• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

40x40 hanger value.

jmann04

Creede Co.
I have the opportunity to purchase a hanger wish it was bigger. Just wondering about what the value of a 40x40ft Hanger with 38 ft Schweiss door and non insulated 14 ft height? in Colorado.

Location, location, location.
Similar size w/Schweiss no insulation 42X34 stick built in KYKN at 40-45K.

Jmann, stick a fork in that before it gets away: Big demand in the region, meager resources. My biased opinion only.

Thanks. cubscout

In the big city it would be $100-300 grand. We had a T hangar (big Port-A-Port) sell for $75K a while back - might have been overpriced, but some folk really need a hangar and have the bucks.

Well, start with this: how many $150,000 planes get $60,000 in damage or more because they are outside and a storm tears them up?

17 yards of concrete and prep is worth lots.

Building materials are worth lots more today.

Steel for that size is probably 20k now, wood who know.

Around here you pay what the owner asks, or you get stuck outside.

Once you are inside, you will realize that the price is worth it, what ever it is.

I was somewhat stunned to figure up a simple carport roof at my crane yard, tied onto the existing building, so just some 12' 2x6's, OSB, and the galvanized tin. 4' sidewalls on two sides. I guesstimated 3 maybe 5 hundred, knowing costs have gone up some. $1000.00.

Kinda small but maybe a good place holder to allow you to wait for the perfect hangar to come along after real estate prices drop. The question is how this one will fare in the coming years’ price correction. Your crystal ball is as good as anyone’s.

It's all about the local market. Here in Pagosa (just over the hill) that hangar would bring $80 to $100K.

Over in Durango maybe double that.

I'm assuming its a pole-built hangar? If so, you'd be looking at close to 50k to build the same building at the current prices. Not knowing anything about the demand for hangars in your area makes it hard to put a value on it, but just like anything else, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. How often do hangars hit the market in your area? I think hangars are a pretty good investment, and i doubt you'd lose money on it if you decided to sell in a few years.

Thanks for all the reply's. It is a Steel frame building and well built and very nice just small.
Question can 2 cubs fit in a 40x40?

Thanks for all the reply's. It is a Steel frame building and well built and very nice just small.
Make two cutout top views. Draw a same scale hangar. Practice moving around the cutouts.

iu
They may fit.

Make two cutout top views. Draw a same scale hangar. Practice moving around the cutouts.

May need to know the exact dimensions of the two Cubs.

I tried with 2 FX-3, one nose in, the other tail in, with each tail between the stab and wing of the other plane. Rough measurements showed the combo was 3 inches over on length and 5 inch over on combined span. FX-3 half span is 205.7 inch. Some Cubs may be smaller but probably tight with high risk of "hangar rash".

As a reference, my hangar is 50’ wide and 40’ deep. Two planes will just barely fit. Stinson and NorthStar. I don’t think they would without the extra width.

Last edited:
No on the 2 cubs. Mine is 50X40 as well. Option we've done in the past is stack 'em tail high with the nose on the floor........not good for regular usage.

With a little ingenuity one could position a lift attached to the tail wheel in one of the back corners. Of course you must have enough available height space.

iu

2 cubs won't fit, but any toys your wife doesn't know about would fit nicely (Harley, sports car, etc...) along with your cub!
I dread the day when my wife finds out that I'm really not storing (hiding) all my friend Brad's toys.....

My hangar is 44x36' 40' opening. If I tucked a tail in the corner I could fit my Champ and Pa11 inside. I switched them around every month so they both got exercise. If I jacked up the closest wheel 3" I could get the front plane back another 4' letting the wingtips overlap

Glenn

It cost me over $40K to build my stick built 50x50 with 25 yds of concrete (monolithic slab) and 24” truss spacing with a 42’ ultimate door (homemade door)….and I did all of the work myself…even concrete. I am insulated and have electrical….just saying…material prices are wayyy more expensive than 2019… so keep all that in mind. Mine would be $60k or more easily today vs 2019/2020. And remember, I did all of the labor.

Not relevant to go on a national forum and ask "what's it worth".. Prices vary based on location.. the only way to know what it's worth is to survey the locals..

My Hangar, about the same size.. is worth between $40K and $140K depending where it was in a 50 mile radius...

Back