• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing Replacement

Vermont
After a double dose of bad luck last week which started with an engine failure I am looking at having to replace at least one wing if not two. What is everyones experience with purchasing replacement wings? Best source? Appreciate the help as both the -18 and I need some mending.

Certified-Dakota Cub
Experamental-Javeron

Both offer various combinations of square/round tip, flap length ard fuel tank capacity.

What was the condition of your wings prior to last week?
age, time since recovered..

The condition now?
picture?

There’s lots of expensive hardware in the wings.
Bent ribs, spars, sheet metal can be replaced and wings rebuilt for a fraction of cost of new wings/shipping etc..

Are you able to rebuild them yourself?

Certified-Dakota Cub
Experamental-Javeron

Both offer various combinations of square/round tip, flap length ard fuel tank capacity.

I was pursuing the dakota cub site today and saw they had those different combinations. Definitely struck my interest.

What was the condition of your wings prior to last week?
age, time since recovered..

The condition now?
picture?

There’s lots of expensive hardware in the wings.
Bent ribs, spars, sheet metal can be replaced and wings rebuilt for a fraction of cost of new wings/shipping etc..

Are you able to rebuild them yourself?

Before the accident it was in decent shape. About 7 years from last full restoration. I will try and find some pictures to post. Once my broken back is healed i would be doing the work i between catching up on paying work in the shop.

We had a totally demolished J3 wing with PA-12 tank. Our options - new Dakota wing eight grand, new Dakota wing covered 16 grand, or have Bob fix it. The delay times are what drove the decision - with two new Dakota spars, five ribs, a few pieces of leading and trailing edge aluminum, and for $800 plus shipping I was done before the delivery date for a complete wing.
Good thing, because the crank was bad too, and the insurer was really close to totalling it when they discovered the crank.

Rebuilding is not that difficult. I recommend pre-tapping all holes that get the #4 sheet metal screws. I used Visegrips and a #4x4 screw, but there has to be a better way.

We had a totally demolished J3 wing with PA-12 tank. Our options - new Dakota wing eight grand, new Dakota wing covered 16 grand, or have Bob fix it. The delay times are what drove the decision - with two new Dakota spars, five ribs, a few pieces of leading and trailing edge aluminum, and for $800 plus shipping I was done before the delivery date for a complete wing.
Good thing, because the crank was bad too, and the insurer was really close to totalling it when they discovered the crank.

Rebuilding is not that difficult. I recommend pre-tapping all holes that get the #4 sheet metal screws. I used Visegrips and a #4x4 screw, but there has to be a better way.

Once I am back to the shop I will have to take a closer inspection of the damaged wing and take a complete list of all the parts needed. Not sure what the current lead time is on a wing from Dakota. Plan on calling tomorrow when I get a chance.

I don’t mean to be a “Debbie Downer”, but you will need to take a real hard look at the birdcage structure and make sure that it did not get bent or damaged. Pretty tough to damage the wings without twisting up the birdcage.

Best of luck

Bill

I don’t mean to be a “Debbie Downer”, but you will need to take a real hard look at the birdcage structure and make sure that it did not get bent or damaged. Pretty tough to damage the wings without twisting up the birdcage.

Best of luck

Bill

Depending on how things go, It will need a fair amount of structure frame repairs or maybe just a new fuselage.

After a double dose of bad luck last week which started with an engine failure I am looking at having to replace at least one wing if not two. What is everyones experience with purchasing replacement wings? Best source? Appreciate the help as both the -18 and I need some mending.
I have a set of home built wings

If you lived in Alaska my recommendation would be to take your wings to one of the local cub builders. The guys who are experienced are amazingly fast at tearing down and reassembling wings. If you don’t have someone close by and don’t want to travel to drop off somewhere then I would encourage you to do it yourself. If your mechanically inclined and have an IA that will work with you, buy the parts you need to replace and have an awesome learning experience. I’m not an A&P and this is want i did a couple years ago except it was a full restoration. I used Dakota ribs and skins and was very happy with the quality. If you buy just the parts you need it will be many thousands cheaper. The catch of course is be prepared to dedicate time. As an example of myself, my second wing took me one week including weekend to assemble from striped down and all prep complete. It then took me 8 days to fabric the wing up to the point where i was ready to start spraying, then i spent two weeks spraying (Poly Fiber Aerothane). so about a month on the last wing I did. these times don’t include the steel parts I sand blasted, primed and top coated, including removing the hing parts from the ailerons and flaps. So it can be a time consuming project. Don’t forget about Univair. They are more expensive but in my experience, good quality. I have started another wing build for another cub and just recently received new ribs, skins bow tips ect all from Univair. The lead time was simply shorter with the Univair option.

George, I used Dakota unassembled wing kits for my rebuild and was very happy with the quality. Shipping is reasonable with the kit but of course you have some assembly to do. They seem to have more options than their website shows so give them a call. Glad you survived that!

George, I used Dakota unassembled wing kits for my rebuild and was very happy with the quality. Shipping is reasonable with the kit but of course you have some assembly to do. They seem to have more options than their website shows so give them a call. Glad you survived that!

Thanks, I am glad I made it too. A good double dose of bad luck on my end. From everyones responses seems that Dakota is the best. They are on my list to call today and inquire about build kits.

Back