Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Out of Stock

Post Thanks / Like

Oil Filter Out of Stock

I need a Champion CH48108-1 which I saw Steve Pierce say is the same as a Tempest AA48108-2.

My mechanic told me he can't get one until sometime in August. Is this the supply chain stuff?

Anyways- I did some looking online and couldn't find any stock.

Anyone know where I can buy one?

Newb here. Didn't realize I needed to stock this stuff. Maybe I should be loading up on oil too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
    I need a Champion CH48108-1 which I saw Steve Pierce say is the same as a Tempest AA48108-2.

My mechanic told me he can't get one until sometime in August. Is this the supply chain stuff?

Newb here. Didn't realize I needed to stock this stuff. Maybe I should be loading up on oil too.
    Yes, always have a case of oil and at least one filter in stock. Oil is expensive to ship but free shipping at Aircraft Spruce if you spend enough.

Spruce expects to have that Tempest filter in stock soon. Order by phone and request they ship from first available stock. If you don't do that they may place the order with a warehouse with no stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tempest.PNG 
Views:	103 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	61623  
    Last edited by frequent_flyer; 07-06-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: add order info

Post Thanks / Like
    I see the tempest filter available on ebay for stupid $. I have been using K&N HP-1008 filters for years. Should be able to get them at just about any NAPA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post

I bought a CH48109-1 but i payed 75.00 Canadian for it was to long for the aircraft i picked it up for someone else

Post Thanks / Like
    Two weeks ago I finally got a pair of Champ CH48109-1s for my Extra that I had ordered from Spruce in the middle of November!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 5- 48108s on my shelf and 2 on order. Just gave 2- 48110s away after having them for probably 10 years. Watch for Tempest 48108-2s and Champion 48108-1s. The dash number matters in your search but they’re totally interchangeable. Buy what you can get. Buy two and reorder when you use one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pm me if you’re in a bind and I’ll send you one.

Post Thanks / Like
    When engine manufacturers add TBO to canned filter engines.......

Gary
    Likes soyAnarchisto liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered 2 ea. K&N HP-1008 oil filters from Amazon.com. $15.99 each

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my oil supplier - great prices free shipping, no affiliation just satisfied customer

https://aviationoiloutlet.com/philli...50-engine-oil/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akavidflyer View Post
    I see the tempest filter available on ebay for stupid $. I have been using K&N HP-1008 filters for years. Should be able to get them at just about any NAPA.
    How are you safety wiring the K&N filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a hose clamp around it and safety to that. Or live crazy dangerously and don’t safety it- can’t tell you how many I’ve pulled off that were dangling by the safety wire; and the one on my truck falls off all the time...
    Likes akavidflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vmc View Post
    How are you safety wiring the K&N filter?
    See above. How many have you ever seen fall off a vehicle of any type. That said, if you want to drill the nut on top like the tempest etc it will probable take a solid 30 seconds off your life span to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ak49flyer View Post
    Put a hose clamp around it and safety to that. Or live crazy dangerously and don’t safety it- can’t tell you how many I’ve pulled off that were dangling by the safety wire; and the one on my truck falls off all the time...
    Not a filter but recently saw a 185 that the safety wire was the only thing holding the adapter on. Holy cow it made a mess in flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes EdH liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd guy out, as usual. I have never seen a filter back itself out. I have special wrenches to get at the Mooney filter. My Mustangs have been around for almost six decades, and it always takes a special strap to get them to move.
    That said, safety wire is cheap.
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. If the 1" nut is spot welded to the filter housing I'm wondering if it can be drilled for safety wire without causing a leak.

JP
    Post Thanks / Like
    for the naysayers why dont you look at the KN HP 1008 if you did you would see that it is already setup made for safety wire, the nut is drilled on top already, As avid flyer says we have used these for several thousand of hours and never had a failure or issue.
    Likes Vmc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Far as I can tell Champion is made in Brazil,k&n in China and Tempest in the USA. Everyone should always buy the Tempest.
    Likes mixer, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    for the naysayers why dont you look at the KN HP 1008 if you did you would see that it is already setup made for safety wire, the nut is drilled on top already, As avid flyer says we have used these for several thousand of hours and never had a failure or issue.
    They used to be drilled. The last 2 I bought were not drilled but that takes a solid 30 seconds to do. I haven't done it in years.
    Likes Vmc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vmc View Post
    Thanks for the info. If the 1" nut is spot welded to the filter housing I'm wondering if it can be drilled for safety wire without causing a leak.
    It is formed sheet metal just like all the other filters and not a solid "nut". Yes, as stated above, you can drill it if you feel the desire to.

FandF, buying USA made is at the top of my list, but not a price point 4 or 5 times more than the K&N.
    Thanks hangarmonkey thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Formandfunction View Post
    Far as I can tell Champion is made in Brazil,k&n in China and Tempest in the USA. Everyone should always buy the Tempest.
    Even people in Brazil and China?
    Likes 1934A, Cardiff Kook liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    $321 Expensive, but you'll never need to buy another one. When you trade your plane, keep it and replace it with a throwaway.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...erLifetime.phpName:  CP48110.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  9.5 KB
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of here I've never heard of anyone using automotive oil filters. I've never found the $30-ish price of aviation filters to be excessive given what everything else on my planes costs, like the $50K engine. And that's from when they were cheap!

Serious question. What's the FAA's position on using automotive filters? What would a pro mechanic say if he was doing an annual on my 180 and I handed him a K&N or another automotive brand equivalent? I'm guessing he'd say no effing way. Heck, that's what MCS Mike said about putting one on the Wildcat.

PS- my Champion filters have made in America on them.
    Last edited by stewartb; 07-08-2022 at 11:39 AM.
    Likes Dave Calkins, Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    $321 Expensive, but you'll never need to buy another one. When you trade your plane, keep it and replace it with a throwaway.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...erLifetime.phpName:  CP48110.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  9.5 KB

Ordered one when i was in tx this winter when you couldn't get filters. Just did an oil change, it works slick. Has a magnet inside. Ordered a couple spare gaskets and a spare element. It also wasn't full of oil, but i did drain it over a week

Post Thanks / Like
    And, would the insurance company decide not to pay a claim because they discovered an unapproved part, even though it was not the cause of an accident?

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how threads like this force me to examine my own opinions and why I have them. I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed. That led me to search from the FAA approval perspective since Champion and Tempest both show FAA-PMA on their filters and in their documentation. That led me to this article. Interesting read. Superficial, at best, but it provides some understanding of why we use the big two.

FWIW, while not referenced here at all, Tempest filters no longer have magnets in them.

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/unc...ht-oil-filter/
    Likes Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed.

Does Lycoming mandate the use of any filter at all on any of their engines? The Lycoming oil screen does not filter to 20 or 30 microns. The oil screen holes are huge compared to any reasonable quality filter. The only associated Lycoming recommendation that I'm aware of is shorter oil change intervals (25 hours with no filter, 50 hours with filter).

Post Thanks / Like

PS- my Champion filters have made in America on them.
    The older ones in my shop say the same thing but the new ones come with brazil origin. Atleast the last two I bought.
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Our B&C oil filter adapter specifically states only Champion filters on both the housing and paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like how threads like this force me to examine my own opinions and why I have them. I can't find any mention of any oil filter standard in my Lycoming manuals although spin-on filters are discussed. That led me to search from the FAA approval perspective since Champion and Tempest both show FAA-PMA on their filters and in their documentation. That led me to this article. Interesting read. Superficial, at best, but it provides some understanding of why we use the big two.

FWIW, while not referenced here at all, Tempest filters no longer have magnets in them.

https://www.aviationconsumer.com/unc...ht-oil-filter/

The crank case vac system you have is automotive derived.. Prior to bushwheels we used racing slicks. The oil filters are used on engines that get A LOT more hours and miles put on them than our aircraft engines. We all are entitled to our opinions, but to say that anything automotive doesn't belong on a plane is ludicrous at best. Trim cranks. door handles and various other parts of the planes we fly came from the factory with these "automotive" parts on them. Panels are filled with experimental electronics.. yet a time tested and proven manufacturer of oil filters is a no go?

Not everyone is beholden to an insurance company either.
    Likes DENNY, RaisedByWolves, Dave Sherwood, 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no bones with what other guys use and I never said auto stuff doesn't belong on a plane. I keep 48108s on the shelf for my Cessna so it's simple to use the same on the Cub. I also use auto plugs in the Cub. I wish I could do that with the Cessna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingde View Post
    Our B&C oil filter adapter specifically states only Champion filters on both the housing and paperwork.
    Same in the paperwork that came with my adapter, but I noticed that the latest version of installation instructions dropped the text explicitly requiring Champion. Maybe this was to allow Tempest?
    There are three simple rules for making consistently smooth landings. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Ordered one when i was in tx this winter when you couldn't get filters. Just did an oil change, it works slick. Has a magnet inside. Ordered a couple spare gaskets and a spare element. It also wasn't full of oil, but i did drain it over a week
    A customer of mine runs a fleet of banner tow airplanes and just started installing these recently. He really likes them and they are generally changing the oil every 7-10 days.

—Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Proud owner of a collection of airplane pieces (sometimes in one big piece) known as the Oklahoma Kid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had tempest 41808-2's and champion 48108-1's on backorder from aircraft spruce for a month now with no shipping date in sight. Every time I check their website the "expected ship date" just gets pushed back a week or two later than the last time I checked. I only ordered 2 champions and 1 tempest, so I'm not trying to hoard. I've started backorders with a few other websites just in case someone gets one in.

Luckily I only have 10 hours on my current filter and the airplane has been down for a nagging maintenance problem for a week, because I don't think any retail store in Alaska has one of those filters on the shelves. I wonder what would be worse? Going to 75+ hours on a champion or changing it to a new K&N?
    Last edited by Narwhal; 07-09-2022 at 02:11 AM.
    Likes Dave Sherwood liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    These do work. They leave a little strip of a "sludge" like material on the inside of the filter shell under the magnet. Just like this picture.
    N1PA
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

JP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Any of you fellow Alaskans need an oil filter asap I have 2 - tempest 48108-2. I'll be home July 12th for 2 weeks, fly-in to AA16 treasure chest airpark , and pick one up, replace it when ever we get more in the country. I will also have 4 of the K&N HP-1008 filters.

JP
    907-394-3579
    Thanks G44 thanked for this post
    Likes stewartb, Narwhal, G44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The K&N 1008 is a tiny filter. Does the filter size make a difference in flow? Why are filters sized differently? Big filters in trucks.......tiny filters in my little Kubota.
    "Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdrvr View Post
    Does the filter size make a difference in flow? Why are filters sized differently?
    I doubt the size make a significant difference to flow when both new but the flow resistance of the smaller filter will increase more quickly for the same passed volume of equally contaminated oil. If filter is not changed the smaller one will result in filter bypass earlier than the larger one.

Big engines tend to have bigger filters than small engines because the oil flow is greater. Not a universal rule though and sometimes perhaps cost and "what size fits" are factors.

Filter can size may not always be a good guide to active filter area.

Post Thanks / Like
    With spin-on filters are older style pressure screens usually eliminated?

Gary