with these "automotive" parts on them. Panels are filled with experimental electronics.. yet a time tested and proven manufacturer of oil filters is a no go?

Not everyone is beholden to an insurance company either.

Back