• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil leak- what is this on 0290d2?

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
What is this covering on my 0-290d2? I think I have an oil leak coming from there. Wherever the leak is coming from it appears to intensify when the plane is on.

7080021c2aecbc19f0d54362994ff256.jpg

On the 320's if i remember right should be the prop governor, there should be a gasket under there. Probably old and brittle

Vacuum pump pad ???........ As Tom suggested, likely just a bad gasket?
E

Last edited:
What they said. Easy job to replace the gasket. I would do it sooner than latter, mine went and pumped out 6 quarts in about 3 min. DENNY

When you take that cover off check it for flatness. If the previous owner over-torqued the bolts the flange corners will be bent and a new gasket won’t solve anything. You’ll need to flatten it and then add a new gasket.

A sheet of sandpaper applied to a piece of glass with aerosol adhesive will allow you to lap it flat. Maybe other guys have other techniques.

Vacuum pump pad ........ As Tom says likely just a bad gasket?
E
That's where the two position control valve for the Sensenich C-2FM two position prop goes. The oil to the prop is connected where that allen plug is located. The vacuum pump drive is on the upper left of the case.

That was a nice prop which was AD noted out of existence.

Where can i find the part number and order?

Im new to all this but i my mechanic is super backed up so if i want this done i probably need to start being more proactive.

Ask around. Lots of guys will have one or two on a shelf after getting a new engine and bolting on alternators and prop governors. I gave one away not long ago. I may have another. I’ll look.

Ask around. Lots of guys will have one or two on a shelf after getting a new engine and bolting on alternators and prop governors. I gave one away not long ago. I may have another. I’ll look.

Thank you for it too,, it is on my Cub.

Im not sure what i would even ask for?? Whats it called? Ha.

Would they need to have an 0290D2? Or is rhe sam on an 0320? I am full newb on this stuff.

Where can i find the part number and order?

It's often a lot easier to make a replacement gasket out of suitable gasket stock. Simply lay the gasket paper on the part and tap round the edges and holes with a light ball peen hammer. I have made quite a few that way including quite intricate carb gaskets. You do what you have to if the part is not available.

You may also find that good quality sealants do better than the paper gaskets originally fitted. If you do that make sure the gasket thickness is not critical to the assembly. It's not likely to be for this simple cover application.

Seals fuel fittings, not accessory cover plates!

Kardiff, go to O’Reillys or your local equal and buy some gasket material. Use your old gasket to trace the shape and cut it with an Xacto or utility knife. Don’t worry about perfect, just seal the flange. Easy peasy. If it leaks again? I’ll send you a new cover plate, but odds are you don’t need it. Don’t be afraid of being a newbie. You’ve got this.

If the joint needs to be moved after assembly it seems obvious that one would not use a hardening sealant on both sides of the gasket. Magnetos need to move for timing. Cover plates don't need to be rotated. If you want to be able to remove something, like a rocker cover, without changing the gasket every time then bond one side and grease the other.

I would definitely use a gasket and not just some type of sealant!! Take the time to get the right part!!!! DENNY

That's where the two position control valve for the Sensenich C-2FM two position prop goes. The oil to the prop is connected where that allen plug is located. The vacuum pump drive is on the upper left of the case.

That was a nice prop which was AD noted out of existence.

As usual, Pete is right. I did not find it in the O-290 book but look in the O-320 book (PC-103). Figure 2-7, items 9 and 10.

Web

Gaskets get compressed and stressed by heat cycles especially with petroleum present. New and proper is best. But, after 57 yrs of dealing with that vs available parts in Alaska some of us learned to fix things when new simply wasn't available. It's hard to loose old habits and become a parts changer.

Gary

I have made plenty of gaskets in my lifetime but for an airplane engine I would buy the gasket from Aircraft Spruce or the like. A thin coat of EZ Turn works very well on gaskets to help seal and make them easier to get off when the time comes. I use it on mag and oil screen gaskets all the time.

Cool. P/N 69551 GASKET, Accessory pad cover. I'm learning! Thanks.

When this gets replaced is the oil going to have to be dropped?

Should I use this opportunity to replace other gaskets that may or may not be leaking?

If I'm placing an aircraft spruce order for a $1.95/part- anything else I should order to just have on hand as well?

Thanks all!

No. All the oil is contained in the sump which is that large casting below the crankcase. The one the carburetor is bolted to and the intake tubes come out of the side of.

Makes sense. I guess that is true of any piston engine. The sump always holds 99% of the oil when off/sitting. Embarrassingly, I Never really thought about it.

I have made plenty of gaskets in my lifetime but for an airplane engine I would buy the gasket from Aircraft Spruce or the like. A thin coat of EZ Turn works very well on gaskets to help seal and make them easier to get off when the time comes. I use it on mag and oil screen gaskets all the time.

What he said............

The sump always holds 99% of the oil when off/sitting.

Quite a lot less than 99% in the sump if the engine has a filter. On my O-360 and IO-360 I add 7 qt at oil change and maintain the dipstick at about 5 qt for local flying. Lycomings piss oil out the breather if run with high oil levels.

One way to learn about fits is to remove all gasket and foreign material from the mating surfaces, then apply a very thin coating of commercial Prussian Blue to one. Refasten then separate to look for any lack of transfer of that dye's color. That can indicate part warpage that makes a gasket's job tougher. Lap the surfaces as suggested above to reflatten if a problem.

Gary

Attachments

• Permatex-80038-Prussian-Blue-Fitting-Compound-1.png
    Permatex-80038-Prussian-Blue-Fitting-Compound-1.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 53
Cool. P/N 69551 GASKET, Accessory pad cover. I'm learning! Thanks.

When this gets replaced is the oil going to have to be dropped?

Should I use this opportunity to replace other gaskets that may or may not be leaking?

If I'm placing an aircraft spruce order for a $1.95/part- anything else I should order to just have on hand as well?

Thanks all!

You should also replace the star washers. Get some EZ turn if you do not have a tube.
DENNY

Back